Memphis makes the ESPN "Bottom Ten"!!!

ESPN “Bottom Ten” hahaha
:smiley:

[font=Optima][SIZE=3]FANTASTIC STUFF!!![/font][/SIZE] :thumbsup:

Oh come on guys, they always start slow! They’ll be fine!

:rolleyes: That’s awesome.

Memphis is getting all the recognition that they should expect with having cal as their coach. They already got second least rootable team behind only huggins and the thug squad. Now they’ve made it onto the bottom ten by recruiting a bunch of street-ballin’ one and doners who all want to be like iverson and take 20 shots per and shoot 30%. Congrats Memphis, your becoming much like the early 90’s UNLV, sans national championship.

Interesting dual-analysis on the Tigers by Gary Parrish of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal. He has written “headed down” and “headed up” columns on Cal & Co. and even finds time to get in mention of Withers!

First, the “season is over” column:

[b][i]Which way now for UofM? Headed down

With a 5-4 record and issues plaguing the team, it’s hard to tell where things are going at the University of Memphis. But we have it figured out. After looking at it from every angle, we’re convinced that this season is …Headed down[/i]

By Gary Parrish
Memphis Commercial-Appeal
December 17, 2004

Analysis

The star player is suspended. The freshman point guard is struggling. Team chemistry is a disaster, unrepairable on some levels.

And that’s why this University of Memphis basketball season will go down as the one that got away and compete for national honors in the category of biggest disappointment.

With four double-digit losses in nine games – including a 12-point home defeat to Ole Miss – there was already plenty of evidence that this would end badly. Then came Tuesday’s news that John Calipari suspended Sean Banks indefinitely, and a letdown of a year was almost clinched.

Seriously, how good would Louisville be without Francisco Garcia? What about Marquette without Travis Diener? Or Charlotte without Curtis Withers?

Answer those questions, and it’s easy to see why Memphis will never meet its preseason expectations now, not without Banks on the court, not without Antonio Burks feeding him the ball to make awards like ESPN.com’s Freshman of the Year a reality.

Now some will argue that Banks will return soon and put up big numbers and lead Memphis to that Sweet 16 everybody predicted two months ago. But how is that possible, considering the 6-8 forward has alienated himself from several teammates, and shown little willingness to change his work ethic and approach to the game?

Thus it breaks down like this:

Without Banks, the Tigers don’t have the firepower to compete for a Conference USA title. With Banks, they are a team in turmoil, one that has already lost four games by a combined 69 points.

So take your pick. Neither option is good.

And then there’s the point guard situation, which is another reason for concern.

Darius Washington is a brilliant talent, and with his intense approach to learn and improve he will no doubt be great one day.

But not today.

The freshman has 25 assists and 34 turnovers this season. He had eight giveaways in the loss to Ole Miss and has had at least four in the past five games.

This sort of slow development would be manageable if Memphis could just sit its star prospect down at times and teach from the bench. But with Jeremy Hunt out for the next four weeks after wrist surgery, there are no alternatives other than Tank Beavers, a fellow freshmen who had barely seen the court until Calipari’s hand was forced by circumstances.

Add it all up, and the whole thing is just a big mess. So you can sit around and wait for the season to turn around if you like. But it’s worth noting that that’s what Missouri fans did last year, and they’re actually still waiting.[/b]

And, now, the “Tigers will rebound” column:

[b][i]Which way now for UofM? Headed up

With a 5-4 record and issues plaguing the team, it’s hard to tell where things are going at the University of Memphis. But we have it figured out. After looking at it from every angle, we’re convinced that this season is …Headed up[/i]

By Gary Parrish
Memphis Commercial-Appeal
December 17, 2004

Analysis

John Calipari has called this disastrous start to the season just a “bump in the road.” And though it’s clearly something the University of Memphis would’ve rather avoided, he views it as nothing more than a minor setback, something that may cost a high seed but not an NCAA Tournament berth.

And when you think about, why should Calipari be wavering? After all, every year he goes through this, and every year he gets things straightened out.

Remember last season’s back-to-back losses to Southern Miss and DePaul? What about two years ago, when the Tigers dropped consecutive games to Southern Miss and South Florida?

Those were bad times, too. But Calipari stayed constant with his approach, and in both seasons produced lengthy winning streaks.

The Tigers won 12 in a row two years ago. They won 11 straight last season.

So if past is prologue, then get ready for a run in January and February, one that will have Memphis in the mix for a Conference USA championship and positioned for that Sweet 16 appearance everybody predicted two months ago.

Now some will argue that this is different this time because of the chemistry issues, and the fact that Sean Banks has been suspended indefinitely. But that will be worked out.

Barring a surprise, Banks should be reinstated soon, if not before Monday’s game with Louisiana Tech. But if it takes longer, no big deal, because the Tigers’ next four games are at home and against schools with a combined record of 9-18.

In other words, Memphis should be capable of getting by without its top player for the immediate future. Then when Banks returns, the reigning ESPN.com Freshman of the Year will be a changed man with a better attitude and sense of teamwork.

Consequently, everybody will look back on this and insist it was the best thing that ever happened to the 6-8 forward. By then, it will be clear that Banks used the suspension to grasp the fact that without a good sophomore season the NBA and millions of dollars that come with it are out of the question.

Meanwhile, Jeremy Hunt will continue to rehab his surgically repaired wrist and return in mid-January. He’ll immediately add depth and toughness to the backcourt and give Memphis an option at point guard that will enhance the development of freshman Darius Washington.

All that, combined with Rodney Carney’s steady rise, Joey Dorsey’s comprehension of how to dominate in the post, Anthony Rice’s dependable jumper and Duane Erwin’s newfound fire (he threw up in practice Wednesday, then returned and finished strong) will put the Tigers in a position to succeed.

They’ll be playing their best basketball down the stretch and look like one of the elite teams in the country in March. And really, wasn’t that the goal in the first place?[/b]

Hmmm…

That’s bizarre.

I think his first column was more realistic.

Guess he has plenty of time on his hands.

Any team who has a bunch of players hurling in practice is sure to rebound. That second column was a little glossed over.

in my opinion coach cal is much harder to root for than huggins. i at least respect huggins. he is also good friends with lutz, i have heard.

[b]The freshman has 25 assists and 34 turnovers this season. He had eight giveaways in the loss to Ole Miss and has had at least four in the past five games. [/b]

wow, They better have another option or they are in serious trouble.

[i]Originally posted by pcon[/i]@Dec 19 2004, 10:03 AM [b]
[b]The freshman has 25 assists and 34 turnovers this season. He had eight giveaways in the loss to Ole Miss and has had at least four in the past five games. [/b]

wow, They better have another option or they are in serious trouble. [/b]

Breaks my heart. It sort of makes me want to go pay our dear friends a visit on their board.

I’m loving this…great stuff!!! :thumbsup:

i wonder what the memphis fans have to say about this “bottom ten” list. oh thats right: “our team always starts out slow!”

:rolleyes: :smiley: