Message to Bobby...Please Run Something for Curt!!

I sat very close last night (partially due to the pathetic crowd, though I can’t blame anyone for not coming after the Rutgers debacle) and I have to agree with someone in another post who said that Curt was sulking b/c he couldn’t get into the game. I noticed that…BUT…wouldn’t you be pissed if you ran all the way down the court only to have one of your guards (Plav) heave up an off-balanced 24-footer, only to have to run all the way back down 5 seconds into the shot clock???

So, my beef totally lies with Lutz. He should be ashamed of himself for a lot of things concerning Curtis Withers.

1. Not running plays for him. I know he can. The very first play of the second half was a backdoor screen and lob for him. He didn’t dunk it, but brought it down and finished. So, my question is does Bobby need a whole halftime to diagram a play for him?

2. Giving Plav that unbelievably long leash. 5-13, same old Plav. And I at least thought I saw frustration on Curt (and others) faces when some of those ill-advised fade-aways were launched.

3. Not coaching our point guard. I laughed last week when I read a poster who said it might be Mitch’s fault b/c he can’t make an entry pass. I feel like I could make an entry pass. But last night, time and time again I saw Mitch not even attempt the entry pass, only to tell Curt (or Martin) that it was “my bad”. Sorry, but that’s unacceptable.

4. Perhaps not making the first team run as many plays (or get them right) as much as the second team. Was it just me or did Lee and Sager (yes, Sager) actually look like they were the only ones thinking about where the ball was supposed to go on offense, rather than just going ISO? Everytime they were in the game together, it looked like they knew where the play was supposed to go, even if they didn’t execute 100% of the time. Our first team guys seem to just bail on the plays (if there are any) and go ISO.

Ashamed??? Are you serious? Mitch is in his 4th game of the year, coming into a season where he is the starting point guard for the first time and you want a seamless offense. Get real about this. We are going to need a little more than 4 games to fine tune this thing. In my opinion Curt was sleepwalking out there and I think him must be dragging still from being sick. And I like Lee, but there were a number of times he came down on the break al la BP and jacked up a 23 footer. I don’t think 23 bank shot threes is what the offense has in mind.

Curt has to demand the ball and he is not doing that right now. So far he has not shown the fire I saw in him last year and am disappointed. Hopefully he will get in the game, demand the ball, and take over like I know he can.

I am with you JK.

Plays were run for Withers, but he simply did not have a good game.

I think we need a little more motion without the ball from our big guys.

Hopefully he will have a coming out party against Alabama.

[i]Originally posted by BigTimeNiner[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 08:51 AM [b] I am with you JK.

Hopefully he will have a coming out party against Alabama. [/b]

I’m going with BigTime and others on this. Withers didn’t play with the intensity he brought most of last year. He didn’t seem focused. Iti was much more aggressive and assertive.

I do agree that we need to look for them both more often, swing the ball and MAKE THE ENTRY PASSES. It just looks like things are out of synch at times on the offensive end. We need to be clicking on all cylinders to beat Alabama Sat night.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 09:02 AM [b] I do agree that we need to look for them both more often, swing the ball and MAKE THE ENTRY PASSES. It just looks like things are out of synch at times on the offensive end. We need to be clicking on all cylinders to beat Alabama Sat night. [/b]
Yes... our guards need to work on making this pass. We have too many turnovers trying to get the ball inside and I think that makes them reluctant to throw it inside. Withers and Iti need to work on getting good position and catching the ball cleanly. Especially Withers... the ball seems to slip out of his hands a lot.

Looked like Curtis forgot to take his medicine, he was sleep walking out there. There was more than one ocassion down the floor that Curtis just stood there while mitchell/eddie/leemire was trying to run a play. But with whatever energy he was missing, Eddie more than made up for it.

I agree Bobnlinlutz, there needs to be more offensive plays that involve Withers. This team will only go as far as he will take us. Right now that is’t very far, way to go Lutz! We can’t depend on this ISO/three ball fest crap in a tight game. This & the fact we can’t shoot free throws is why we have trouble winning tight games!
There needs to be some set plays that will give Withers a chance to score or at least get to the charity stripe.

Note: I didn’t attend the game last night as a form of protest aginst the Rutgers game.

More notes: Basdin gets my game ball, the guy was everywhere last night!

[i]Originally posted by BigTimeNiner[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 08:51 AM [b] I am with you JK.

Hopefully he will have a coming out party against Alabama. [/b]

[b]Plays were run for Withers, but he simply did not have a good game.[/b]

Which “plays” were those? What I saw was Curt fighting for position on the block only to be ignored or to have a bad perimeter shot launched just as he was getting position. This went on for the first half, then he seemed to sulk the rest of the game. Can’t blame him.

Almost every coach in the country would be drooling over having a talent like Withers and would make sure he touched the ball every time down the floor. We let him handle the ball on the perimeter a few times/game and hope he can grab some rebounds. Complete waste of talent.

[i]Originally posted by JKniner[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 08:40 AM [b] Ashamed??? Are you serious? Mitch is in his 4th game of the year, coming into a season where he is the starting point guard for the first time and you want a seamless offense. Get real about this. We are going to need a little more than 4 games to fine tune this thing. In my opinion Curt was sleepwalking out there and I think him must be dragging still from being sick. And I like Lee, but there were a number of times he came down on the break al la BP and jacked up a 23 footer. I don't think 23 bank shot threes is what the offense has in mind. [/b]
Ummm, yes, completely serious. I'm not asking for a seamless offense this early, but I'd rather see our mistakes come when we're at least trying to involve our only player on the Wooden Watch. Let's have mistakes come in the form of trying to work the ball down low rather than taking ill-advised 3 pointers. And don't talk to me about how we shot 50% from out there last night, because we all know that won't be the case every night.

Why do you guys think Curt was sleepwalking? How many times did you see a pass thrown his way that he didn’t try to get? How many times did he NOT go out to halfcourt to trap in Lutz’s idiotic defensive scheme? What the hell are you guys talking about? Maybe you should comment on the game and not just the box score.

And, by the way, Mitch is a Junior. So, this is more like his 64th game, not this 4th. He played backup PG last year, and I’m guessing he practiced a lot at the Point last year. So, yeah, I do expect him to know how to make a frigging entry pass. Quit making excuses for this guy. He’s a one-trick pony (speed to the hole), not a PG. I don’t even think he can dribble that well, it’s more like he’s always trying to avoid a turnover rather than just dribble the ball.

Now, that said about Mitch, I recognize the fact that he’s what we’ve got. And that’s why my criticism goes to Lutz. He’s got to coach the PG to the point that he can and, more than that, WANTS to get the ball to the big fellas. There is no way, with this front line of Withers, Iti, Nance, Drayton, Basden that we should be jacking up 20+ 3s per game.

How can you guys not agree with that??

[i]Originally posted by Agent Smith[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 09:20 AM [b] Note: I didn't attend the game last night as a form of protest aginst the Rutgers game. [/b]
Protest? :blink:
[b]More notes: Basdin gets my game ball, the guy was everywhere last night![/b]

^ So how do you know that? Just by looking at the box score? :blink: :blink:

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi+Dec 2 2004, 09:25 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (49erpi @ Dec 2 2004, 09:25 AM)

If you guys believe that Lutz is a great coach you must be joking. He is a good recruiter but that’s it. The leash he gives Plav and Lee and Demon in the past is a joke. You think players don’t get frustrated watching Plav shoot from 50 ft out only to get a “thats ok” from Lutz. We have one of the best power forwards in the nation and we still live and die by the three. If we are ever going to make it to the next level then we have got to be balanced. QUIT SHOOTING FROM HALFCOURT. An illadvised three happens every now and then, but not 15 times a game. Grow a set Bobby and tell Plav to quit shooting. If he is open and it’s a good shot then Great, because he is one of the best shooters in the nation, but that doesn’t mean he has free range to do whatever he pleases.
GO NINERS!!!
GIVE IT TO CURT!!

[b]So how do you know that? Just by looking at the box score? [/b]

Note to ones self it’s called a radio… :butt:

[i]Originally posted by Ruckus42[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 09:36 AM [b] If we are ever going to make it to the next level then we have got to be balanced. [/b]
You don't call 5 players in double figures balanced? If Curt had made his damn free throws, we'd have had 6 players in double figures. I'm ecstatic that we don't have to rely on our most celebrated player night in and night out. Just when teams realize that they must pay attention to the other players, Curt will drop the hammer on them. And just when they key off him, the others pick up the load.

One key point to all this because last year Plavich took a beating from some of the fans on the old board. Lutz encourages him to shoot like that. Lutz is the one at fault, not Plavich. There were several plays run for Curtis to get him the ball inside but the entry passes for him were bad as well as he never seemed into the game.

I am a supporter of Bobby, but I have to agree on this one. I am very frustrated that we continue to live and die by the 3. We all know that this is going to bite us in the ass again this year. Last night, for example, we are playing an inferior team and we have a big lead in the 2nd half. Why not work on some plays, not just to Withers, but for all of our big men. What do we do? Jack up a 3 with more than 25 seconds on the shot clock. It’s all good when it goes in, but everyone on here would be raising hell if they didn’t fall.

Where does Curt get his points??? He isn’t a play with his back to the basket kinda guy and when he doesn’t have his defender sealed he won’t ge the ball. Last year we bitched about him receiving the ball at the top of the key 25 ft. from the basket, now its we don’t give it to him inside. He will get his but last night he wasn’t there. I didn’t see but twice where he could have received the ball underneath but didn’t. If the defense takes him away we gotta shoot the three…end of story. Sorry you don’t like this but its what we got. And if you guys wanna bash Bobby…to hell with ya. He is solid…good recruiter…good coach…end of story.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 10:00 AM [b] One key point to all this because last year Plavich took a beating from some of the fans on the old board. Lutz encourages him to shoot like that. Lutz is the one at fault, not Plavich. There were several plays run for Curtis to get him the ball inside but the entry passes for him were bad as well as he never seemed into the game. [/b]
If we have a gun like BP running around it opens up the whole court...He always catches the best perimeter defender so it opens it up for Eddie, Lee, and Mitch. Also the defender never doubles off BP to help with the passing. That opens up the whole side of the coart for Mitch and Curt. And for everyone in the gym to know Plav is gonna to get it and shoot and he still scores is amazing. We were supposed to win by 10 from the experts and we did. Why is everyone bitchin?

Because it will cost us in the end like it does every single year. Living and dying by the 3 will get us put out in the first round AGAIN!!!