message to greeks in 103

its lame enough that you pay for your friends, its even more lame that you pay for your friends but don’t seem to have an extra bit of cash to wear our school colors.

Anyone in 102 have an extra bit of cash for green spray paint to help “convert” the clothes in 103 to school colors?

Doesnt’ delta usually sit in that section. They are the frats with the green shirts. I noticed they were in 106 for ULL and pissed about it.

You know, I hear this “pay for your friends stuff” all of the time, and it just sounds silly, or at least not very well thought out. If I put money in the offering plate at church am I buying my friends? If I join a civic organization with dues am I buying my friends? If the real issue here is that you can’t get into a fraternity I can’t help you, but if you are only interested in what they are wearing let me suggest that that should be lower on your list of things to worry about. Let me get you started…

1. Fill that empty seat with a student that didn’t come to the game.
  2. Ask the students wearing the other school’s logo to please stop it.
  3. Do research on how to improve your fellow students’ free-throw shooting.
  4. Screaming Bulls**t at the top of your lungs is a good start, but be more clever. You are our real homecourt advantage.

A study conducted by the University of Missouri found that students involved in the Greek system are more likely to stay in school and support their alma maters after graduation than non-Greek students. They are also more likely to contribute to other non-profit organizations later on in life. On Saturday say thank you to the greeks because they will be very important in supporting the Niners for years to come. Spend your time ragging on those that don’t show up.

[i]Originally posted by Nugget[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 06:46 PM [b] A study conducted by the University of Missouri found that [i]students involved in the Greek system are more likely to stay in school and support their alma maters after graduation than non-Greek students. They are also more likely to contribute to other non-profit organizations later on in life.[/i] On Saturday say thank you to the greeks because they will be very important in supporting the Niners for years to come. Spend your time ragging on those that don't show up. [/b]
thats great but you have to realize at other schools like chapel hills and such the frats pay 1000's a year to be members of, not the little bit they pay here. so more money, yes more money to give back to their schools. have you seen the frat guys here? not exactly the typical preppy stereotype that you get with frats. With the commitment they have to the biggest nationally recognized program/event we have a charlotte i doubt many of these people will be giving much back when they cant even wear a green shirt rather label themselves as if the majority of us gave two cents.

H-Niner, I am really not trying to get into a shoving match on this because I don’t think I even know anyone at UNCC in a frat. When I was there many years ago I was in one and if I had had a choice between spending my money on a twelve-pack or a Niner Nation shirt, well it wasn’t a hard choice–but I was always at the game. The point is we need all of the fans and donors that we can get, greek and non-greek alike. Honestly, I don’t know whether most of my Niner friends today were in a fraternity/sorority or not, they are all just Niner fans. If we are going to beat up on people, let’s fight the non-participants, or the posers in the Tarheel hats. Let the greeks wear what they want. I think everyone knows who they are pulling for.

[i]Originally posted by Nugget[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 07:46 PM [b] A study conducted by the University of Missouri found that [i]students involved in the Greek system are more likely to stay in school and support their alma maters after graduation than non-Greek students. They are also more likely to contribute to other non-profit organizations later on in life.[/i] On Saturday say thank you to the greeks because they will be very important in supporting the Niners for years to come. Spend your time ragging on those that don't show up. [/b]
What does "more likely" mean?

Is that more likely as in a higher percentage of frat members than non-frat members or the number of frat members “giving back” is greater than non-frat members?

Careful with statistical studies, they usually don’t tell the whole story.

[i]Originally posted by Nugget[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 07:12 PM [b] H-Niner, I am really not trying to get into a shoving match on this because I don't think I even know anyone at UNCC in a frat. When I was there many years ago I was in one and if I had had a choice between spending my money on a twelve-pack or a Niner Nation shirt, well it wasn't a hard choice--but I was always at the game. The point is we need all of the fans and donors that we can get, greek and non-greek alike. Honestly, I don't know whether most of my Niner friends today were in a fraternity/sorority or not, they are all just Niner fans. If we are going to beat up on people, let's fight the non-participants, or the posers in the Tarheel hats. Let the greeks were what they want. I think everyone knows who they are pulling for. [/b]
i just think its pretty crappy that i camped out last night and i will have worse seats than someone who got tickets simply b/c they are greek.
[i]Originally posted by H-Niner[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 07:44 PM [b]i just think its pretty crappy that i camped out last night and i will have worse seats than someone who got tickets simply b/c they are greek.[/b]
They must attend all Niner sporting events to get their greek seats. That option is group seating and from what I understand is available to ANY students. If you don't like the camping route, you can sign up for group seating and go to volleyball games, soccer games, ect and earn your lower level tickets that way.

I’m with you 100% on the wearing green issue, but the Greeks are good fans, they make up a large portion of the crowd at non-men’s basketball games which is good for 49er sports in general. They are also loud and into the game at men’s bball games.

You are not going to do any good critisizing Greeks and all they stand for, if you come out with an intelligent arguement for wearing green such as getting together and mass producing Niner Nation shirts(for example), that would go a lot futher than insulting their choice to join a frat…

Why oh Why can we just take a page from Wake forest and have some ugly ass green tye-dyed shirt that EVERYONE wears to the game. It is amazing the difference it makes at the games and it gets EVERYONE involved united as one NINER NATION under Halton, indivisable, with rebounds and 3 pointers for all!!!

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 10:14 PM [b] Why oh Why can we just take a page from Wake forest and have some ugly ass green tye-dyed shirt that EVERYONE wears to the game. It is amazing the difference it makes at the games and it gets EVERYONE involved united as one NINER NATION under Halton, indivisable, with rebounds and 3 pointers for all!!! [/b]
Don't forget freethrows!!!
[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 09:14 PM [b]Why oh Why can we just take a page from Wake forest and have some ugly ass green tye-dyed shirt that EVERYONE wears to the game. It is amazing the difference it makes at the games and it gets EVERYONE involved united as one NINER NATION under Halton, indivisable, with rebounds and 3 pointers for all!!![/b]
I'm pretty sure this is the 2,493rd thread on this board over the past few months that has come to that exact conclusion.

The question is: how do we get that done? If it’s a student run production of t-shirts, there likely won’t be enough money or support up front to get enough made. If it’s school run, will people pay for them? Schools like Wake has assigned seats for every game based on a point system(I know NC State does, I think I remember Wake does the same) so when the school puts a shirt on the seat at the beginning of the year, the person sitting there will have that shirt all year long. There are a lot of issues, and everybody probably thinks a different approach will be the best way to go about it, it’s tough to get that many shirts made.

What is the first step??? Can someone design a shirt that is attractive yet affordable to mass produce? Where are we allowed to sell them? Would the frats take the lead and help distribute and sell these shirts. What can it cost to produce a green shirt with the pick logo on the chest or back?

If you guys want to make a difference, go to the ticket office and ask about Sport Marketing Association. It’s a student organization that actually does something to promote attendance at the games.

As for the t-shirts, I really like the old niner nation shirts, they were simple yet not ugly and I thought that would really catch on. Problem is that these things aren’t available on campus.

What I think would be a good idea is to organize a gear swap. Trade in some shirt/hoodie/hat and get a free Niner T-Shirt. All the collected gear gets donated to the mens/womens shelters in Charlotte. Problem is getting corporate underwriters who are willing to pay for the Shirts. Nothing is free in life they say. Any Niner Alums got any good connections and can help us out. If you can give me some leads, I have the connections to get something arranged.

[i]Originally posted by Nugget[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 06:46 PM [b] You know, I hear this "pay for your friends stuff" all of the time, and it just sounds silly, or at least not very well thought out. If I put money in the offering plate at church am I buying my friends? If I join a civic organization with dues am I buying my friends? If the real issue here is that you can't get into a fraternity I can't help you, but if you are only interested in what they are wearing let me suggest that that should be lower on your list of things to worry about. Let me get you started... [/b]
Well said Nugget. What an irrelevant topic to bring up. H must have had a bad experience with the greeks or something. Lashing out at them is not the answer. As much as I hate to say, fraternites are a business and need to be run like one. You have all kinds of expenses, dues, etc. If there's anything left over...IF... then put it's put toward a social fund. NOT PAYING FOR FRIENDS. That's a very uneducated statement. Here we are in Charlotte and all everyone talks about is ACC or their hometown team. There's very little buzz about the Niners, with the exception of SOME this season. Let's start with the big picture then worry about miniscul details later. Why wasn't the game sold out, why are there only about 2-3 per year?? Why are the majority of the "low-key games" populated by greeks?? Not only do greeks go to Men's basketball games, but try EVERY sport to support their NINERS, and EARN the lower level seats. By the way I was sitting in sec 103. I'm not an active greek, I'm an alumni of the Char. greek system. I'm an alum that donates to the niner club (what little I can), and I'm a 1st year alum at that. I know of 3 other brothers of mine that graduated with me and are donating already (1 doesn't even live in the state). Of my other non-greek friends I can't name one that has even expressed interest in giving back. Not that it matters...I don't judge them on that b/c they pull for their NINERS no matter what. It's just to prove a point. So, no 103 wasn't full of greeks. Check yourself H.

Guys, get together and get it done. Go to Dan Devos, get in touch with the Marketing Association and make it happen. All you need is one representative from each sub-group and agree to SOMETHING. The season is here!!!

We’ll be on national TV soon and WE DON’T WANT TO LOOK LIKE UAB!!!

We are a University!!! Make it happen!!! The Alumni will be very proud.

I personally don’t care for Frats and got anoyed freshmen year with the constant harrassment to join. However, to the frat that wears green to every game, I salute you. I too wonder why the frats won’t all wear green but that’s life.