Mike Cook - ECU transfer

From the LaSalle message board:

Mike Cook update

Related stuff:

Cook Granted Release To Transfer

Mike Cook Biography

Cook Named To All C-USA Freshman Team

I wonder if the interest is both ways. Do we really need another guard for the 06/07 season?

Very interesting. He has good size and from what I remember, good athleticism. He dropped 18 on us last year in that debacle at Minges.

I’d be interested to see how this works out. ECU had a few good players, just never enough to beat us (except for that last game).

More on Cook in the Greenville Reflector:

[b][b]Cook's next stop?[/b]

One of the spots on ECU’s roster opened up when sophomore forward Mike Cook decided to transfer last month.

Cook, who averaged 12.8 points per game in two seasons at ECU, has not indicated where he will transfer just yet. He did name four possibilities when contacted on Thursday, however. They were Pittsburgh, La Salle, Charlotte and Georgia Tech.

He has a couple of classes to finish up online before making his decision. [/b]

Link: Refector.com

his high school numbers are pretty impressive, and thats at New Hampton (where Jerrell Lewis went), which plays against some serious competition

Cook was a good sized guard that liked having control of the ball… too bad he wasn’t under control with the ball. He was a not a shooter but he could score in spurts. I feel more comfortable if we passed on this guy.

He could be of some use to us. He has decent stats and some upside. We could fit him in somewhere.

Maybe he just geared up for Charlotte but I liked the guy. Definitely big body, and like Apex said, played the point some. For his size I thought he was versatile. Coming from the Philly area(I think) I always wondered why he picked ECU.

[i]Originally posted by Normmm[/i]@Jun 3 2005, 04:40 PM [b] Coming from the Philly area(I think) I always wondered why he picked ECU. [/b]
Bill Herrion, who had been the coach at Drexel before taking the ECU job. Maintained his Philly recruiting connections when he headed south to Greenville.

220lbs at 6’4". Led the team in assists. And yes he did play good against Charlotte. His freshman season he had his highest scoring game of the year against the 49ers. His sophmore season he had his second higest scoring game for the season(also the second highest on the team for the season), 22 points, against Charlotte.

Decent ball player, but wouldn’t fit well with our scheme. Not a long range shooter and too small for the wing (IMO). Plus, the wing is loaded anyway. We need 3 point shooters to make Lutz offense click at the 2 spot. Good fit for another A 10 school. No way he’ll wind up at Pitt or GT.

Per Jason Jordan at NinerReport.com, Cook made a visit to Charlotte. Apparently the other schools in the running are GW and Pitt.

Mike Cook is visiting Charlotte

Won’t make the LaSalle people very happy… :rolleyes:

I would be greatly surprised if he was offered by Pitt. GW (A10) sounds very likely.

I work with an ECU grad who says Cook is not worth the trouble. He said that none of the ECU players are sad to see Cook go. He was a good player against us, but if what I’m hearing is correct + the fact that we are already loaded at the guard spots, it might be best to pass this one up.

Could being the best player on a so-so team have inflated his stats, plus if he is used to being the go-to guy he may play selfishly. Why can’t any decent forwards transfer?

The Philly Inquirer is reporting that Cook will probably end up at LaSalle. Hmmm…

[b]Trading spaces. Friends' Central graduate Mike Cook, who already has received his release to transfer from East Carolina, is likely to wind up at La Salle. Consider him the player to be named later in a trade of sorts, since David Bell already had transferred from La Salle to East Carolina and will be eligible to play for the Pirates this season. (Cook will have to sit out this season.) La Salle also has been a possible destination for Seton Hall transfer Justin Cerasoli, but Mississippi looks like the favorite for him.[/b]
Philly.com: [url=http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/12018380.htm]Big East about to get huge; A-10 will have 14[/url]

Sportsline.com is providing cooberation of the Philly Inquirer’s blurb on Cook:

[b]Giannini is still in the running for a pair of Division I-A transfers in 6-4 Mike Cook (East Carolina) and 6-5 Justin Cerasoli (Seton Hall). Landing both would really help the Explorers after Smith leaves. A native of Philadelphia who played at Friends Central (Pa.) High before heading to New Hampton Prep School, Cook averaged 12.8 points per game during his two seasons at ECU. Cook was the team's leading scorer last season as a sophomore, averaging 15.0 points per game. As a rookie, he tallied 10.4 points per game and earned All-Conference USA Freshman Team honors. Cook seems like a better bet to be an Explorer than Cerasoli, who averaged 6.2 points and 2.5 assists in 26 games (including 10 starts) for Seton Hall. Cerasoli is said to be leaning toward signing with Ole Miss. [/b]
Link: [url=http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/teams/report/LSLE/8616708]Sportsline.com[/url]

07/14/05

Looks like our chances are slim.

He has currently narrowed his list of potential destinations to Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Georgia Tech and La Salle. He is very close to a decision. “Pitt has been my leader. I like the program quite a bit and Coach Dixon is a great guy. Pittsburgh is an established program, but I think I could make an impact there.”

Looks like Pitt is it for Mr. Cook…

PantherLair.com - Basketball Board

Big East Basketball Report - August 2, 2005