Mike Hill and the Future

It seems to me that Mike Hill needs to redefine gold standard, to me that means setting the highest standards and doing what it takes to achieve those standards, and giving contract extensions for mediocrity is not part of that agenda, and neither is holding on to coaches that are not meeting the high standards that we supposedly set for our program, making timely coaching changes is part of the process of achieving the gold standard, if we are not willing to do what it takes to meet this agenda then call it what it really is, aluminum standard

It is the UNC system. App is not a threat to Chapel Hill; Charlotte is.

Charlotte is content with a participation trophy. Nice place to get a paycheck being average. It is encouraged. Prove me wrong.

1 Like

We suck on our own. It makes us feel better if there is a boogie man out to get us but it stops us from fixing what is actually wrong.

6 Likes

Why would App not be a threat but Charlotte isā€¦ you do know App, Charlotte and Chapel hill are all in the same system rightā€¦

4 Likes

I agree with your sentiments of an anti Charlotte bias in the UNC system in general terms. Thatā€™s all part of the rest of the state vs the Great State Of Mecklenburg that has been going on longer than we have been alive.

It does trickle down to our school in things like funding and starting professional programs.

See the rule changes they put in to keep other institutions from partnering with hotels like we did for the on campus hotel. Obvious example of the boot being put on the neck of the rest of the system.

If you peruse the Wikipedia pages of many other teams we play and many other post WW2 institutions you will see many with professional schools, that have not been held back by their BOG/State Govt.

Personally I donā€™t understand the attitude. UNC CH and NC State have like 100-150 ish year head start. No one in the system is going to overtake them in academic standing.

I just donā€™t believe that can trickle down to the field. We have had plenty of chances over the years to take that next step on the field and on the court. So far it hasnā€™t happened. I believe it will.

Judy > Hill

Weā€™re in terrible shape with multiple contracts. Basketball attendance is worse since he started. As much as I enjoy college baseball, revenue sports move the needle. We are worse in both sports. Especially with his contract extensions of Sanchez

And I stand by my opinion that he gets no credit for the AAC. We simply got in based off the ā€œCharlotte Marketā€.

Hillā€™s saving grace would be funding the Evergreen projects. If he brings enough money to fund most or all of them, then he will have surpassed any AD before him in funding the program.

Hill and the future is tied into what he does with Healy and Sanchez. Itā€™s possible he could fire both at the end of this year. Which he should. But talk about whiffing on your two most important hires. Maybe heā€™s in over his head? Or doesnā€™t have the ability to bring in someone that can deliver the goods. Either way heā€™s dragging down any success he has achieved with these two miserable hires.

Unless Sanchez only wins five games this upcoming season I think he is safe. Hill talks so highly of Sanchez I just donā€™t think heā€™ll part ways with him until we get closer to 2026.

If he can hit the funding levels needed to expand stadium and some of the other facilities he will leave a huge legacy when combined with AAC invite and branding. I know many of you discount getting into AAC but it wasnā€™t anywhere near the lock yā€™all think it was. Those things are about positioning the AD for the next 20/25 years.

Now it is true he has to fix the two revenue sports. Whiffing on both is tough to stomach and he has to fix it. Weā€™ve talked about it plenty but Ron was a great hire. There were ADs fighting over him. It just hasnā€™t worked out. Mike has to make the call and move on. With Will it was an outside of the box hire. Rolled the dice and lost. Again he has to own up and move on.

He deserves a second pass at each. Zero room for error. Something to consider is Phil hired Mike. Iā€™m sure Gaber is looking at this closely as she has a more positive view of the role of athletics and their impact.

9 Likes

I am not ready to see Mike go yet. He got an athletic program that was in sad shape. The facilities plan he has put out is excellent! Getting us in the AAC was a plus. Booster membership has increased. Now we have to see how he does in fund raising. He is on the right path. I agree with you Ninerwupass, it comes down to fund raising. The wins will come if he is successful at that. We are so behind in facilities for football at the D1 level. This has to hurt recruiting for not just players but good coaches. We just need to remember that no matter how tough things get we keep supporting our team. Tailgate harder through the pain Niners!!!

6 Likes

So what comes first? Fundraising or having a winning athletics program? Iā€™m not so convinced as yā€™all are that it all comes down to fundraising. I agree, getting our facilities to D1 level is an absolute requirementā€¦but I donā€™t put it ahead of winning programs.

I think there needs to be more of a distinction on an ADs performance between A) Facilities Master Plan & B) Hiring coaches that will build winning programs.

A) Iā€™m stoked about the Evergreen Master Planā€¦now letā€™s see it built!

B) Yes, he inherited an athletic program that was in bad shapeā€¦and itā€™s arguably worse now.

Personally, Iā€™m watching him like a hawk to see what he does with Healy (as we all are). If being ranked in the bottom 10 of all of FBS isnā€™t enough reason to fire him, then Ill truly question his leadership, it should be an EASY decision for any AD.

I think it is time we consider cutting some scholarship sports. Athletic programs are about promoting the university, providing alumni a venue to return back to campus to reconnect, and fund raising. As long as student fees are largely funding athletics I donā€™t see a reason why we sponsor more sports than many SEC schools. Time to concentrate some of those resources to the sports that draw attention. I know you have to keep some sports for Title IX but I think some fat could be trimmed. Make more sports teams club sports.

Frost just became available

Basketball is not only awful, we are getting under 2000 fans per game often now. Simply unsustainable and embarrassing.

Itā€™s a bad product even when we win.

I donā€™t see any way the team improves this year and the recruiting is getting worse now that the smoke has cleared and everyone sees how awful Ron is.

Isnā€™t there an NCAA D1 minimum?

If we are not at that minimum yes I agree. Cut costs and pump every dime you can into football, mens basketball, mens soccer and mens baseball.

1 Like

Do you guys think frost should have been fired and would you consider him at Charlotte?

Minimum for NCAA D-I membership that includes FBS football is 16 teams.

Neither ā€œcomes firstā€. They are just two sides of the AD coin. The business side and the sports side. Better business yields better sports and better sports yield better business. When you judge a AD it kind of has to be both sides equally, they are two distinct sides of the job but extremely interdependent on the other.

For the record Judy sucked in both sides and we just put her in the HoF.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll go ahead and say it. Judy wasnā€™t all bad. She drug her feet on football but we had some solid things happen under her. And she doesnā€™t have one Fucking thing to do with the train wreck we are now.

5 Likes