'Money Games'

http://obsfifty.blogspot.com/2008/09/money-games-mix-good-with-bad.html

[QUOTE]
The smaller schools call them ā€œmoney games,ā€ and essentially what they amount to is taking a beating from a larger program in return for checks that reach $400,000 and higher.

[/QUOTE]

What about them?

Iā€™m sure weā€™ll have to do some when we get started in 2012.

iā€™d be more than willing to make a road trip to LSU to watch us get popped by 50 our first year because it would mean

A) we have football.
B) we get paid.

[QUOTE=jfickett;339513]iā€™d be more than willing to make a road trip to LSU to watch us get popped by 50 our first year because it would mean

[/QUOTE]

Only lose by 50? I would take that bet.

I want us to get paid by UCLA/So Cal, Hawaii, UCF, UNLV, or U of Miami. Those are cool places to visit.

[QUOTE=upperdeck;339515]Only lose by 50? I would take that bet.[/QUOTE]

assuming they play their 2nd and 3rd stringers after the 1st quarter and we score at least ONCE

money games will have to happen. not really a new idea.

hopefully they will only happen for a fixed amount of time at Charlotte.

Iā€™m curious how long it would take for teams to be coming to the campus of UNC Charlotte for a ā€œmoney gameā€.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;339521]money games will have to happen. not really a new idea.

hopefully they will only happen for a fixed amount of time at Charlotte.

Iā€™m curious how long it would take for teams to be coming to the campus of UNC Charlotte for a ā€œmoney gameā€.[/QUOTE]

My only hope is that we donā€™t allow our first ever game to be a money game. If our first game isnā€™t at home, that would be a travesty.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;339524]My only hope is that we donā€™t allow our first ever game to be a money game. If our first game isnā€™t at home, that would be a travesty.[/QUOTE]

agreed. it better be at home.

but if its notā€¦we drive. all of us.

[QUOTE=jfickett;339527]agreed. it better be at home.

but if its notā€¦we drive. all of us.[/QUOTE]

If thatā€™s the caseā€¦ I hope to God we donā€™t play Hawaiā€™i.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;339517]I want us to get paid by [B]UCLA/So Cal[/B], [B]Hawaii[/B], UCF, [B]UNLV[/B], or U of Miami. Those are cool places to visit.[/QUOTE]
You wonā€™t make much money making those trips after the expenses are paid.

Another issue is having the capacity in order to pay someone to play.

Hereā€™s a basketball example of Charlotte paying a team vs UNC-Chapel Hill paying a team, $40,000 to play.

• 9,100 seats, 4500 of which canā€™t be sold at $25.00 each totals $115,000, net $75,000
  • 21,750 seats, 3000 of which canā€™t be sold at $25.00 each totals $468,750, net $428,750

Itā€™s so easy to see how the rich get richer.

I say we play our first game in Chapel Hill. Niner Nation will be louder than the rest of Kenan Stadium

I also just thought of this question. Does the money game concept apply to other sports(non-basketball, football) or is it really just limited to those 2? Maybe this is something Coach Lipsitz could answer or someone else who has knowledge.

[QUOTE=CharlotteLacrosse16;339530]I say we play our first game in Chapel Hill. Niner Nation will be louder than the rest of Kenan Stadium[/QUOTE]

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: like chapel hill would actually play us!:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Chapel Hell would probably demand a discount because theyā€™d claim they were doing us a "favor."
Theyā€™d offer everyone else $850K, & try to stiff us for $700K.

I say we play our first game at home, then fill the rest of our non-conference schedule with money gamesā€¦ that will flatten out the profit curve for us a bit.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;339535]I say we play our first game at home, then fill the rest of our non-conference schedule with money gamesā€¦ that will flatten out the profit curve for us a bit.[/QUOTE]

being that we would likely play as a 1-AA independent, that would give us a total of 1 home game. uh oh.

I want us to get paid by UCLA/So Cal, Hawaii, UCF, UNLV, or [B][I][U]U of Miami[/U][/I][/B]. Those are cool places to visit.

That place is in ****sville Coral Gablesā€¦ a damn dump

First game at home vs Davidson. Next 2 weeks money games at UGA and VT.