More coaching staff discussion

I do wonder if the folks who say that are willing to undergo a 5 year rebuilding process. I understand the sentiment, but the talent level is not completely broken in the program, and recruiting is solid (though no PG yet). It’s a tough pill to swallow to flush the one good thing that this staff has done.

Contrast that to the last regime change we had - we had almost no recruits.

I do wonder if the folks who say that are willing to undergo a 5 year rebuilding process. I understand the sentiment, but the talent level is not completely broken in the program, and recruiting is solid (though no PG yet). It’s a tough pill to swallow to flush the one good thing that this staff has done.

Contrast that to the last regime change we had - we had almost no recruits.[/quote]

And yet we are in the same exact spot. The talent level may not be “completely broken”… but the results sure as hell are. Clearly, talent can’t coach itself.

If it takes 5 years to rebuild, you hired the wrong guy AGAIN… But to answer your question: Yes, I’m willing to let COMPETENT leadership have a shot, and I’m willing to give it time…

Contrast that to the last regime change we had - we had almost no recruits.[/quote]

And yet we are in the same exact spot. The talent level may not be “completely broken”… but the results sure as hell are.

If it takes 5 years to rebuild, you hired the wrong guy AGAIN… But to answer your question: Yes, I’m willing to let COMPETENT leadership have a shot, and I’m willing to give it time…[/quote]
I’m not advocating keeping the staff, but let’s say they are shown the door and with them go Dorn, Woods and Ezunda. Not sure that is a route I would choose to go down

No one would willfully choose that route but we can’t keep an incompetent staff on the fear that we may lose a player or 12.

And yet we are in the same exact spot. The talent level may not be “completely broken”… but the results sure as hell are.

If it takes 5 years to rebuild, you hired the wrong guy AGAIN… But to answer your question: Yes, I’m willing to let COMPETENT leadership have a shot, and I’m willing to give it time…[/quote]
I’m not advocating keeping the staff, but let’s say they are shown the door and with them go Dorn, Woods and Ezunda. Not sure that is a route I would choose to go down[/quote]

I tell those kids “Good luck and best wishes”… You don’t mortgage the program for 3 years of of two kids and 4 of a complete unknown.

I’m not advocating keeping the staff, but let’s say they are shown the door and with them go Dorn, Woods and Ezunda. Not sure that is a route I would choose to go down[/quote]

I tell those kids “Good luck and best wishes”… You don’t mortgage the program for 3 years of of two kids and 4 of a complete unknown.[/quote]
Not disagreeing but those 3 walk with the seniors leaving now and you think we suck now…

I tell those kids “Good luck and best wishes”… You don’t mortgage the program for 3 years of of two kids and 4 of a complete unknown.[/quote]
Not disagreeing but those 3 walk with the seniors leaving now and you think we suck now…[/quote]
Levels of suck don’t really matter to me- Sucking is sucking… If we aren’t going to make the NCAA’s for a few more years I’d rather have a staff that can coach up a group than a staff that keeps throwing s*** against the wall hoping something sticks.

Like they say, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

When we are attempting to hire a new coach we are probably a lot more attractive to candidates if we tell them we are not going to release all of our players the first year. This team has some real building blocks to start with. Also, there are APR considerations to consider. We do not want anyone that is not in good academic standing leaving us. I am sure that holding the players here is not being done in a punitive way. It is just an unfortunate reality when coaching changes are made.

This is why we need a deal in place with a new coach before we make any move… Remove A, replace with B the same day… Let coach B re recruit the team… Don’t allow any time between the moves

This is why we need a deal in place with a new coach before we make any move… Remove A, replace with B the same day… Let coach B re recruit the team… Don’t allow any time between the moves[/quote]

I think one factor not discussed is WHO the coach will be. Some coaches may be more appealing to the players than others. I’m not convinced our current players will automatically go running toward the door.

we lose an average of 3 guys a year with Major and we are discussing the fears of guys leaving if we fire him?

Lets also add that Major can’t win. Having studs and losing is worse than losing with crap players.

Lets also add that Major can’t win. Having studs and losing is worse than losing with crap players.[/quote]

Let’s also add that Major’s recruits can’t win so do we really lose something if we don’t have his recruits take up 4 year’s of scholarships.

Not disagreeing but those 3 walk with the seniors leaving now and you think we suck now…[/quote]
Levels of suck don’t really matter to me- Sucking is sucking… If we aren’t going to make the NCAA’s for a few more years I’d rather have a staff that can coach up a group than a staff that keeps throwing s*** against the wall hoping something sticks.

Like they say, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.[/quote]

This.

All we need is a coach with some local ties that the players/fans know can coach. Our guys cant be happy bricking free throws and not being prepared for games. Show them a guy who has won before at the college level and they will follow.

Really any of the coaches mentioned in the other thread should be able to keep the roster in tact.

Side note: If judy wants to go cheap and retains the staff, can someone recommend that she contract Mark Price to teach shooting over the summer. If he can fix MKG’s god awful shooting motion in one off season, he can fix our team.

This is why we need a deal in place with a new coach before we make any move… Remove A, replace with B the same day… Let coach B re recruit the team… Don’t allow any time between the moves[/quote]
It is bad form to go looking for a new coach until we part with our current coach. Now if a deal has already been struck, but not announced, due to medical reasons…

Similar things were said with Henry, Nickerson, Clayton and Clark, when they were freshmen and look where that got us. I don’t think keeping the staff just to save recruits is the right choice.

And let’s be honest. While I do like those players. For the most part they’re 3 star recruits. We’re not necessarily talking about program changers.

Isn’t it an average of 2 players a year?

Isn’t it an average of 2 players a year?[/quote]
I calculated 2.4. You can’t have a partial player, so I went with 3.

Spears, sirin, jones, kj, deuce, Mayfield, luka, evic, clark, ingram, lester, bryan (12 players over 5 completed seasons)