More depressing football news

Getting really tired of all these feel-good, progressive, success stories of schools smaller than us doing well with football. Two really good pieces in today’s Observer on the Pembroke program and the success of Coastal Carolina.

Pembroke prepares for kickoff:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/14313513.htm

[QUOTE]It’s going to increase our fees a little bit and some people might be worried about that," said Billy Blackmon, a freshman who commutes from nearby Hope Mills. “But it’s going to be a major boost for entertainment around here, especially with people always leaving for the weekend.”

A fund-raising campaign will cover other expenses, including $4 million for a field house and the expansion of the school’s stadium that will increase seating capacity from 1,500 to 5,000.

To help cut costs, Shinnick is inventive. He is calling Colorado and Vanderbilt – schools that share the Braves’ gold-and-black colors – to see if they have old practice gear to donate. The Carolina Panthers have given shoes to the team.[/QUOTE]

It CAN be done folks…

Coastal Carolina:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/14313509.htm

While consistently selling out its stadium (soon to be expanded from 6,500 seats to 7,500), Coastal Carolina is 19-3 over the past two seasons and beat then-defending NCAA Division I-AA national champion James Madison in 2005. Shaw won the 2004 CIAA championship and Saint Augustine's went 8-2 last season.

“The winning helps,” said Koegel. “But we’re getting more people on our campus and it’s helped in a lot ways. Fund raising is up for areas other than athletics. We’re definitely where we want to be.”

Just lovely…:unhappy:

Great. :pout:

Sign me up for a Can Do attitude around here.

[QUOTE=VA49er;167678]Great. :pout:[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. It’s pretty sad that these smaller schools can start a program and make it work, but we can’t even attempt it. Who cares what division we start in, what conference we play in, where we play our games, or how many scholarship players we have? You have to start somewhere and work your way up.

They should really start some kind of money raising campaign specifically for football. Send out donation forms separate from the regular ones and state this money will only be used to start a football program. I would make a healthy donation, and I think many others would as well. Once the initiative was underway, we could probably get some of the larger local companies on board as well. Even if it too 5-10 years to raise enough money to actually get started, at least we would be moving in the right direction.

[FONT=Arial]I don’t think football will be added under the current administration:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=darkgreen][I]As Charlotte – one of six non-football playing schools in the 14-team Atlantic 10 basketball membership – moves forward, school officials say they are content to do so without football, a sport with high start-up costs that is unlikely to make money soon.[/I][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=darkgreen][I]“I don’t think that question is high on my list,” said UNC Charlotte chancellor Philip Dubois. “… It’s not a high priority on the radar; it’s behind academics and other aspects. It’s a pretty low intensity item.”[/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

My thoughts exactly. It's pretty sad that these smaller schools can start a program and make it work, but we can't even attempt it. Who cares what division we start in, what conference we play in, where we play our games, or how many scholarship players we have? You have to start somewhere and work your way up.

They should really start some kind of money raising campaign specifically for football. Send out donation forms separate from the regular ones and state this money will only be used to start a football program. I would make a healthy donation, and I think many others would as well. Once the initiative was underway, we could probably get some of the larger local companies on board as well. Even if it too 5-10 years to raise enough money to actually get started, at least we would be moving in the right direction.

Dr. Dubois as stated that he is not interested in 1AA.

I’ve sent him several emails regarding my interest in football. Perhaps if others did the same he may change his mind?

[COLOR=darkgreen]pdubois@email.uncc.edu[/COLOR]

Of course we can fund/start football like these schools are doing. The question is where it falls in the grand scheme of things (academic and athletic). We’re trying to compete at the highest level in all current sports and need every dollar we can get devoted to it. Football would take away from it.

Remember, these schools are doing it to increase enrollment. UNCC will grow from 20,000 to 30,000 students in the next 10 years. No additional draw necessary.

On the other hand, student fees from 20,000-30,000 students is a lot of $$$.

I say start it up. D1-AA and join the Southern Conference for football.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;167689]We’re trying to compete at the highest level in all current sports and need every dollar we can get devoted to it. Football would take away from it.
[/QUOTE]

[size=7]YOU ARE IN THE [b]ATLANTIC-10 CONFERENCE!!![/B]

THE [B]ATLANTIC-10 CONFERENCE[/B] IS [B]NOT[/B] ON THE [B]HIGHEST LEVEL[/B] OF ANYTHING!!!![/size]

Oh boy, I smell another Truth Revolution…

Of course we can fund/start football like these schools are doing. The question is where it falls in the grand scheme of things (academic and athletic). We're trying to compete at the highest level in all current sports and need every dollar we can get devoted to it. Football would take away from it.
And it's this train of thought which will keep us from every progressing as a [I]real [/I]athletic program. I get tired of hearing that we're not getting football because we'd rather excel at other sports. That's crap and a complete copout. To be honest, I'd rather have a more successful football program than basketball. Yes, I love college basketball and enjoy seeing our program do well. But nothing says "collegiate sports" like a Saturday afternoon on the gridiron, regardless of the success. And these schools are proving that you can win early. It just takes initiative, motivation and determination to establish it...something our school is void of when it comes to football.

As Max said, at least get the ball rolling. No one is suggesting we have to step on the field next year. The point is to just form a plan and start working on it. You can argue money, other sports, Title IX, I-A/I-AA, facilities, talent, etc. all you want but every bit of it is just an excuse when you look at what these other schools are doing. The guy from Pembroke actually was resourceful enough to get used equipment from other programs. That’s the type of person we need in place here. Someone who believes in the product and has a passion to make it happen.

In the meantime, I guess it’s another Fall of pulling for another school’s football team.

And FYI: yes, Lefty, I did see you are in favor of starting a program. I was just focusing on the first paragraph because it’s become such a redundant, piss-poor excuse I hear from the higher-ups.

The state of NC needs another crappy football program about as much as it needs another Jim Black. The fact that Pembroke and Coastal Carolina are trotted out as examples of “good” programs speaks for itself. Perhaps Charlotte could put together a home and away series with Davidson!!! Yeah, let’s spend millions of bucks to put out a product that will attract 4,000 for 5 Saturday’s per year.

The state of NC needs another crappy football program about as much as it needs another Jim Black. The fact that Pembroke and Coastal Carolina are trotted out as examples of "good" programs speaks for itself. Perhaps Charlotte could put together a home and away series with Davidson!!!! Yeah, let's spend millions of bucks to put out a product that will attract 4,000 for 5 Saturday's per year.

Actually, we can only dream of being that lucky. We barely had that many at some of our basketball games this year so what’s the point? And I’ll take a Davidson football rivalry any day. I’m sure the majority of Niner fans would say the same thing. It’s not just about the game btw.

Do you work in our Administration? The mentality is par for the course with that assumption.

I hear the chancellor talking about traditional campus with more atmosphere… football would be fine start at any level.

Now that NC has the lottery ya’ll start buying some tickets. I’ve bought some up here but no luck yet. :unhappy:

Oh boy, I smell another Truth Revolution....

OK…then, Que My Song!!

Listen, I want football just as badly as everyone else here. But the TRUTH is still what it always has been. We don’t have the financial resources to add it (and comply with Title IX). These smaller schools don’t have 1/4 the athletic budget we ALREADY have. The Pembroke’s don’t have OUR issues. You can’t solve OUR issues with a PEMBROKE solution.

Our issue is that we can’t fund our CURRENT athletic dept.
We can’t sell 6K tickets for a very good basketball team.
We don’t have the money to pay our current coaches (Asst Coach Turnover anyone) because of lack of funding.

1 of 2 things would have to happen.

1- We completely tear down the entire structure of our athletic dept and reorganize with Football at the forefront which will cut out a lot of other sports and basically gamble our athletic dept existense on a sport we have never had and will be a start up in a community of already PROVEN lukewarm support.

2- We, as alumni and students get off of our collective asses and do something. I’ve said it 12,597 times. QUIT BITCHIN’ and start stroking some checks. It doesn’t matter if you earmark it specifically for a Football initiative…but that would help. The Athletic Dept has to prove there is a stream of money to support such a large initiative. Get friends, get parents, get relatives, get co-workers to pitch in (if you’re serious about this).

We have a Niner for Niner program for CURRENT 49er club supporters to go recruit new ones. DO IT! I’m going after my dad this year and a former college roomie that now lives in Boston (he’s not too bright, so I’m sure I’ll get him to contribute). I think these referrals help your own 49er Club standings too. If not, it’s bringing in more funds…which is what we need.

Bottom line is…we have to PROVE we can fund and support this type of initiative. We have to solve OUR issues which is mainly the "apathetic " issue. We bitch and bitch and bitch but we do nothing. This won’t get us football…and that’s the TRUTH!!

Take responsibility. Our own student/fan/alumni base is to blame. If you want something bad enough you have to make sacrifices. Start stroking checks…and recruit some new 49er Club members and MAKE IT HAPPEN.

…OUT!

Que My Song (again)!!!

Queue

No, I don’t work for the “administration.” But I stand by my point. As Ktowner points out, if you want it, pay for it. Get out your checkbooks and make it happen. The alum at NC State are signing checks as we type to get Calipari. There isn’t a magic stream of money to start up a football program.

“According to the NCAA (Fulks, 2001), contributions from alumni and others, or fund raising, is the second-largest revenue source for Division I-A athletic programs, trailing only ticket sales. Fund raising accounts for nearly five million dollars of the typical Division I-A athletic programs’ $25 million of total revenue, and, as such, is clearly a vital source of funding for intercollegiate athletic programs” (http://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No1/Chad_McEvoy.asp).[URL=http://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No1/Chad_McEvoy.asp]ttp://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No1/Chad_McEvoy.asp[/URL]

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;167689]I say start it up. D1-AA and join the Southern Conference for football.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been saying this for years. What’s wrong with D1-AA? We will never be able to compete on a D1 level, so let’s play on the AA level. The Southern Conference is the best conference in the nation at that level. Not to mention we would already have natural rivalries with App, Furman, and Elon. For some reason, our administration only wants to compete on the D1 level which will NEVER happen!

It’s actually good to see the crowd opposed to football. I was wondering where you were on the Campbell thread.

Are you bringing up the football checks again to prove a point or just to win the argument? It would take some convincing for me to believe that the schools mentioned here caved in on football because of alumni writing checks. Put the cart behind the horse.

It’s amazing to me - Calipari is being offered over $2 mil. to coach a team for a season. Campbell is able to budget an entire football program including the cost of building a stadium for less than that. Oh well…40 more years of assessing the situation for football I suppose.

No, I don't work for the "administration." But I stand by my point. As Ktowner points out, if you want it, pay for it. Get out your checkbooks and make it happen. The alum at NC State are signing checks as we type to get Calipari. There isn't a magic stream of money to start up a football program.

“According to the NCAA (Fulks, 2001), contributions from alumni and others, or fund raising, is the second-largest revenue source for Division I-A athletic programs, trailing only ticket sales. Fund raising accounts for nearly five million dollars of the typical Division I-A athletic programs’ $25 million of total revenue, and, as such, is clearly a vital source of funding for intercollegiate athletic programs” (http://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No1/Chad_McEvoy.asp).ttp://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No1/Chad_McEvoy.asp

Considering that the vast majority of Niner fans, students and alumni want a football program, I think it’s safe to assume the funds would be donated IF those mentioned felt confident a football program was in the works. Very few people are going to start pumping in more money when the Chancellor is on record pretty much saying football isn’t happening. When the Chancellor says “Football is a low intensity item right now UNLESS our donors start giving more money to help make this a reality” I’ll then opt to cough up more. I’m sure others will as well.