More evidence a name change needed

While talking about southern colleges we are referred to as the Charlotte campus of U.N.C. We got to change the name.

[QUOTE]Some colleges on the route — Duke, Wake Forest, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill — need no introduction. But Guilford, as well as Furman, in South Carolina; Davidson and Elon in North Carolina; and the Charlotte campus of U.N.C. have been known mostly to residents south of Maryland.[/QUOTE]

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/education/edlife/south.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Also,

[QUOTE]U.N.C. at Charlotte has seen a 43 percent increase in freshman enrollment from the Northeast.[/QUOTE]

from the same article.

If they won’t let us change the name to University of Charlotte, I say we change all the “UNC Charlotte” exit signs on the interstates to simply say “THE University of North Carolina”.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;183330]If they won’t let us change the name to University of Charlotte, I say we change all the “UNC Charlotte” exit signs on the interstates to simply say “THE University of North Carolina”.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. We should change our athletic name to UNC/North Carolina. That’s an idea. Then, maybe UC will follow.

more evidence:
[URL=http://www.espnshop.com/espn/index.jsp?pageId=espnNCAASearchResults&navId=espn_nb_8124&&firstTime=no&N=2448+2450+2358+2027+4294891033]http://www.espnshop.com/espn/index.jsp?pageId=espnNCAASearchResults&navId=espn_nb_8124&&firstTime=no&N=2448+2450+2358+2027+4294891033[/URL]

more evidence: [URL=http://www.espnshop.com/espn/index.jsp?pageId=espnNCAASearchResults&navId=espn_nb_8124&&firstTime=no&N=2448+2450+2358+2027+4294891033]http://www.espnshop.com/espn/index.jsp?pageId=espnNCAASearchResults&navId=espn_nb_8124&&firstTime=no&N=2448+2450+2358+2027+4294891033[/URL]

:huh:

Just thought of something…
SUNY Buffalo went through a re-identification process a few years back. But, instead of changing their name, they changed their identifier. It is still SUNY Buffalo, but calls itself the University at Buffalo. Their degrees still say The State University of New York at Buffalo. At least, I’m 80% sure that’s how it works.

I wonder how the administration and alumni would react to that. In our case, we would be the University at Charlotte, but degrees would still say The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and that would remain the “official” name. But people would know us as something different.

Just thought of something... SUNY Buffalo went through a re-identification process a few years back. But, instead of changing their name, they changed their identifier. It is still SUNY Buffalo, but calls itself the University at Buffalo. Their degrees still say The State University of New York at Buffalo. At least, I'm 80% sure that's how it works.

I wonder how the administration and alumni would react to that. In our case, we would be the University at Charlotte, but degrees would still say The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and that would remain the “official” name. But people would know us as something different.

I think we would have a problem with ***s like those dudes in Winston Salem or where ever who still call us NC-Charlotte or something. I just think we need to go all out on it and be U of C and end it there. No more of this mess.

I think we would have a problem with ***s like those dudes in Winston Salem or where ever who still call us NC-Charlotte or something. I just think we need to go all out on it and be U of C and end it there. No more of this mess.

My point is this…There are tens of thousands of people who disagree with you. Why not come up with a solution that makes everyone happy?

Why not come up with a solution that makes everyone happy?

because that is impossible

because that is impossible

Let me rephrase that. Why not compromise because that is the only way you are going to get what you want?

clt advises someone to send this to dubois and everyone in the admin.

These prospective students weren’t raised watching Jefferson-Pilot broadcasts of ACC games. This is a good thing.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;187381]These prospective students weren’t raised watching Jefferson-Pilot broadcasts of ACC games. This is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

no. luckily for them they were not brainwashed. but regardless of where they go they will have to suffer through all the shit from the media throughout the state promoting those schools. every decent sized city has 2 or 3 fatass pooles.

the sooner the name change the better. i’m beginning to wonder what dubois’s primary agenda really is. i’m giving him the benefit of the doubt for another year or possibly 2. but then #$%@*&^%$#.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;187391]i’m beginning to wonder what dubois’s primary agenda really is. i’m giving him the benefit of the doubt for another year or possibly 2. but then #$%@*&^%$#.[/QUOTE]

I think currently his main objective is to brand the university and increase awareness within the city of Charlotte. He desperately wants a deep bond between the two. He also wants a study done to support his position that this university should have 40 thousand students.

I haven’t been able to get much out of him regarding football. He never says no though…

nothing wrong with that.

He also wants a study done to support his position that this university should have 40 thousand students.

40,000 without football does not necessarily project a good image. not unless we have an excellent academic reputation.

[quote]
I haven’t been able to get much out of him regarding football. He never says no though…[/QUOTE]

keep trying