More from Utter's interview with Lutz

[QUOTE]P.S. Am I the only one who thinks Gerrity could easily pass for a 35-year-old? [/QUOTE]

Gerrity looks like Oden?

Gerrity looks like Oden?

http://www.theonion.com/content/from_print/greg_oden_on_final_four

[URL=http://www.theonion.com/content/from_print/greg_oden_on_final_four]http://www.theonion.com/content/from_print/greg_oden_on_final_four[/URL]

hahahah… that is so true

Is Gerrity pronounced “Garrity/Gherrity” with a hard “G”, or “Jerrity” with a “J”?

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;229038]Is Gerrity pronounced “Garrity/Gherrity” with a hard “G”, or “Jerrity” with a “J”?[/QUOTE]

Gritty, gutty Gerrity with no J. :biggrin:

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;229038]Is Gerrity pronounced “Garrity/Gherrity” with a hard “G”, or “Jerrity” with a “J”?[/QUOTE]

It’s a hard g, as in ‘‘great ball handling skills’’ :shades:

[QUOTE=switchfoot;228748]Interesting Blog today and probably the first time I have ever heard anyone confront Bobby about shooting too many 3’s. My only issue with his response was I don’t remember us going inside to Curt even when we had him here.[/QUOTE]

No offense Switchfoot, but we went inside plenty. Curt had hands of steel, and was not a good receiver of the basketball. He led the team in turnovers each of his final three seasons here. Not a good stat, especially when you’re a PF. Curt got doubled by almost every team we played, which didn’t help his TO count. Nevertheless, that was the biggest basketball weakness he had, and one of the reasons we didn’t go inside more than what we would have. If he caught the ball like DeMarco did in the post, I believe Withers would have been an All-American, not just honorable mention. I used to have this argument with PI on a couple of different occasions.

PI: Give Withers the ball more.
X: He can’t catch it.
PI: Well give it to him anyways.

Not the exact words of our arguments, but pretty close.

No offense Switchfoot, but we went inside plenty. Curt had hands of steel, and was not a good receiver of the basketball. He led the team in turnovers each of his final three seasons here. Not a good stat, especially when you're a PF. Curt got doubled by almost every team we played, which didn't help his TO count. Nevertheless, that was the biggest basketball weakness he had, and one of the reasons we didn't go inside more than what we would have. If he caught the ball like DeMarco did in the post, I believe Withers would have been an All-American, not just honorable mention. I used to have this argument with PI on a couple of different occasions.

PI: Give Withers the ball more.
X: He can’t catch it.
PI: Well give it to him anyways.

Not the exact words of our arguments, but pretty close.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with this. We did not go inside nearly enough. A great deal of the points that Curt got down low were from his offensive rebounding. He did not have as good of hands as DeMarco, but he did not have anyone close to the passing abilities of Sean Colson passing him the ball either. Most of our perimeter players here during Curt’s tenure were shoot first pass second kind of guys (except for Baldwin, but he seemed liked he was afraid to make any post passes anyway, and spent most of his time just passing the ball around the perimeter). Regardless of what has been said, our offense during Bobby’s era has been to work from the 3 point line then inside. Thus, we have had shooters who were bad post passers, and never really learned how to feed the post during their whole career (with the exception of Basdin who was pretty good all around).

[QUOTE=ice_cold49er;229117]I am sorry, but I have to disagree with this. We did not go inside nearly enough. A great deal of the points that Curt got down low were from his offensive rebounding. He did not have as good of hands as DeMarco, but he did not have anyone close to the passing abilities of Sean Colson passing him the ball either. Most of our perimeter players here during Curt’s tenure were shoot first pass second kind of guys (except for Baldwin, but he seemed liked he was afraid to make any post passes anyway, and spent most of his time just passing the ball around the perimeter). Regardless of what has been said, our offense during Bobby’s era has been to work from the 3 point line then inside. Thus, we have had shooters who were bad post passers, and never really learned how to feed the post during their whole career (with the exception of Basdin who was pretty good all around).[/QUOTE]

It’s not that hard to catch a basketball. If they were bad passes, the turnovers would be credited to the guards instead of to Withers (sometimes there may be errors by the scorekeeper, but notsomuch as to take his TO crown away). I watched 85% of Curt’s games while at Charlotte, and he had trouble his whole career catching the ball without first bobbling it, bounce passes especially. I don’t know if his hands are small or he just never got the feel for catching entry passes, but he did get plenty of opportunities. As I said before, you don’t keep throwing the ball inside when it keeps becoming a turnover. Curt got his points from what he did best: rebounding.

It's not that hard to catch a basketball. If they were bad passes, the turnovers would be credited to the guards instead of to Withers (sometimes there may be errors by the scorekeeper, but notsomuch as to take his TO crown away). I watched 85% of Curt's games while at Charlotte, and he had trouble his whole career catching the ball without first bobbling it, bounce passes especially. I don't know if his hands are small or he just never got the feel for catching entry passes, but he did get plenty of opportunities. As I said before, you don't keep throwing the ball inside when it keeps becoming a turnover. Curt got his points from what he did best: rebounding.

The guards didn’t get the turnovers because they would stand there looking at Curt, and acting like they couldn’t find a good angle to pass the ball in to him (while you could clearly see his whole front, with his hand up calling for the ball), then they would just continue to pass the ball around the perimeter. That is why they didn’t get the turnovers from bad post passes. Also, Mitch had a good assist to turnover ratio but it was misleading because he did not try to pass the ball inside, he didn’t try to penetrate and dish, and he didn’t try to pass the ball over zone defenses. He played ultra conservatively, and thus he did not turn the ball over much, but he did not create opportunities for his teammates either and most of his assist came from passing the ball to perimeter shooters. Lastly, most of Curt turnovers came from him trying to handle the ball too much, and Bobby having him play around the perimeter and create his own offense too much.

The guards didn't get the turnovers because they would stand there looking at Curt, and acting like they couldn't find a good angle to pass the ball in to him (while you could clearly see his whole front, with his hand up calling for the ball), then they would just continue to pass the ball around the perimeter. That is why they didn't get the turnovers from bad post passes. Also, Mitch had a good assist to turnover ratio but it was misleading because he did not try to pass the ball inside, he didn't try to penetrate and dish, and he didn't try to pass the ball over zone defenses. He played ultra conservatively, and thus he did not turn the ball over much, but he did not create opportunities for his teammates either and most of his assist came from passing the ball to perimeter shooters. Lastly, most of Curt turnovers came from him trying to handle the ball too much, and Bobby having him play around the perimeter and create his own offense too much.

Curt had bad hands, but our ineptitude at making a decent entry pass to the post was a big contributor… DumpTruck was the only one on the team last year that seemed to be able to make a decent entry pass to the post…

[QUOTE=ice_cold49er;229139]Lastly, most of Curt turnovers came from him [B]mis[/B]handl[B]ing[/B] the ball too much[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

At least we agree on one thing.

This thing about Curt mishandling the ball brings about an important point about Lutz. I think one of his greatest attributes is also one of his worst. Bobby is loyal to a fault sometimes. For example, I believe he let Curt try to dribble and handle the ball too much at the top of the key to try to give him a chance to showcase his skills. But, Curt did not have enough skill in this area and should not have been given that many opportunities to do this. Also, because he was loyal to Mitch, he probably gave him a little too long to try to come around and be the point guard we needed. It seems many of the seniors are given too many chances, when sometimes they may need to sit, to either learn a lesson or be replaced by someone younger to gain experience.