More trouble in Tenn?

Say it ain’t so Cal!

Hunt accused of hitting woman, Former girlfriend alleges Tiger guard chased her and threw her to the ground
By Gary Parrish, Memphis Commercial Appeal
January 12, 2005

Roughly seven hours after the University of Memphis defeated Southern Miss on Sunday night, junior guard Jeremy Hunt allegedly “pushed, shoved, punched and grabbed” his ex-girlfriend in an incident turned domestic dispute, according to a report filed with Memphis Police.

The episode happened Monday about 4:30 a.m., at the home of the ex-girlfriend, former Lady Tiger basketball player Tamika Rogers.

She told police Hunt arrived at her house in the middle of the night, and the dispute happened when she went outside to speak with him.

According to the report, Hunt was in his vehicle talking on a cell phone before getting out and striking Rogers in the face.

After that, Rogers told police, she ran away, but Hunt “chased her, and threw her to the ground. He then grabbed her by the waist, and threw her down again,” before “the struggle continued inside.”

A witness, Leah Hetzler, told police she heard Rogers calling for help, and that she saw Hunt pinning her down on a bed. By the time police arrived, Hunt was gone, having fled on foot because, according to a source close to the situation, he had accidentally locked his keys in his vehicle, which has since been towed.

On Tuesday, an order of protection was placed against Hunt, 21. Reached by phone in the afternoon, Rogers, 23, declined comment to The Commercial Appeal, but a source close to the situation said she plans to proceed with charges.

Meanwhile, Hunt practiced as normal Tuesday afternoon, but was not made available for comment. Afterward, athletic director R.C. Johnson released a statement.

“It has always been, and will remain, our policy to be proactive in disciplinary matters involving our student-athletes,” the statement read. “We want to be consistent and fair to the student-athlete in our handling of each situation and therefore will withhold making determinations until we have gathered all of the facts.”

After practice Tuesday, Memphis coach John Calipari was non-committal on whether Hunt would be disciplined for the alleged incident, or play Thursday when the Tigers (8-7, 1-0) host 22nd-ranked Marquette (13-1, 1-0) in a Conference USA game at FedExForum.

“I know nothing about this,” he said. “So to ask me what I’m going to do, I don’t know. I don’t know anything about this right now.”

[SIZE=4]OUCH![/SIZE]

In this season of discontent, what you ‘don’t know’ can hurt you
By Geoff Calkins, Memphis Commercial Appeal
January 12, 2005

John Calipari, confronted with a police report alleging Jeremy Hunt beat up his girlfriend early Monday morning, had this response.

“I know nothing about this.”

Glad you’re on top of it, Coach!

But then why was Hunt allowed to practice after reporters broke the news?

Why wasn’t Hunt being asked about these depressing allegations?

What happened, Jeremy?

Did you do it, Jeremy?

Did you really punch her?

Did you really throw her to the ground, then throw her to the ground again?

That’s what former Lady Tiger basketball player Tamika Rogers said in the police report. Hunt could be arrested as early as today.

But Calipari knew nothing. That’s what he said. Hunt worked out as if it was just another day in Tiger basketball land.
Which it was, come to think of it. Another day. Another police report. Another reason to wonder what has become of this program.

Here’s an idea: Ask President Raines to name the best dozen students on campus. Dress them up and send them out to play Marquette on Thursday night.

They won’t have any chance of winning, of course. But fans won’t have to choose between clapping and holding their noses.

They won’t have to worry about the kids punching each other, or punching their girlfriends, or dating strippers who then go and have their fake furs stolen .

That’s how the season started, remember? With the great fur robbery.

But the furs weren’t real, see. They were fakes belonging to a stripper.

And that was the good news!

We should have known, right there, this was going to be a weird one.

But who would have imagined Arthur Barclay slugging Sean Banks?

Or the two players having to fly home separately?

Or Banks having his best game with the help of a shiner?

And who would have imagined Jeremy Hunt – who has always seemed like one of the nicer guys on the team – becoming the subject of an order of protection Tuesday?

That happened, too. But Calipari knows nothing.

Some will say the university can’t take any action until all the facts are in. That’s nonsense, of course.

Hunt is innocent until proven guilty according to the criminal justice system. Nobody would send him off to jail on the strength of unproven allegations.

But the school can certainly hold him out of practice. It can hold him out of games. Playing basketball is a privilege that – in the face of allegations as serious as these – can and should be suspended.

When Banks first came to Memphis, a columnist in New Jersey wrote that it was the worst thing for him, because of “Calipari’s refusal to ever make a stand to benefit the lives of his players.”

It seemed like a cheap shot at the time. In his previous four seasons at Memphis, Calipari’s players have gone to class, improved their grades and largely stayed out of trouble.

But now, you wonder. Wonder if he’s being too easy on Banks. Wonder why he’s the only one who doesn’t know Hunt is alleged to have beaten up his girlfriend.

It’s no great mystery, after all.

Like much of this season, it’s right there in the police report.

Wow.

This is such a shame.

Coach Cal seems like one of the real good guys in college sports.

[font=Optima][SIZE=4]NOT!![/font][/SIZE]

FINE! I’ll say it one more time but it is getting awfully repetitive…

[SIZE=4][font=Times]“Oh how life must absolutely suck when you are a Memphis fan.”[/font][/SIZE]

MemphisTigers.org should be pretty entertaining today.

Oh, and uh, read the signature.

From the Tiger board:

If Hunt walks onto the court tomorrow night, I’m walking out. Sure, it will just be 2 people, but I will not support a Cincy-like team.
-fsquid

I think I have a newfound respect for His Squidness. If something like this happened here, I know that player would at least be suspended for a game or two (see: Demon, Withers, Stephens).

I bet that chick wouldn’t return Jeremy’s fur coat to him!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Very ouch. :huh:

Maybe the whole memphis team ought to come out to their next game dressed like coach…IN STRIPES!

[b]"I don't know if there will be any change in status." - Memphis coach John Calipari.[/b]
[b]Some 60 hours after the alleged incident, Rogers had one eye that was still black-and blue, another that was swollen, a scrape on her nose, a large bruise on her neck and another on her arm.[/b]
[b]Tigers in turmoil, Player's arrest latest chapter in tumultuous season for U of M men's basketball Assault charges levied against Hunt, playing status vs. Marquette up in the air[/b] By Gary Parrish, Memphis Commercial Appeal January 13, 2005

University of Memphis basketball player Jeremy Hunt surrendered to authorities Wednesday afternoon, just hours after being charged with misdemeanor assault because of a recent incident during which he allegedly “pushed, shoved, punched and grabbed” his ex-girlfriend.

Hunt was booked and released on his own recognizance. He will be arraigned this morning. His status for tonight’s 8 p.m. game at FedExForum between the Tigers (8-7, 1-0) and 22nd-ranked Marquette (13-1, 1-0) remains unclear.

“I don’t know if there will be any change in status,” said Memphis coach John Calipari.

Asked if that meant Hunt could dress and play, Calipari responded, “Sure.”

After that, he refused to address the issue, and closed the Tigers’ night practice to the media, which has only been done a handful of times in Calipari’s five-year tenure.

Hunt’s legal troubles stem from an incident early Monday morning in which he, according to the warrant issued for his arrest, “became upset at the victim while he was under the influence of alcohol, … got out of his car and struck the victim in the face with a closed fist, and threw her to the ground.”

The victim, Tamika Rogers, also told police that Hunt “chased (her) as she tried to run away, and threw her to the ground on two more occasions” before “striking her in the face approximately six times with an open and closed hand.”

Then, according to the warrant, Hunt “kicked (Rogers) on both of her sides as he stood over her.” When she got up and ran, he “chased her into her residence and threw her cell phone across the room to prevent her from calling the police” before he “pinned her to the bed.”

At that point, the warrant states Rogers’s roommate, Leah Hetzler, told Hunt she was calling police. Instead, a neighbor who heard Rogers screaming through the walls of the house made the 911 call.

When the police arrived, Hunt was gone, having fled on foot because, according to sources close to the situation, he had accidentally locked his keys in his vehicle, which has since been towed.

Reached Wednesday afternoon at her home, Rogers declined comment about the situation to The Commercial Appeal after spending most of the day finalizing paperwork with police. But in a short conversation in her front yard, the former Lady Tiger basketball player was noticeably beaten.

Some 60 hours after the alleged incident, Rogers had one eye that was still black-and blue, another that was swollen, a scrape on her nose, a large bruise on her neck and another on her arm.

This headline from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel about tonight’s MU-UofM game is too ironic…

Memphis down, but MU remembers beating

If Calipari lets him play tonight, it would be adding a figurative slap to that poor woman’s already bruised face. There should be no question as to his status for tonight. If he plays, it would be proof positive that Calipari is out of control and will do anything to win, placing the desire to win above the best interests of the team, the school, and the game.

We sat Demon for a critical game against Loserville over an alleged incident where nobody was hurt.

Calipari needs to do the right thing and sit his ass down or better yet, let him go. He’s got a bright future as a pimp with the furs, the connections with the strippers, and seems to have the biotch slapping down pat, although they towed his wouldbe pimpmobile when he locked his keys in it.

Hilarious…“bright future as a pimp”…what’s his “pimp rpi?” Is he moving up the “pimp hot 100”?

[b]"[b]The University is continuing to look into the matter involving junior guard Jeremy Hunt. While they are gathering more information about this incident, Hunt will not be in uniform for the Tigers[/b]."[/b]
[b]Tiger Jeremy Hunt arraigned on domestic assault[/b] By Gary Parrish, Memphis Commercial Appeal January 13, 2005

University of Memphis basketball player Jeremy Hunt was arraigned this morning on a domestic assault charge stemming from a recent incident during which he allegedly “pushed, shoved, punched and grabbed” his ex-girlfriend.

Hunt appeared before Judge Ann Pugh in Division 7 of General Sessions court, and had his case continued to Jan. 31. He was instructed to refrain from contact with Tamika Rogers, the alleged victim who has told Memphis Police she was attacked by Hunt in the early hours Monday morning.

The University of Memphis subsequently sent a release that said, “The University is continuing to look into the matter involving junior guard Jeremy Hunt. While they are gathering more information about this incident, Hunt will not be in uniform for the Tigers.”

The Tigers play 22nd-ranked Marquette at FedExForum tonight at 8 on ESPN2.

“I’m going to be OK,” Hunt told The Commercial Appeal as he left the Criminal Justice Center. “Everybody’s just heard one side of the story.”

Pressed for the other side, Hunt said he’s been instructed not to discuss it by his attorney, Leslie Ballin.

Rogers, a former Lady Tiger basketball player, has declined public comment on the matter. But on Wednesday she met with The Commercial Appeal, and was visibly battered.