Moss2k starts the WKU pregame chat page

It was fun to see the team win convincingly at home, for homecoming, against a CUSA team. Shirreffs looked good. Uniforms were :fire::fire::fire:

I know the fanbase is looking forward to having a new coach next season - myself included - but it feels good to be able to enjoy a win like this.

2 Likes

Figures. The one time I get a free movie and take that over football, we win. Fucking damnit.

Two things that stick out to me from this game from Lambert. Underdogs on our home field and we have a fortunate INT and subsequent TD and he goes for 2. Then with 11 sec to go he puts the kicking unit on 2nd down. Two amateur calls. Luckily a TO by WKU saved a littl face but we still missed the kick. Overall, good showing and solid defensive stand. Hate he had the injury but also the helmets looked nice.

Who kidnapped Lambert at halftime???

clt says the team we saw in the second half would be undefeated.

1 Like

Donā€™t fault him for sending in FG unit with 11 seconds and no timeouts. You get sacked or make a mistake you get 0 pts. Plus if the snap is bad on the fg you have a chance to spike it and try again. As for the 2pt conversation, I want more aggression from him but that was not the time. Just like the 4th down play late against ODU while in fg range.

I really thought Lambert made some bad calls in the first half. I think going for 2 and not converting took some momentum away from us. The timeouts late in the half had huge potential for blowing up in his face. Most times you use timeouts when your opponent is on their side of the field and just had a negative or no gain play. You donā€™t call them after the opponent has driven the ball 40 to 50 yards into your territory with 90 seconds left.

I am happy for the players that they got the W. Hate it for Reynolds if what was said about his injury is true.

The going for 2 and clock management to end the half weā€™re boneheaded. The latter being a common occurrence.

If your QB canā€™t throw it out the back of the end zone with 11 seconds left then we donā€™t deserve 3 points. Which we didnā€™t get anyway.

We won in a convincing manner

We[quote=ā€œninerID, post:88, topic:33181ā€]
boneheaded
[/quote]

I am super bummed about chrisā€™ injury. With that said:

Shirrefs was MUCH better yesterday.

1 Like

With the possible exception of USM in 2016 that was the best performance in the history of our football program.

2 Likes

Love the win, but we beat a one win team. Itā€™s hard to believe that there are teams out there worse than ours, but WKU may be one.

Good observation. It was 9-7 at the half regarding my point.

WKU nearly beat UofL so there are lots of teams worse than us as bad as that sounds

This WKU team had Louisville in their cross hairs on the road, but couldnā€™t quite hold on. Marshall struggled to beat them 20-17. And if you throw out the garbage time TD they scored on what was mostly our backups playing conservatively, we beat these guys as bad as Wisconsin did (34-3). So yeah, itā€™s tough to measure a team with so many losses, but there are markers.

Iā€™ll be honest, I was watching so many other things that I didnā€™t pick up on what adjustments we made to thwart their short to intermediate passing game in the 2nd half, but we did. In the first half, they were moving the ball at will against us with it (prompting me to shoutbox about our DB coverage abilities). Foggie gets a couple of picks, we get a couple of QB pressures, and suddenly they are trying to run the ball on us, which is stupid because thatā€™s not their game and it is one thing we tend to shut down. I saw us blitz a few times and it threw them off but we did not do it every down, so I feel like I missed some tactical shift.

Besides obvious props to pretty much the whole team, but specifically guys like Foggie (he just keeps getting better) and Cruz (his kickoffs are almost as important as his FGs - kidā€™s a weapon), can I also echo the sentiment about Reynolds (bummer) and Shireffs? Evan has a pocket presence like most schools take for granted but we havenā€™t had yet in our short history. Iā€™m not ready to annoint him after one game, but, like in basketball, you cannot teach his size, which translates to good down field vision (which the defense has to honor), and he has good arm strength. His incompletes seemed like one overthrow and a smart chuck it out of bounds. His touch and placement seemed decent too. Looking forward to seeing him take snaps with first team and develop chemistry with our wideouts. No offense to Reynolds, but Shireffs should be our starter, regardless of injury. The offense worked better with him in there.

Last, props to our OC, who I am pretty sure called the audible on Rico Arnoldā€™s TD when he saw WKU setting up single coverage. That shouldnā€™t be such a big deal, but letā€™s be honest, that kind of coaching hasnā€™t gone on here.

1 Like

I didnā€™t like the going for two, unless itā€™s a strategy we are going to utilize the whole game. Trying to trick them isnā€™t great.

I didnā€™t like the timeouts when the had the ball even though a timely penalty helped.

Also, if you are going to put Cruz in, leave him in. He missed off the upright on the timeout and then thought about for a play before trying again missing left. Lambert iced his own kicker.

I also hated Klugh coming in to pick up the first down. If we are going to do that,have him handoff or even throw on occasion to keep the other team off balance. They had 10 guys in the box. I donā€™t blame Klugh for the fumble (and applaud his effort, he got the first down) but Lambert putting in a cold player to do that isnā€™t great.

Other than the lack of pressure on their QB in the first half and the weak zone we played (their qbā€™s still completed 70+% of their passes), I though we played a fine game.

The math says going for 2 is the more advantageous play. I didnā€™t mind it at all, I think that was more of a Reynolds call than Lambert. He had the kicker out there and could have pulled everyone back in and kicked it if he thought he didnā€™t have a look on defense he could get 2 on.

The one thing to note is that when Shireffs came into the game, their Defense had been on the field a long time and was gassed. He did not have an impact on the running game and that is what took off in the 3rd quarter. The passing game works much better when the running game is going. That said he did look just fine out there and we should be glad to have him as a backup.

Reynolds clearly won the job. I donā€™t think thatā€™s an accidentā€¦ I like Sheriffs and I do think heā€™s legitimately good. That being said they didnā€™t scout him and were down for the count by the time he came in. This game is no reason to say he should start for the rest of the season unless heā€™s the only option. The O line is the problem with our QBs currently. Not the options Sheriffs/Reynolds.

Sheriff looked great and if he starts the rest of the way Iā€™m fine with it, but we have to realize WKUā€™s D was worn down from Reynolds and the Offense controlling the ball early. Our running game was ready to take off against WKUā€™s worn down D as soon as Sheriff took his first snap. Personally I could see a strong case for either starting.