Most Memorable Experiences inside Halton Arena

for basketball, this is. Sure graduation might of been memorable, but that can be discussed somewhere else.

A couple that stand out very vividly to me (in no particular order)

1. The S. Carolina game during Rodney’s year, when Coach Fogler got run. Fans were pretty vocal that night.
  2. Last week’s Cincinnati game.
  3. The Marquette game a couple of years back when Bobby got into with the ref who didn’t know his name. I noticed when he came out of the locker room that night, Lutz seemed a little bit more fired up than usual.
  4. Last season’s Louisville game. 1st time I ever witnessed 49er fans storm the court.

What else is out there that I didn’t see? I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself but I have a hunch that Eddie Basden Senior Day could be added to this list.

I enjoyed the “exchange of plesantries” between Lutz and Tulane’s Shawn Finney last season. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jobey’s senior day was very special.

Heckling Mike Davis, he was the best sport I’ve ever seen.

Ebad shutting down DeJuan Wagner.

Demon nearly killing a player for Miami when he grabbed a rebound and knocked the guy out with his shoulder.

Shaking Mohammed’s hand after the UL game last year.

James White vs Armein Kirkland.

All the UC beatings: the inadvertant whistle, last week, so many memories.

Last year’s UofL beating: Mitchell coast to coast.

Probably my favorite was Nov. 1996, the inaugural game @ Halton vs. App State. I was used to being ten rows from the court at the Big I or Coliseum. And that was afterpurchasing tickets 10 minutes before tip-off. When ASU came to town I was 5 rows from the top and the place was going wild before the game. I was so happy to see a near capacity crowd that was actually loud. I literally had to hold back the tears. (Ha ha, p****.) That arena is still the best thing to ever happen to this program.

Now lets make our only good memory at the Savvis Center.

1. Cincy, 1997 Dickie V comes to Halton, DeMarco dunks all over Brannen, and Sean laster punches Brannen in the face.

2. Cincy, 2000 Cats had a chance to be #1 in the nation, until they ran into a fired up Niner squad.

3. Louisville, 2004 Mitch saves the day.

4. Cincy, 2001 JZ nails a 3, and then swats away Steve Logan in the final seconds to give the Niners a win.

5. South Carolina, 2000 SEVENTEEN 3-pointers later, Eddie Fogler had seen too much and hit the showers.

6. East Carolina, 2004 Never has there been so much electricity in the building when you combine the game with Panthers/Rams OT and Clay Aiken.

7. App State, 1996. The beginning of an era. I had Section 104, Row A, Seat 1!

[i]Originally posted by Smoothieking[/i]@Feb 11 2005, 03:52 PM [b] 7. App State, 1996. The beginning of an era. I had Section 104, Row A, Seat 1! [/b]
The start of it all...

Charles Hayward setting the freshman record for blocks against GW.
Hell, the first and any moment Charles meant everything to me. Too much maybe. Probably never enough.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Feb 11 2005, 03:41 PM [b] "exchange of plesantries" [/b]
Wonder if those two exchanged Christmas cards this year?

The ASU inaugural game, I did shed a tear or two, having been around since the Final Four season and wishing for a building half as nice.

All Cincinnati game but especially the 2000 game when they could’ve been #1.

The South Carolina game was a special one for me too, as I’d suffered a heart attack 3 days after Midnight Madness and it was the first game I was cleared by the doctor to attend.

Brandon Bender sitting on the Louisville bench staring down Pitino, it was Bender’s final game as a Cardinal.

Wardle from Marquette being held scoreless in Halton after burning the 49ers for 31 points earlier in Milwaukee.

Brandon Bender got rim rocked by Jermaine Williams (who knew that guy could dunk at that point?). He promptly left the team the next day. Never seen someone abused like that until Eddie did it to the Houston guy last game. Check the waiver wires :stuck_out_tongue:

Diego Guevara talking trash to Kenyon Martin just before he missed his free throw to seal our victory. Anytime Cincinatti comes and acts shell-shocked because of the crowd noise.

1. beating undefeated Cincy in 99

2. whooping Miami in my very first game 49ers game in 98

3. JZ shutting out Wardle after someone from Marquette called the school and asked to stop the game when he scored his 1,000 point (or broke some school record) and the not so friendly exchange that occurred between Crean and Lutz after the game

4. 17 3’s and an early exit from Eddie Fogler

5. vs. Memphis (Dajuan Wagner’s only year) Memphis team stomps on the C at half court, Charlotte players go after them, some pushing, then we are up 20 in like 5 minutes…then screaming matches and taunting occur between Wagner’s entourage and Charlotte fans.

Interesting stuff.

I wish I got to see more of JZ in person. Also, it would’ve been fun to be at Game #1. Wonder if anyone has it on tape?

Maybe I’m the only history buff on here, but I’d pay for a Halton Arena highlights video.

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante[/i]@Feb 11 2005, 08:07 PM [b] Interesting stuff.

I wish I got to see more of JZ in person. Also, it would’ve been fun to be at Game #1. Wonder if anyone has it on tape?

Maybe I’m the only history buff on here, but I’d pay for a Halton Arena highlights video. [/b]

Silvio, I agree with you on the highlight video idea. I’ve suggested it many times. A great way to raise money. They show a highlight video every year at the end of season banquet. Seems so easy to make it available to the athletic Foundation members. Sell it as a set.

My first storm the court was when we beat Louisville in Independence arena in 93 I think it was…when they were ranked #4. I jumped over several rows and the media table and shook Jeff Mullins’ hand as he was leaving the court. Yeah, those were the days.

The privelege of watching Diego, Jobey, DeMarco, Cam, JZ, Eddie, Plavich, Galen, Kelvin, Heyward, Jermaine, Colson, Rodney, et all play basketball.

Getting there early to get a new bobblehead like a kid at Christmas time.

Seeing Dickie V in our house.

Seeing Huggs stalking the sidelines - the man everyone loves to hate but hates to see part ways.

Hearing the shrill voice of Lutz screaming above the crowd noise.

Hearing Jags call the game - ok technically that was for away games but we still miss the homer.

Seeing Eddie lay down the best monster dunk in Halton history against Houston.

And my all-time favorite Halton memory…

Watching Norm & the Davidson Wildcat mascot get into a fist fight that spilled into the front row of seats & had to be broken up by security. Something I will never forget. :smiley:

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Feb 11 2005, 08:48 PM [b] My first storm the court was when we beat Louisville in Independence arena in 93 I think it was...when they were ranked #4. I jumped over several rows and the media table and shook Jeff Mullins' hand as he was leaving the court. Yeah, those were the days. [/b]
That was a pheonomal game. I have that entire game on VHS here and I managed to get in front of the camera when we rushed the court...pretty funny stuff. I haven't watched it in ages so I may view it soon since I've come to know so many people on here. Might be able to see a few familiar faces. :P

My most memorable in Halton though was when I was a student, sitting behind our bench for the big Cincy brawl. I nearly had my head taken off by a basketball…lol I remember attending the first game there against App. State but I don’t recall any details. :drink:

To be honest, ALL the Cincy games are most memorable ones. They always brought out the best in our team and fans so it’s tough to forget those or rank any ahead of them.

Bumping, so that we can easily add to it after a couple seasons of Mark Price basketball.

i am expecting some dude to respond to this with “A BJ” at any minute! :stuck_out_tongue: :o :-X

Mitchell Baldwin starting in place of a suspended Demon Brown and then going coast to coast to score the winning basket. At that point I honestly thought the sky was the limit for us.

[quote=“Smoothieking, post:5, topic:6426”]1. Cincy, 1997 Dickie V comes to Halton, DeMarco dunks all over Brannen, and Sean laster punches Brannen in the face.

2. Cincy, 2000 Cats had a chance to be #1 in the nation, until they ran into a fired up Niner squad.

1. Louisville, 2004 Mitch saves the day.

2. Cincy, 2001 JZ nails a 3, and then swats away Steve Logan in the final seconds to give the Niners a win.

3. South Carolina, 2000 SEVENTEEN 3-pointers later, Eddie Fogler had seen too much and hit the showers.

4. East Carolina, 2004 Never has there been so much electricity in the building when you combine the game with Panthers/Rams OT and Clay Aiken.

5. App State, 1996. The beginning of an era. I had Section 104, Row A, Seat 1![/quote]

These. My #1 in bold.

[quote=“jcl49er, post:15, topic:6426”]

Originally posted by LeftyNiner@Feb 11 2005, 08:48 PM
My first storm the court was when we beat Louisville in Independence arena in 93 I think it was…when they were ranked #4. I jumped over several rows and the media table and shook Jeff Mullins’ hand as he was leaving the court. Yeah, those were the days.

That was a pheonomal game. I have that entire game on VHS here and I managed to get in front of the camera when we rushed the court…pretty funny stuff. I haven’t watched it in ages so I may view it soon since I’ve come to know so many people on here. Might be able to see a few familiar faces. :stuck_out_tongue:

My most memorable in Halton though was when I was a student, sitting behind our bench for the big Cincy brawl. I nearly had my head taken off by a basketball…lol I remember attending the first game there against App. State but I don’t recall any details. :drink:

To be honest, ALL the Cincy games are most memorable ones. They always brought out the best in our team and fans so it’s tough to forget those or rank any ahead of them.[/quote]

I jumped a chair and missed and landed with my left leg between the hockey boards. An older alum caught my weight or I would have snapped my thigh bone frontwards. I never got his name as he told me to “join the rest of the nation”.