Moving on and going in a different direction

So, back to my other thread... can we call for Judy's head now?

haha

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;215657]So, back to my other threadā€¦ can we call for Judyā€™s head now?[/QUOTE]

I think Phil is giving Judy the rope to hang herself and eventually wants to upgrade that part of his cabinet. It still amazes me how bad she is allowed to perform because of her gender. Had a man put our athletic program in the shape its in today, he would of been run off campus long ago. Female executives on college campuses are the holy grail of all that is ā€œprogressiveā€ in academia, and her gender completely insulates her. We just need to all keep our fingers crossed that she is near retirement, but her ego is off the charts and she may want to stick around until she is 65.

Regardless of how you spin it, moving to the A10 has hurt recruiting and contributed to our program heading into a tailspinā€¦no doubt about it. But itā€™s also true that Bobby Lutzā€™s inability to adapt to his new surroundings has contributed as well.

Bobby Lutz is an above average coach, who was pretty good when he had the CUSA to use as a crutch. Playing big time opponents and having a nice TV schedule makes it much easier to attract the high-major recruits left over by the ACC. But on his ownā€¦heā€™s out of his element. I love Bobby, but heā€™s not the sort of guy whoā€™s dynamic enough to attract those type of recruits on his own and heā€™s also not innovative enough to adapt to his new surroundings in the A10 in order to be successful. (sorry for the run on)

We need a dynamic young coach who can attract young talent and make them excited about being a part of building something special. We need a hungry young coach who can make the most of what talent he has. He needs to be innovative, resourceful and flexible enough to adjust his game strategy based on this available talent every season. Much in the same way that Greg Marshall does at Winthrop or Bob McKillop at Davidson.

Sure, we may lose a coach like that to better offers after 4 or 5 years, but hopefully, weā€™ll be lucky enough to land a couple of them before we eventually land a football program and solidify our future in a bigger conference. (Okay, Iā€™ll put down my visionary crack pipe now)

It appears to me that Bobby is burned out and unable to get it done anymore. I wish Judy would either pull the plug on Bobby or that he would simply move on to other opportunities. I know a lot of people say that Bobbyā€™s the best we can do, but Iā€™ll take my chances on somebody new and different.

[QUOTE=NinerPride;215536]You are talking about this year while ā€œweā€ are talking about Lutzā€™s tenure. It is just losing. Unfortunately that is also the problem, next year. Because our problems this year were are problems last yr, and the year before that, and so on. And they are going to be our problems next year and so on until we get another coach. [/QUOTE]

Lutzā€™s tenure? You are the same morons claiming the conference tournamant was the Lutz invitational a few years ago. 2 years ago we had the best (maybe second best) team weā€™ve had since 1977. so you think Lutz suddenly forgot how to coach? Itā€™s all about recruiting and weā€™ve suffered some major loses in that area the last couple years. Some of that goes on Bobby and some of it goes to personnel changes (assistant coaches leaving the nest) and the fact that we are in a shitty recruting area. would love to hear your solution rather than badmouthing Lutz and the programā€¦oh thatā€™s right the solution is to just fire Lutz. itā€™s so easy being a critic on this boardā€¦takes no brains whatsoeverā€¦

[QUOTE=max;215714]Much in the same way that Greg Marshall does at Winthrop or Bob McKillop at Davidson. [/QUOTE]

Bob McKillop young and hungry?? Weā€™ve beaten them 18 of last 20 years! They recruit a completely different animal. I do agree with Greg Marshalllā€¦he would be a good fit.

[QUOTE=EJNiner;215721]Bob McKillop young and hungry?? Weā€™ve beaten them 18 of last 20 years! They recruit a completely different animal. I do agree with Greg Marshalllā€¦he would be a good fit.[/QUOTE]

When Bob arrived, he was young and hungry. Yes they (Davidson) do recruit a different animal and so do we now. Marshall was just one example of many, many others. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=WBNiner;215635]I think we need to make a distinction here. Based on the poor conference we are in, the poor competition and our poor play it is within reason for anyone to let their passion die. Does that mean they donā€™t care about the team? I will ALWAYS follow Niner athletics and I will ALWAYS want to see us do well. I will ALWAYS attend a few games a year. With that said the current state and direction of the AD can and will impact my willingness to give money to the program. Just because we are doing poor will not cause me to throw away all my Niner gear or to wish failure to the teams or the coaches. However, to forever look at the program and the leadership thru green colored glasses is a disservice. College athletics is not always about winning and losing, but the desire to win should always be there. If we as alumni or the administration or the students start to accept that just playing is good enough, then we have a huge problem. I donā€™t go to a Niner game just to watch the game. I go to see us win.[/QUOTE]

I expect us to win too, but Iā€™m not bailing after one subpar season and a total of 2 in Lutzā€™s tenure. We finished 1 or 2 in C-USA/A-10 over the last 3 years, we have some young talent coming in. And based on comments from several people here, they would like to see the current administration/coaching staff fail, which means they actually take pleasure in all of this.

Whether itā€™s right or wrong, one thing is for sure:

*The only thing that is going to force the administration to make changes to our athletic programs (basketball in particular) is lack of attendance and lack of revenue.

I donā€™t like to even think about it like that, but itā€™s true. If a team sucks and everyone still shows up and the athletics dept. still makes as much revenue, whereā€™s the motivation for change.

Attendance has been dropping steadily and we havenā€™t seen the low point yet. I seriously donā€™t think even OUR administration will take this too much longer. Something has to giveā€¦ whether itā€™s football, coaching, whatever.