My A10 Predictions

Um, this thread is a prime example of why not to drink and post. Wild weekend UMass? I can live with low expectations for us, that is when we do the best. But Duquesne at #1?!?!?!?!?!?!

BTW Zero, I like the Avatar. :thumbsup:

At this time, we're a lock for one of the top 14 spots.

QFT!

Except for UMass13ā€™s prediction of the Dukes atop the A-10, the rest of his picks are plausible (and I see that both he and I predict the Niners to finish 11th).

I think the frontrunners for the A-10 championship will be Xavier, Rhode Island, and Dayton. Close behind will be a group including St. Joeā€™s, Fordham, and Saint Louis. If Everhart can get his team to gel with the inclusion of James, Mensah, and Baldonado ā€“ all probable starters from day 1 ā€“ then Duquesne will definitely make some noise this season. Just donā€™t see all the way to number one in 07-08, though.

The Niners are going to be in a group that includes UMass, GW, Temple, and possibly La Salle, that will be jockeying for an ā€œupper halfā€ finish in the lower division. Hey, just as long as we finish in the top 12, weā€™re okay. Failure to make the A-10 tourney would definitely cost Lutz his job.

[QUOTE=run49er;254514] Hey, just as long as we finish in the top 12, weā€™re okay. Failure to make the A-10 tourney would definitely cost Lutz his job.[/QUOTE]

I wish you were my boss :thumbsup:

setting that bar high huh? :pout:

[QUOTE=metro;254516]I wish you were my boss :thumbsup:

setting that bar high huh? :pout:[/QUOTE]
I donā€™t think he is marking the bar. Just marking territory under the bar. We donā€™t know the qualifications for a contract extension, but we can pick out certain lines drawn in the sand. I would agree that no trip to AC=no contract extension.

[QUOTE=metro;254516]I wish you were my boss :thumbsup:

setting that bar high huh? :pout:[/QUOTE]

Metro, in all seriousness, Iā€™m picking us 11th at the same time I think we will be a BETTER team than last season. The only problem is everyone else is going to be better with the possible exceptions of GW and UMass, though I donā€™t expect those two to fall too far (in other words, not to the ā€œcellarā€). Itā€™s going to be an interesting season, to say the least.

Just my innocent lil picks, though I know that there is no doubt that there will be crazy fluctuations as these teams are very close. I think the 2-11 could all challenge for second or even challenge Xavier for first. Richmond and LaSalle will upset some people (I hope not us) and I think that St Louis will not do as well as everyone seems to think just because the round mound of coaching sound is there. St Joeā€™s is well coached and could easily jump ahead of Dayton or Rhody. Umass is too, but they are not as talented this year. Temple is scary, they could be 10, or they could be 5 if they can finally start rebounding and playing defense better. Duquense is a weird pick too, run49er was right when he said that we donā€™t know how they will play together, but also remember we donā€™t know how Everhart will coach them. Last year they were a bunch of guys who shouldnā€™t be there working their collective butts off for an opportunity to compete at the highest level (and the A-10 too). This year they could have chemistry issues. I put GW at 10 probably more because I hate them, but it will be interesting to see if Hobbs can pull something out this year again. Fordham is a funny team, they looked good at times and then bad (the 4 game conference losing streak that included us beating them). They are another team that could make the jump. Then of course that southern tier team Charlotte. This team has a coach to play for. If they really want him to be there when they graduate, or heck NEXT year, then they need to win now. We could be 5, we could be 11, hell with luck and the talent we have (plus chemistry and SHOOTING PERCENTAGE) we could shock the world, it wouldnā€™t shock me though. The talent is there to put together a decent season and that could be 5th and a 10-6 conference record, but only16-13 overall.

1. Xavier
  2. Dayton
  3. Rhode Island
  4. St. Joes
  5. Charlotte
  6. Fordham
  7. Umass
  8. Duquense
  9. Temple
  10. GW
  11. St Louis
  12. Richmond
  13. LaSalle
    14 Bona
  1. Xavier
  2. Dayton
  3. Rhode Island
  4. St. Joes
  5. Charlotte
  6. Duquense
  7. Umass
  8. St Loius
  9. Temple
  10. GW
  11. Fordham
  12. Richmond
  13. LaSalle
    14 Bona

:wink:

If we finish 5th, then Bobby deserves A-10 COY! If I can find my ā€œforest green-coloredā€ glasses, then perhaps Iā€™ll re-think my 11th place prediction! :tongue:

1. Xavier
  2. Sea Turtles
  3. Rhode Island
  4. St. Joes
  5. Dayton
  6. Duquense
  7. Umass
  8. St Loius
  9. Temple
  10. GW
  11. Fordham
  12. Richmond
  13. LaSalle
    14 Bona

Just curious about those who think we will finish in the top 5 of the A-10. What do you base that on? The reason I ask is because Xavier, Rhode Island, Dayton, Fordham, St. Joeā€™s, and Saint Louis are loaded and Duquesne, which really overachieved last season, is adding a projected NBA top-20 pick in Shawn James, as well as Kojo Mensah and Stuard Baldonado. Even Temple returns the top 2 scorers in the A-10 and may have as good an incoming class as Dayton, the latter of which was considered tops in the conference (well, maybe not by PoopScoop! :rolleyes: ).

charlottes going to finish #1 this year.

why you ask?

Because the last couple of years we were projected to do so and didnt, so now that we arent projected to break the top 8 or maybe even the top 10 - weā€™r going to take it all

my logic may be flawed, but i like it

Just curious about those who think we will finish in the top 5 of the A-10. What do you base that on? The reason I ask is because Xavier, Rhode Island, Dayton, Fordham, St. Joe's, and Saint Louis are loaded and Duquesne, which really overachieved last season, is adding a projected NBA top-20 pick in Shawn James, as well as Kojo Mensah and Stuard Baldonado. Even Temple returns the top 2 scorers in the A-10 and may have as good an incoming class as Dayton, the latter of which was considered tops in the conference (well, maybe not by PoopScoop! :rolleyes: ).

I want to hear this too.

[QUOTE=zerogeneticsdc1;254629]charlottes going to finish #1 this year.

why you ask?

Because the last couple of years we were projected to do so and didnt, so now that we arent projected to break the top 8 or maybe even the top 10 - weā€™r going to take it all[/QUOTE]
OK, when were we projected to win because Iā€™m not finding it?

November 3, 2005: GW Is The Pick To Win A-10 Menā€™s Basketball

October 24, 2006: Xavier Is The Pick To Win A-10 Menā€™s Basketball Crown

OK, when were we projected to win because I'm not finding it?

October 24, 2006: Xavier Is The Pick To Win A-10 Menā€™s Basketball Crown

that was based on assumption due to the constant ā€œI thought they said we would own this leagueā€ talk i have heard since i can remember - truthfully i never checked how we were suposed to fair in the a10 because i honestly never really care too much about preseason projections. we saw where the panthers went after the last two sets of those.

[QUOTE=run49er;254637]OK, when were we projected to win because Iā€™m not finding it?

October 24, 2006: Xavier Is The Pick To Win A-10 Menā€™s Basketball Crown[/QUOTE]

David Booker was ā€œprojectedā€ to make the all conference freshman team! Ha Ha, should tell you how great projections are.

Well, theyā€™ve done a pretty job on picking the winners, as GW did finish atop the A-10 in 2006 and Xavier (tied with UMass) in 2007.

Picking all-frosh seems sorta silly to me. Look at last season - Robert Mitchell wasnā€™t even on their list and he was the A-10 ROY! Heck, three of the players on last seasonā€™s All-Rookie list have left the league - Booker (to Tulane), Carter (to Delaware ā€“ did make end-of-season All-Rookie, so they got that one right!), and Mayben (to ???).

[QUOTE=shagg49er;254533]Just my innocent lil picks, though I know that there is no doubt that there will be crazy fluctuations as these teams are very close. I think the 2-11 could all challenge for second or even challenge Xavier for first. Richmond and LaSalle will upset some people (I hope not us) and I think that St Louis will not do as well as everyone seems to think just because the round mound of coaching sound is there. St Joeā€™s is well coached and could easily jump ahead of Dayton or Rhody. Umass is too, but they are not as talented this year. Temple is scary, they could be 10, or they could be 5 if they can finally start rebounding and playing defense better. Duquense is a weird pick too, run49er was right when he said that we donā€™t know how they will play together, but also remember we donā€™t know how Everhart will coach them. Last year they were a bunch of guys who shouldnā€™t be there working their collective butts off for an opportunity to compete at the highest level (and the A-10 too). This year they could have chemistry issues. I put GW at 10 probably more because I hate them, but it will be interesting to see if Hobbs can pull something out this year again. Fordham is a funny team, they looked good at times and then bad (the 4 game conference losing streak that included us beating them). They are another team that could make the jump. Then of course that southern tier team Charlotte. This team has a coach to play for. If they really want him to be there when they graduate, or heck NEXT year, then they need to win now. We could be 5, we could be 11, hell with luck and the talent we have (plus chemistry and SHOOTING PERCENTAGE) we could shock the world, it wouldnā€™t shock me though. The talent is there to put together a decent season and that could be 5th and a 10-6 conference record, but only16-13 overall. [/QUOTE]

Wow. That was a terrific rundown!

I really like how this team was assembled and I like the variations of strengths of all the teammates. Weā€™ve got fast guards, tall guards, guys w/long arms, high flyers, post options, athletic fowards, etc. etc. Once everyone starts working together and starts to use each otherā€™s stengths to the fullest advantage - we will be one very tough team to beat. It just wonā€™t happen in Game #3 of this year. Itā€™ll take some time to gain that experience/chemistry.

Look at our game vs. Lasme and Freeman from last year. Remember how well we played when UMass had Lasme on the bench? Remember how we had absolutely no answer for them when they were again working together in tandem? I would love it if our opponents have no answer for OUR guys.

But until I see itā€¦I canā€™t believe it- put me down for an 11th place starting point for Charlotte in the olā€™Power Rankings. Ask me again in January.

[quote=ā€œUMass13, post:1, topic:14595ā€]Hi there Niner fans, basketball season will be here in about 2 and 1/2 months so Iā€™m gonna give you my prediction of how the A10 will shake out this year.

1. Duquesne
2. URI
3. Dayton
4. Xavier
5. St. Louis
6. Fordham
7. St. Joeā€™s
8. Temple
9. UMass
10.GWU
11.Charlotte
12.LaSalle
13.Richmond
14.St Bonny

I feel the top 7 will be a log jam atop the confrence, kinda like a few years back whenr 4 o 5 teams tied for the CUSA Title. Xavier will have to adjust without Cage and Doleman, but there are so many returning starters on the 7, not to mention Duquesne will have a lot of guys ready for this season. I the A10 could be a 3 bid league this yearā€¦[/quote]

What THE HELL was this guy smoking?

Meth.