my observations from UMASS

we fell apart when Leemire stopped playing point, Carlos Williams is a terrible athlete who can’t shake anyone and he’s slow.

Deangelo Alexander cost us the game, this guy is supposed to be a senior stud and his nuts went up into his stomach when it was time to sink 3 free thows. He reminds me of Rex Chapman constantly heaving off balance shots.

I did like how I saw alot of Niner jerseys hitting the hardwoods for looseballs.

UMASS was far and away superior from a pure athletic and physical standpoint. #1 and #13 were beasts and we had nothing for them.

everyone on there team was good except for borat who ran like a duck shot like a duck and played like a duck

[QUOTE=the daxified one;213583]everyone on there team was good except for borat who ran like a duck shot like a duck and played like a duck[/QUOTE]

Lets hope he doesn’t have to play at Davidson.

Lets hope he doesn't have to play at Davidson.

:thumbsup:

i hope you saw what i am talking about. the curly headed white dude that was like 3 inches taller than the rest of the big guys on their team

[QUOTE=metro;213582]we fell apart when Leemire stopped playing point, Carlos Williams is a terrible athlete who can’t shake anyone and he’s slow.

Deangelo Alexander cost us the game, this guy is supposed to be a senior stud and his nuts went up into his stomach when it was time to sink 3 free thows. He reminds me of Rex Chapman constantly heaving off balance shots.

I did like how I saw alot of Niner jerseys hitting the hardwoods for looseballs.

UMASS was far and away superior from a pure athletic and physical standpoint. #1 and #13 were beasts and we had nothing for them.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure where you get the terrible athlete who can’t shake anyone part. Carlos had his typical up and down game. Great driving past everyone and converting, hitting a three and then making mistakes.

Other observations:

-Nice crowd, lots of groups and families.

-EJ was very good again. 13 rebounds against the biggest frontcourt in the league. He was stronger finishing in the second half.

-Great start, then offense went stagnant, they pounded it inside and we couldn’t hit the fts or shots to regain the lead.

everyone on there team was good except for borat who ran like a duck shot like a duck and played like a duck

So, I’m guessing he had to be a duck.

And yes Metro…totally agree with Carlos. That’s why I still have no clue what people saw in him when they labled him “The Next Colson”

Unless they meant the next Steve Colson…the part time AmWay salesman from Topeka, Kansas

UMass is a good team. I wrote this off as a loss early…so it didn’t disappoint me near as much as SLU or GW. Effort was good…EJ should make sportscenter when he brought the house down…GREAT crowd. Hopefully they can get something going…I liked what I saw for the most part today. The refs totally botched that out of bounds call (that aside from their always consistent horrible officiating)…should have been our ball and I think it was tied or we were down 2 at that point?

So, I'm guessing he had to be a duck.

And yes Metro…totally agree with Carlos. That’s why I still have no clue what people saw in him when they labled him “The Next Colson”

Unless they meant the next Steve Colson…the part time AmWay salesman from Topeka, Kansas

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/bonner_luke00.html

[QUOTE=ninerball49;213603]UMass is a good team. I wrote this off as a loss early…so it didn’t disappoint me near as much as SLU or GW. Effort was good…EJ should make sportscenter when he brought the house down…GREAT crowd. Hopefully they can get something going…I liked what I saw for the most part today. The refs totally botched that out of bounds call (that aside from their always consistent horrible officiating)…should have been our ball and I think it was tied or we were down 2 at that point?[/QUOTE]

Ian did bump that guy but the ref still had no idea what call he was making when he blew the whistle. He needed the extra time and conference to decide. Would have given us the ball down 2 with 28 secs left.

-Great start, then offense went stagnant, they pounded it inside and we couldn't hit the fts or shots to regain the lead.

Translation: We’re marginally better than we were at the start of the season but continue to blow leads, play porous defense and struggle with fundamentals.

Though I’ve seen flashes of improvement, this team is still mediocre at best and we’ll be lucky to finish over .500 on the year. I’d say I’m just ready for next year to get here but with the players we’ll lose and the completely unprovens coming in, I’m not about to get my hopes up.

I’m just sick of this team choking away leads. Not sure why they collapse after taking control of a game but it’s become a trend at this point. A lead is never safe with us, regardless of how large it is. Just once I’d like to see us play 40 minutes of solid ball on both ends of the court. Wishful thinking I guess.

The game, the season, the program, all kind of sad right now.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;213598]I’m not sure where you get the terrible athlete who can’t shake anyone part. Carlos had his typical up and down game. Great move driving and scoring, hitting a three and then making mistakes.

[/QUOTE]

not sure?
Carlos is slow and small, he may have made “a nice move” as you referred to, but anyone can have a nice move occasionally. Terrible athlete may be too strong of a word choice on my part, but if you know how to identify raw athletic talent and ability you’d know looking at him ONE TIME that he is mediocre at best.

Some more observations:

• UMass is a totally different team when Freeman and Lasme are not on the floor together. When Lasme sat on the bench with 2 quick fouls, Charlotte pounced and built, like, an early 15 point lead. Lasme re-entered the game and although he did not set any new block records - his presence caused problems. Those 2 players are phenomenal, but the rest of the team did not ‘wow’ me.

• Lasme and Freeman had about 20 rebounds and EJ (converted SF) and Ian (one-dimensional SG) had about 18. This speaks volumes. Number one, this year’s Charlotte team is weak in the interior. Number two, as a whole the team played with a chip on their shoulder and displayed some mental toughness. In my eyes, Ian matured. His earlier box scores made me physically ill (all scoring, no ‘hustle’ stats), but today he only hit one shot but found ways to contribute. EJ got mean in the 2nd half which I liked. If Charlotte continues to play this way, they may shed their “soft” label. And maybe, maybe, maybe - with some interior help next season - this team can make the fans proud again.

• The gameplan of UMass was obvious: Shut down Goldwire, shut down Charlotte’s perimeter offense and force us to go inside vs. the UMass frontcourt. I think Goldwire’s first 3 pt attempt came late in the game. Goldwire adjusted and had a nice assist total.

• I figured Charlotte would play scared against UMass and duck and chuck contested threes all game long. They didn’t! I think UMass actually attempted more threes than Charlotte until the last 2 minutes of the game. !!!

• The Jamison for Antwon substitutions were kind of odd.

• I listened to the Saint Louis game when Charlotte was winning and thought to myself ‘Charlotte does not deserve to win this game’. It sounded like the players went into Saint Louis’ arena and noticed that they were easily sinking jump shots in the warmup against the famously tight rims. The players then proceeded to ignore all aspects of the game of basketball except for shooting. The UMass game was different. I thought the players earned a win. The team looked good in the 2nd half of the Richmond game, looked terrific vs. Dayton and then faded against GW and especially against Saint Louis. I was pleased with the effort today. They looked focused and there were signs that the team has improved since Nov/Dec.

• The defense looked good in the first half. Nice to see some steals and turnovers.

• Are the A-10 refs on strike or something? Did they collectively agree to make bad calls until a new contract is negotiated? Did that UMass player telepathically tell the referee that he wanted a timeout? What kind of player thinks ‘Gee, I better call a timeout before I [I]accidently[/I] step out of bounds’?

What we see is what we get.This team is just not that good.They are playing well for about 30 minutes.Maybe they are just wearing down at the end of games.EJ,Lee & DA play a lot of minutes.As for todays game UMass took advantage of Charlotte’s weakness.EJ was great and Lee & DA can’t get open looks.

[QUOTE=ninerrbl;213644]What we see is what we get.This team is just not that good.They are playing well for about 30 minutes.Maybe they are just wearing down at the end of games.EJ,Lee & DA play a lot of minutes.As for todays game UMass took advantage of Charlotte’s weakness.EJ was great and Lee & DA can’t get open looks.[/QUOTE]
useyourspacebar

Well,here’s my thoughts…unpopular as they may be.Our major problem is the coach,I have fought againat saying that but its too clear now.Look at guys we’ve wasted scholarships on…J.Lewis(2 more years) end of bench material…Phaler(beyond end of bench)…Courtney W.(looks like even Bobby’s had it with him)…I won’t mention Dewhurst,even tho I have great reservations,…Carlos W…Ian(I know we all want to really like him,but he’s verrry slow,can’t play defense to save his life and is a very poor Brendan Plavich substitute(has anyone else noticed how he always misses clutch free throws)… My point here is there are 2 major parts to a coaches job…#1 recruiting…and Lutz’ is getting worse and worse,can you picture us without Dangelo and E.J.All you apologists can say what you want about his recruiting but I think we’re only in the middle of a deep pit here,it can get worse…2nd major part of a coaches job…x’s and o’s and improving your players…tell me the last time anyone saw us run a decent play,I can’t remember,its like Bobby thinks its unnecessary.When was the last time we had a guy get significantly better here,the only guy I can think of in the recent past is Eddie,and i’m not too sure Bobby had crap to do with that.I’ve had it,seeing him do that bit on the bench,holding his head as we screw up something else,or watching Judy Rose giving out more awards at midcourt…We stink,our A.D. and coach are bringing us down,and the future looks dim! Sorry,that’s how it looks to me. Sorry in advance for my poor spacing to the spacing police.

My 2 cents. We have looked for years to the quick fix. We have gone for JUCO’s, transfers and all sorts of other ways to avoid HS recruiting. And it is hurting us this year. EJ has been great. However all of the rest of our JUCO guys have been dissapointing at best. Others have been down right terrible.

I think the other thing that we have not done is recruited our home front. I think it should be noted that some of our best players in this program (DeMarco, Jobey, EJ, Curt) all have come from Charlotte. Players take pride in representing their home. I think the fact that we haven’t been more consistent in Charlotte has hurt us when we go for the guys like an Ish Smith or an Anthony Morrow. We need to hammer Charlotte and set up pipelines. Could you imagine if we could actually control the Charlotte pipeline how talented this team would be. Morrow, Smith, Skeen, Rivers, Curry, Dewhurst, EJ. All these guys came from Charlotte. We need to do a better job of going after and getting Charlotte and local talent.

One thing that I don’t like is that Bobby is calling his players out on the radio. This has to stop. Don’t vent your frustrations to the public. That should be a last resort tactic. It makes him sound like a Coach who is reaching for straws. This team has made progress. If their are players who are not putting the team concept ahead of individual accolades, they should not be playing. That should be sufficient.

Finally. Bobby please do not let Carlos and DA go out and do whatever they want. Force them to play within the team. And tell Ian to reign in the shooting. We have to do a better job of making the extra passes. It is sad that this team has not once eclipsed 20 assists (too my knowledge). That means we are not passing and going one on one. This has to stop immediately. We don’t have anybody who can consistently beat his man one on one. Make the team move and pass and set screens. Stop this run the play for X guy and lets see if he hits a shot. We have some flex sets, use them more often. Incorporate some motion into the offense. Try some more cuts, curls, handoffs. We should not consistently be shooting below 40%.

ian is a freshman. tell me he’s not like plavich after he leaves. you cant make judgements about him as a player this early in his college career. look around the country…what freshman is money from the FT line 100% of the time? none.

[QUOTE]- Are the A-10 refs on strike or something? Did they collectively agree to make bad calls until a new contract is negotiated? Did that UMass player telepathically tell the referee that he wanted a timeout? What kind of player thinks ‘Gee, I better call a timeout before I accidently step out of bounds’?[/QUOTE]
Ever since we came into this conference, our officiating has really gone to hell in a handbasket - and it wasn’t that great in C-USA! However, don’t think for a second this is limited to basketball - the baseball umps are actually worse than the basketball refs. We had great umps last year in baseball, and then conference play started. Awful.

Carlos Williams is a disaster. I would rather have Curtis Nash… that’s right, [I]CURTIS NASH[/I]… running the point. I think Traci Ray should be the PG for the guys. Let Carlos run point for the girls - his speed is more suitable for the women’s game.