Name Confusion Log

Driving back from g-boring during 3rd quarter heard the #2 commentator call us North Carolina…

I was very impressed with the ESPNU broadcast. They referred to us as simply “Charlotte”, “Charlotte 49ers”, “49ers” or “Niners” and even dropped “Niner Nation” in there a few times. There were no issues with the graphics and at one point I even noticed the old Norm logo (my signature) pop up! I wonder if we are working on slowly working that graphic identity back in some sort of secondary form.

I thought the same thing, but then watching the WMU-Sparty game State’s old-school Sparty outline logo popped up in the same spot. Maybe ESPN is just putting “throwback” logos in that spot for some reason?

Facebook comment on Observer’s page about that article linked above. I didn’t know to laugh or cry.

“It’s no different in any other state. We are under the UNC system. We are the UNC chapel hill system at Charlotte…make sense. To become the University of Charlotte we would have to leave the UNC system.”

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153213247980318&id=42580340317&refid=7&ft=qid.6191128025979528481%3Amf_story_key.-673596986926137759%3AeligibleForSeeFirstBumping.&tn=%2As

[quote=“emf, post:1864, topic:12347”]Facebook comment on Observer’s page about that article linked above. I didn’t know to laugh or cry.

“It’s no different in any other state. We are under the UNC system. We are the UNC chapel hill system at Charlotte…make sense. To become the University of Charlotte we would have to leave the UNC system.”

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153213247980318&id=42580340317&refid=7&ft=qid.6191128025979528481%3Amf_story_key.-673596986926137759%3AeligibleForSeeFirstBumping.&tn=%2As[/quote] Cry.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:1865, topic:12347”][quote=“emf, post:1864, topic:12347”]Facebook comment on Observer’s page about that article linked above. I didn’t know to laugh or cry.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153213247980318&id=42580340317&refid=7&ft=qid.6191128025979528481%3Amf_story_key.-673596986926137759%3AeligibleForSeeFirstBumping.&tn=%2As[/quote] Cry.[/quote]
You can see how difficult the name change will be based on the responses in that thread. A lot of alums have an emotional attachment to “UNCC” and others like the association / confusion with Chapel Hill. I did like the one comment that a name change would cause alums to become disconnected; they’re already disconnected.

For posterity, the scoreboard at our first FBS game at Georgia State said UNC-C before they changed it to CHAR.[/quote]

I thought they changed it to “49ers”.

For posterity, the scoreboard at our first FBS game at Georgia State said UNC-C before they changed it to CHAR.[/quote]

I thought they changed it to “49ers”.[/quote]they did

I thought they changed it to “49ers”.[/quote]they did[/quote]
Here’s a pic of CHAR after they’d changed it from UNC-C https://mobile.twitter.com/BobbyRosinski/status/639860546439901184/photo/1
You’d think this would be routine stuff communicated long before we entered the building, what to put on the scoreboard, etc.

[quote=“emf, post:1866, topic:12347”][quote=“4ever niner, post:1865, topic:12347”][quote=“emf, post:1864, topic:12347”]Facebook comment on Observer’s page about that article linked above. I didn’t know to laugh or cry.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153213247980318&id=42580340317&refid=7&ft=qid.6191128025979528481%3Amf_story_key.-673596986926137759%3AeligibleForSeeFirstBumping.&tn=%2As[/quote] Cry.[/quote]
You can see how difficult the name change will be based on the responses in that thread. A lot of alums have an emotional attachment to “UNCC” and others like the association / confusion with Chapel Hill. I did like the one comment that a name change would cause alums to become disconnected; they’re already disconnected.[/quote]

So true.

I’m sorry but if you haven’t stepped on campus since you graduated in 1996, and have lived in the region ever since, then your opinion should not matter. “DON’T TAKE MY UNCC AWAY DER DER DER!!! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!”

[quote=“SteauA, post:1870, topic:12347”][quote=“emf, post:1866, topic:12347”][quote=“4ever niner, post:1865, topic:12347”][quote=“emf, post:1864, topic:12347”]Facebook comment on Observer’s page about that article linked above. I didn’t know to laugh or cry.

You can see how difficult the name change will be based on the responses in that thread. A lot of alums have an emotional attachment to “UNCC” and others like the association / confusion with Chapel Hill. I did like the one comment that a name change would cause alums to become disconnected; they’re already disconnected.[/quote]

So true.

I’m sorry but if you haven’t stepped on campus since you graduated in 1996, and have lived in the region ever since, then your opinion should not matter. “DON’T TAKE MY UNCC AWAY DER DER DER!!! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!”[/quote]

Also depends on who is doing the commenting. The first guy to comment doesn’t appear to even be an alum. He’s opinion should not be considered at all. Another guy’s comment appears to be from someone who got his graduate degree at Charlotte. His loyalty is probably else where. His opinion shouldn’t be considered either.

I’ve always wished there was a way to figure out from those who are against a name change, which team/school do they most root for. I suspect the number who actually root for Charlotte is extremely low. If that’s the case their opinion’s really shouldn’t matter. That proves they really don’t have the best interest for the school.

Well, I suggest we should comment and let these idiots know how many of us are out there that do want a name change. Let 'em have it. Open their eyes.

University of Charlotte

[quote=“ninereast, post:1873, topic:12347”]University of Charlotte[/quote] +1

Someone did make a good point in those comments though that the only people that really want the name change usually have a deep affiliation with athletics. I think most of the general school population doesn’t have as much of an aversion to anything/all things Chapel Hill.

One huge hurdle to a name change is the technical side of things. One of the comments referred to the university’s domain name (uncc.edu), suggesting that it’s trivial to just change it if we didn’t want to promote “UNCC”. Universities are only allowed one dot-edu domain name. If you want to change the domain name, you have 6 months, with a possible additional 6 months on request, to migrate from one domain to another. This would mean reconfiguring every computer on campus, updating everyone’s email address and notifying their contacts of the change, updating lots of code and scripts and databases, updating all the links in the university’s websites (around 400 sites), updating all the electronic documents, updating all the stationary and business cards and other dead tree media, etc. So, even after spending millions of dollars and expending tens of thousands of work hours changing everything, after the domain name switches, you’re going to have thousands of emails bouncing daily and have a huge smoking crater in the WWW of the 20 years’ worth of external links to *.uncc.edu with no way of forwarding those bad emails or links. Think of all the professor’s citations, email addresses in publications that would break, etc. I’m not sure how you argue the benefits of a name change with that much downside, plus adding in the philosophical differences in the name change itself.

Probably the most we can hope for in the next 10 years is a branding change like Virginia Tech / Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. The people that want “UNC” on their diploma are appeased, but it gets us further away from Chapel Hill in daily conversation and unifies Athletics and Academics. Still going to be a struggle to convince the locals to stop saying “UNCC” no matter what, though.

Also, there are those that say that “University of Charlotte” suggests that we’re a city-funded school. The name would probably have to be in line with the other city-oriented schools in the System and be “Charlotte State University”. Like Elizabeth City, Fayetteville, and Winston-Salem.

[quote=“emf, post:1876, topic:12347”]One huge hurdle to a name change is the technical side of things. One of the comments referred to the university’s domain name (uncc.edu), suggesting that it’s trivial to just change it if we didn’t want to promote “UNCC”. Universities are only allowed one dot-edu domain name. If you want to change the domain name, you have 6 months, with a possible additional 6 months on request, to migrate from one domain to another. This would mean reconfiguring every computer on campus, updating everyone’s email address and notifying their contacts of the change, updating lots of code and scripts and databases, updating all the links in the university’s websites (around 400 sites), updating all the electronic documents, updating all the stationary and business cards and other dead tree media, etc. So, even after spending millions of dollars and expending tens of thousands of work hours changing everything, after the domain name switches, you’re going to have thousands of emails bouncing daily and have a huge smoking crater in the WWW of the 20 years’ worth of external links to *.uncc.edu with no way of forwarding those bad emails or links. Think of all the professor’s citations, email addresses in publications that would break, etc. I’m not sure how you argue the benefits of a name change with that much downside, plus adding in the philosophical differences in the name change itself.

Probably the most we can hope for in the next 10 years is a branding change like Virginia Tech / Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. The people that want “UNC” on their diploma are appeased, but it gets us further away from Chapel Hill in daily conversation and unifies Athletics and Academics. Still going to be a struggle to convince the locals to stop saying “UNCC” no matter what, though.

Also, there are those that say that “University of Charlotte” suggests that we’re a city-funded school. The name would probably have to be in line with the other city-oriented schools in the System and be “Charlotte State University”. Like Elizabeth City, Fayetteville, and Winston-Salem.[/quote]

Good points. I am 100% ok with rebrading and going by Charlotte State is ok in my book.

University of the Carolina’s
or
Carolina U

(We could call ourselves “Carolina”)

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:1877, topic:12347”][quote=“emf, post:1876, topic:12347”]One huge hurdle to a name change is the technical side of things. One of the comments referred to the university’s domain name (uncc.edu), suggesting that it’s trivial to just change it if we didn’t want to promote “UNCC”. Universities are only allowed one dot-edu domain name. If you want to change the domain name, you have 6 months, with a possible additional 6 months on request, to migrate from one domain to another. This would mean reconfiguring every computer on campus, updating everyone’s email address and notifying their contacts of the change, updating lots of code and scripts and databases, updating all the links in the university’s websites (around 400 sites), updating all the electronic documents, updating all the stationary and business cards and other dead tree media, etc. So, even after spending millions of dollars and expending tens of thousands of work hours changing everything, after the domain name switches, you’re going to have thousands of emails bouncing daily and have a huge smoking crater in the WWW of the 20 years’ worth of external links to *.uncc.edu with no way of forwarding those bad emails or links. Think of all the professor’s citations, email addresses in publications that would break, etc. I’m not sure how you argue the benefits of a name change with that much downside, plus adding in the philosophical differences in the name change itself.

Also, there are those that say that “University of Charlotte” suggests that we’re a city-funded school. The name would probably have to be in line with the other city-oriented schools in the System and be “Charlotte State University”. Like Elizabeth City, Fayetteville, and Winston-Salem.[/quote]

Good points. I am 100% ok with rebrading and going by Charlotte State is ok in my book.[/quote]Agreed, it is a monumental task to do the things laid out (thanks btw) by EMF, rebranding is OK by me as well.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:1877, topic:12347”][quote=“emf, post:1876, topic:12347”]One huge hurdle to a name change is the technical side of things. One of the comments referred to the university’s domain name (uncc.edu), suggesting that it’s trivial to just change it if we didn’t want to promote “UNCC”. Universities are only allowed one dot-edu domain name. If you want to change the domain name, you have 6 months, with a possible additional 6 months on request, to migrate from one domain to another. This would mean reconfiguring every computer on campus, updating everyone’s email address and notifying their contacts of the change, updating lots of code and scripts and databases, updating all the links in the university’s websites (around 400 sites), updating all the electronic documents, updating all the stationary and business cards and other dead tree media, etc. So, even after spending millions of dollars and expending tens of thousands of work hours changing everything, after the domain name switches, you’re going to have thousands of emails bouncing daily and have a huge smoking crater in the WWW of the 20 years’ worth of external links to *.uncc.edu with no way of forwarding those bad emails or links. Think of all the professor’s citations, email addresses in publications that would break, etc. I’m not sure how you argue the benefits of a name change with that much downside, plus adding in the philosophical differences in the name change itself.

Good points. I am 100% ok with rebrading and going by Charlotte State is ok in my book.[/quote]

Charlotte State University is fine by me.

University of Charlotte is okay too.

Hell, UNCC is okay in my book. I’m just sick of having to support two different brands, it simply isn’t working.

We have football now, the biggest tool of brand awareness a college not named Tufts, Wheaton, Harvard, or Yale can have. We are wasting that tool by flying it under a different brand.

The flip side to that is that with football carrying the same brand as the university, many of the issues that caused the change from UNCC to just “Charlotte” on the athletic front could be alleviated and reversed much more easily.

I’ve said it a hundred times and I’ll say it a hundred times again… I don’t really care what we call ourselves, I’m just ready for us to get out of our own way and settle on a single brand. We’re shooting ourselves in the foot right now.