NBA Dress code

LinkI don’ t know if it was discussed yet. I was reading an article on Yahoo sports about it and some of the responses were really entertaining:

Chicago Bulls rookie Eddie Basden said. “But whatever it is, it’s cool. I already have a couple of good pieces because even when I was in college, I always had to look GQ.”

Chicago Bulls veteran guard Eric Piatkowski said. "Some of the guys were worried at first because they thought they would have to go buy a full rack of expensive suits.

You would of never thought that a professional basketball player would ever be worried about being able to afford some professional atire to wear to work. Its a wonder how in the world the rest of America manages.

Iverson, the All-Star guard of the Philadelphia 76ers who rarely wears a collared shirt, and San Antonio Spurs All-Star forward Tim Duncan, who often wears dress shirts and baggy jeans to team functions, are two of the NBA’s more prominent players who have voiced opposition to it.

If these guys had any sense whatsoever about business!!! They get paid millions of dollars because they bring millions of fans together. As the NBA’s immage deteriorates so does that fan base. Pretty soon they will lose TV time to other sports and such that drawl bigger crowds. Then all the money is gone…and no job and no money for NBA players.

Yeah I am about tired of hearing Iverson and Jackson of the Pacers complaining about this. Any business has the right to make certain dress code rules. I work at Wachovia and my department has certain expectations and rules. Failure to comply can lead to being dismissed. Jackson says it is racist… how is it racist in the NBA but not when a young black college grad starts working for an accounting firm? This crap drives me insane… 007 you hit it on the head… the image is going down the tubes and hearing someone like Jackson say things like that just makes it go down faster in my book. I love basketball… but am at the point I could careless about the NBA. The one Bobcats game I went was pretty bad. The team played hard, but the atmosphere was awful. Dont even get me started on the music being played… no way would I take my child to a game (that is if I had children).

I respect Tim Duncan big time. Any fan of the NBA knows that he 's one of the classiest players in the league, so I’m going to have to support him for that very reason. He never bullshits or badmouths officials or runs into the stands raising hell. If a man like Tim Duncan wants to dress the way he wants, I support it.

Although I do agree that in the end, it’s all a business. If NBA officials want something done, well, they have the right to do so, just like your bosses at your jobs do (like WBNiner pointed out)

I think I just contradicted myself.

Ok, I’m done. :rolleyes:

The people who cut the check should make the rules. Plain and simple.

Brevin Knight had something to say about this on Penner and Mac a few days ago. He said something along the lines of: a regular NBA season has 82 games, meaning some of the players that make the NBA minimum will have to go out and buy around 40 suits.

#1. Do you really need that many? I’m in my third year of college, and I only have like 3 suits.

#2. I don’t think an NBA player is inactive for the entire season, meaning he won’t need to plan his attire for 82 games.

#3. If you want to dress like you’re 16, watch the game from the locker room.

Discuss.

[i]Originally posted by gotLutz[/i]@Oct 22 2005, 12:25 AM [b] I respect Tim Duncan big time. Any fan of the NBA knows that he 's one of the classiest players in the league, so I'm going to have to support him for that very reason. He never bullshits or badmouths officials or runs into the stands raising hell. If a man like Tim Duncan wants to dress the way he wants, I support it.

[/b]

I repect WBNiner. He seems like a classy workere at Wachovia. He never runs in the office raising hell or bad mouths his bosses. I support him meeting with clients in a dew-rag, an XXXXXXLLLL Fubu jersy and some gold teeth. He should be able to wear that if he wants. :stuck_out_tongue:

NLP, I don’t think its always plain and simple…maybe in this case though. It really depends on how much bargaining power you have. At first glance you might say that these players have the most bargaining power. Why else would they get paid millions. They really aren’t substitutable…well at least the better players.

My point was that these players cant neglect the value added by the NBA. According to Michael Porter whoever brings the most value added to a product controls the value chain. In this case the NBA. What would college basketball do without the NCAA? How would we determine who really is the best team in the country? Televisions largest contract in history was CBS’s coverage of the NCAA tourney.

Occasionally there are salesman that dictate their own rules. Companies kiss these guys ass because they are the bread and the butter of the company. Without these guys there would be no sales. No sales = No company

I guess I just get frustrated with the ignorance out there!! These guys aren’t getting paid for there fashion sense, there getting paid for there athletic tallent. Why they insist on biting off the hand that feeds then I dont know.

[b]Brevin Knight had something to say about this on Penner and Mac a few days ago. He said something along the lines of: a regular NBA season has 82 games, meaning some of the players that make the NBA minimum will have to go out and buy around 40 suits.[/b]

Are you kidding me? Did he really say that? WOW! These players are so out of touch with reality it isn’t even funny. I am pretty sure 10-15 suits would do just fine and try buying some different ties and shirts and there ya go. I mean here I work at a bank and I have 5 suits. I am lucky enough to be able to dress business casual most of the time, which means I have about 6 pairs of khakis and more golf shirts than I care to admit. If I can afford to buy the clothes I have on my salary I am pretty positive ANY NBA player can afford to buy 15 suits.

[b] I respect Tim Duncan big time. Any fan of the NBA knows that he 's one of the classiest players in the league, so I'm going to have to support him for that very reason. He never bullshits or badmouths officials or runs into the stands raising hell. If a man like Tim Duncan wants to dress the way he wants, I support it.[/b]

I like TD too and I think what he ussually wore is acceptable. What has happened though is that because a handful of players can not comprehend “professional dress” the league has done it for them. As is the case in the real world… a few bad apples ruin it for everyone else.

jeans and a polo shirt (which is all that is required) is way cheaper than most of the stuff they wear on the sidelines anyways

Good point ninerID… had not eventhought about all those diamond earings and jewelry they all seem to wear… if they can buy that then the clothes should be easy.

This seems like a no brainer to me…You have to wear what your boss’s tell you. It’s that simple…does any other workplace in the universe have this problem?

here is why these worthless idiots get away with this kinda stuff, current question on YahooFinance.

[b]Q. An "official sponsorship" with which of the following sports leagues has the biggest short-term impact on a company's stock price?

MLB, NFL, NBA, PGA, NHL[/b]

the answer is the NBA

according to this study

[b]public companies that announced an "official product" sponsorship with the NBA experienced a risk-adjusted bump in their share price of approximately 3.0% in the days following the announcement.

The paper, authored by T. Bettina Cornwell from the University of Queensland, Australia, Stephen Pruitt from the University of Missouri at Kansas City and John M. Clark from the University of Southern Mississippi, reviewed the impact of 53 major corporate sports sponsorship deals announced between 1992 and 2003. Their research showed that partnering with other sports leagues can also positively impact market performance. The average increase in share price for companies partnering with the NHL was 2.41%, for the PGA it was 1.46%, for MLB it was 0.86%, and for the NFL it was only 0.30%. The average increase in share price across all the sponsorships studied was 1.11% in the week following the announcement. In dollar terms, the average product sponsorship deal created $257M in incremental market capitalization. [/b]

I think the problem is NOT that these players have issues with wearing suits. It’s quite the contrary; They’d feel the need to purchase the world’s most expensive, tacky suits available (à la Deion Sanders). Just as they currently compete to see who can find the most embarassing negative correlation by spending more money to look more stupid, I have complete faith they’ll find new and exciting ways to blow absurd amounts of cash on ugly dress attire.

It’s not the spending of money that they’re mad about (if anything, they’ve proven they’re quite good at that); it’s the creativity-limiting restrictions the dress code brings with it that is the real problem.

They need to either STFU about the dress code or begin to think of ways to bling out their future fast food name tags.