NCAA issues L1 Practice Penalty to MBB for low APR...

Correct, but the first year he was here when we had a mass exodus of players with subpar[size=2] grades is wh[/size]at hurt us. From the Charlotte49ers.com article:

[size=2][font=Arial]The Charlotte 49ers men’s basketball team, which has a reported 928 multi-year APR, was given a level one practice time penalty by the NCAA. The NCAA Academic Performance Program (APP) noted that the 49ers were not subject to harsher penalties due to the team’s demonstrated academic improvement. [/font][font=Arial]I[/font][/size][size=small][font=Arial]n three of the four reporting years, the 49ers single-year APR was over 955 and that number has improved in each of the last two years.[/font][/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size] [size=2][/size]
[size=2][font=Arial]Charlotte’s 928 APR is slightly below the mandated 930 APR. The 2010-11 season was the only season in the reporting years that came in below the mandated number. That was the first year under current head coach Alan Major and, in large part, reflected the turnover caused during the coaching change.[/font][/size]
[size=2][/size]

Transfers only count against you if they leave with a GPA lower than 2.6. Originally if they left but then failed to graduate at the next location you were still responsible. That’s no longer the case.

The school was waiting on Denzel’s grades before they allowed him to transfer.

I like how Judy sat there at the final coaches show and said APR wasn’t an issue.

THIS

To be fair, our recovery from that first season is impressive.

#BOOM

So, to be clear, APR is calculated over a four year period, right? So, next year our penalties should be done with, assuming no massive academic failure this coming season?

To be fair, our recovery from that first season is impressive.[/quote]

Thats great. She still sat there and lied to everyone sitting in the room. We are still seeing players transfer. Major has still recruited his share of knuckleheads. I just don’t like the fact that this AD hired this coach who could not or would not work with the players that were on the roster and the impact of that is a penalty for the program and no one is held accountable for it except the coach who is no longer here. If we were making the NCAAs then fine whatever - we lose some practice time, but we aren’t.

I don’t really put this on Bobby or Alan Major. This was the result of one year after a coaching change. They fixed the problem too. There are a lot of problems with our basketball program, but this isn’t one of them. It would have been near impossible to have avoided this result in light of what happened after a coach was fired.

Honestly, this is as much Phil Jones fault as anyone. If he doesn’t flunk out, we’re not looking at this at all. Or if Spears wasn’t a cancer.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:30, topic:28816”]I don’t really put this on Bobby or Alan Major. This was the result of one year after a coaching change. They fixed the problem too. There are a lot of problems with our basketball program, but this isn’t one of them. It would have been near impossible to have avoided this result in light of what happened after a coach was fired.

Honestly, this is as much Phil Jones fault as anyone. If he doesn’t flunk out, we’re not looking at this at all. Or if Spears wasn’t a cancer.[/quote]

Let’s hope it is fixed.

2004 - 938
2005 - 957
2006 - 942
2007 - 960
2008 - 969
2009 - 950
2010 - 940
2011 - 938
2012 - 928

All I know is NWA told us so. Y’all don’t listen.

Please, please, please tell me that you guys are smart enough to know that this is nothing but a paper penalty that makes it look like the NCAA is doing something.

We aren’t losing any practice time, there are so many ways around stuff like this that is we can’t figure it out we should suffer.

[quote=“hootie, post:33, topic:28816”]Please, please, please tell me that you guys are smart enough to know that this is nothing but a paper penalty that makes it look like the NCAA is doing something.

We aren’t losing any practice time, there are so many ways around stuff like this that is we can’t figure it out we should suffer.[/quote]

For other programs I would agree with you. For us though? I fully expect us to enforce this, one because that is how Judy is and two because it is program like us that the NCAA focuses on.

#StealthAD[/quote]

I wish they were stealth about this, I just don’t see what the point is… if nobody knew we had this hit would it really change anything, instead we get an email saying we are losing practice time because we couldn’t retain players. I guess I’m in the minority on this view.[/quote]

I don’t think you can hide an NCAA penalty. Better to be forthcoming and take ownership.[/quote]

There is a difference between “hiding” and sending out a mass email to everyone that follows the program, the die hards won’t care but the fringe fans will ask why can’t the program stay out of trouble… perception is reality… we seem to have a problem understanding that.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:34, topic:28816”][quote=“hootie, post:33, topic:28816”]Please, please, please tell me that you guys are smart enough to know that this is nothing but a paper penalty that makes it look like the NCAA is doing something.

We aren’t losing any practice time, there are so many ways around stuff like this that is we can’t figure it out we should suffer.[/quote]

For other programs I would agree with you. For us though? I fully expect us to enforce this, one because that is how Judy is and two because it is program like us that the NCAA focuses on.[/quote]

Pretty much, we are our own worst enemy.

Oh and I don’t know who, but someone next year, if/when we again fail to achieve, will fall back on the lack of practice time as a reason.

I will not spend any time thinking about this. At the end of the season this team, and this coaching staff, will be judged on wins and losses. Whether they have 16 or 20 hours to get it done is their problem.

And to Hootie’s point…

NCAA rules say coaches can take only 20 hours a week of their players' time, regardless of the sport...In its survey, conducted last year and released during the NCAA's annual convention here, the association asked players to count both required and voluntary activities... In men's basketball, it was slightly more than 39 hours on their sport vs. 37-plus on academics.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/2011-01-14-ncaa-survey_N.htm

Are you sure about that? I mean at some point it has to happen but thus far our AD has done a wonderful job making excuses.

Are teams penalized for fake courses?