NCAA moves kickoffs to the 35 yard line

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7611324/ncaa-moves-kickoffs-30-yard-line-35

Not a fan.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:1, topic:26442”]http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7611324/ncaa-moves-kickoffs-30-yard-line-35

Not a fan.[/quote]
Maybe they should wrap the players up in bubble wrap and roll them out onto the field.

[quote=“NinerNirvana, post:2, topic:26442”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:1, topic:26442”]http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7611324/ncaa-moves-kickoffs-30-yard-line-35

Not a fan.[/quote]
Maybe they should wrap the players up in bubble wrap and roll them out onto the field.[/quote]

Well said! I have had a similar feeling for sometime now. I do not want players to get hurt. I don’t think any one here is advocating that position. However football is being moved further and further away from its glory days and is getting closer to flag football every year. Again not saying I want people to get hurt, but let’s play the game as it was meant to be played.

The research on what concussions do to people’s brains is a real cause for concern, particularly for the younger kids (high school and below). Permanent brain injury should not be a side effect of playing a sport.

Every time they make some rule change for safety, people have gotten upset and talk about the glory days when players could get brain damage if the want (and they’re soft if they don’t want to hit hard and go over the middle and get brain damage). Helmets were no different, and yet how many people care about that now? I think the game can stand some minor tweaks to make it safer.

No big deal on this move. I doubt it will cut the number of returns down by more than 10%. Had they moved to the 40, then that would be different. This matches the NFL’s move, so not a big bother to me as a football fan.

Granted. But what would be an “acceptable” side affect to playing a contact sport. Should permant knee damage be allowed? What about paralysis? One could easily argue that any negative physical side affect is unacceptable. Again not advocating injuries, but injuries happen in contact sports. This applies to soccer, baseball, and what have you. All sports bear the inherent risk of injury and we should not change the rules to try and avert what is inevitable. If we did then we should make the base balls out of felt so beaned batters won’t get hurt, and change the hardwood on a basketball court to foam so when they fall it will be a softer landig.

Consider this, no one is forcing these people to play. They can choose any one of millions of choices for spending their free time and the choose a sport with inherent dangers. If they do not want to accept that possibility then don’t play. Just like people who do no want to get burned should not be firefighters, and people that are germaphobes should not be doctors, if you don’t want to accept the risk of getting hurt don’t play the sport.

Granted. But what would be an “acceptable” side affect to playing a contact sport. Should permant knee damage be allowed? What about paralysis? One could easily argue that any negative physical side affect is unacceptable. Again not advocating injuries, but injuries happen in contact sports. This applies to soccer, baseball, and what have you. All sports bear the inherent risk of injury and we should not change the rules to try and avert what is inevitable. If we did then we should make the base balls out of felt so beaned batters won’t get hurt, and change the hardwood on a basketball court to foam so when they fall it will be a softer landig.

Consider this, no one is forcing these people to play. They can choose any one of millions of choices for spending their free time and the choose a sport with inherent dangers. If they do not want to accept that possibility then don’t play. Just like people who do no want to get burned should not be firefighters, and people that are germaphobes should not be doctors, if you don’t want to accept the risk of getting hurt don’t play the sport.[/quote] I get that there’s a balance point, where some risk is acceptable but not too much and where you expect the participant to be informed on what those risks entail. I think football currently has too high a risk for concussions, which have much more devastating effects on people than chronic knee problems, etc. Some of the rules changes that have been implemented so far, even if people got upset about it, have helped to reduce the number of concussions during practice and games, though I’d like to see better helmets required, more restrictions on how many hits younger players take in practice and games, and harsher penalties for head shots. Those other sports don’t have near the risk of concussions that you have in football, nor the build up of head shots over time (which may cumulatively be just as bad as the big hit according to new research).

I’m not sure you can say no one is forcing kids to play football. But even if not, do you think kids and even many of the college/pro football players really understand what the risks of concussions are? It’s particularly hard because you often don’t see any effects right away, it’s only later in life that they really show up. I think the sport governing bodies have a responsibility to protect their workers and players if they can. Even for the pros, the management have to accept some responsibility for putting their workers at risk. You could say that no one forces miners to go down underground, but does that mean we get rid of safety requirements so that the mining company can make more money? There’s still risks in doing it, but neglecting or ignoring safety rules should be criminal offenses.

Consider this, no one is forcing these people to play. They can choose any one of millions of choices for spending their free time and the choose a sport with inherent dangers. If they do not want to accept that possibility then don’t play. Just like people who do no want to get burned should not be firefighters, and people that are germaphobes should not be doctors, if you don’t want to accept the risk of getting hurt don’t play the sport.[/quote] I get that there’s a balance point, where some risk is acceptable but not too much and where you expect the participant to be informed on what those risks entail. I think football currently has too high a risk for concussions, which have much more devastating effects on people than chronic knee problems, etc. Some of the rules changes that have been implemented so far, even if people got upset about it, have helped to reduce the number of concussions during practice and games, though I’d like to see better helmets required, more restrictions on how many hits younger players take in practice and games, and harsher penalties for head shots. Those other sports don’t have near the risk of concussions that you have in football, nor the build up of head shots over time (which may cumulatively be just as bad as the big hit according to new research).

I’m not sure you can say no one is forcing kids to play football. But even if not, do you think kids and even many of the college/pro football players really understand what the risks of concussions are? It’s particularly hard because you often don’t see any effects right away, it’s only later in life that they really show up. I think the sport governing bodies have a responsibility to protect their workers and players if they can. Even for the pros, the management have to accept some responsibility for putting their workers at risk. You could say that no one forces miners to go down underground, but does that mean we get rid of safety requirements so that the mining company can make more money? There’s still risks in doing it, but neglecting or ignoring safety rules should be criminal offenses.[/quote]

I dont recall ever advocating for the removal of saftey equipment, and paralysis is pretty serious (or at least I think so).

If we can make hemelts that eliminate head injuries I am all for it. Also I would agree with you that kids these days are playing a very physical game at waaaayyyyy too early. Heck if you wanted to eliminate football untill the eighth grade I could see myself joining such a cause.

It wont really matter if every kid in the nation was properly aware of the risks of head injuries, because each of them would assume it would never happen to them. Also I stand by the idea that no one is making them play. These kids want to play, and the want the attention and fame that comes with playing (we are assuming they are good, but what kid does not enter a sport and at least not think he is ok at it?). We should make the equipment as safe as we can and teach them to protect themselves on the field during practice. We should not change the game.

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:3, topic:26442”][quote=“NinerNirvana, post:2, topic:26442”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:1, topic:26442”]http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7611324/ncaa-moves-kickoffs-30-yard-line-35

Not a fan.[/quote]
Maybe they should wrap the players up in bubble wrap and roll them out onto the field.[/quote]

Well said! I have had a similar feeling for sometime now. I do not want players to get hurt. I don’t think any one here is advocating that position. However football is being moved further and further away from its glory days and is getting closer to flag football every year. Again not saying I want people to get hurt, but let’s play the game as it was meant to be played.[/quote]

This is true. What’s really funny about this is that I think basketball is moving in the exact opposite direction and becoming more and more a contact sport every year.

Here’s my question, what percentage of concussions occur on kickoff returns?

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:8, topic:26442”]I dont recall ever advocating for the removal of saftey equipment, and paralysis is pretty serious (or at least I think so).

If we can make hemelts that eliminate head injuries I am all for it. Also I would agree with you that kids these days are playing a very physical game at waaaayyyyy too early. Heck if you wanted to eliminate football untill the eighth grade I could see myself joining such a cause.

It wont really matter if every kid in the nation was properly aware of the risks of head injuries, because each of them would assume it would never happen to them. Also I stand by the idea that no one is making them play. These kids want to play, and the want the attention and fame that comes with playing (we are assuming they are good, but what kid does not enter a sport and at least not think he is ok at it?). We should make the equipment as safe as we can and teach them to protect themselves on the field during practice. We should not change the game.[/quote]But they have changed the game, including the kickoff yard line, repeatedly. They used to kick off from the 35 yard line 25 years ago until 2006, after kicking off from the 40 before that, so really this is just changing it back to how it was 1986-2006.

That’s just my point about the safety equipment too, that was a huge change in the game that’s already happened, and yet you and I and many other people are fine with it now. Do you want it to remain the same as how they played in the 1880’s, 1920’s, 1950’s, 1970’s, or 2000’s? They used to not allow forward passes. And limited substitutions. I can see saying you don’t like this particular change, but the game has already been changing constantly, often for safety reasons.

Paralysis should be made rare due to the rules, even if you’ll never eliminate it entirely. I like the changes in the allowed position of the helmets on tackles for that very reason.

I think there are a lot of parents that make their kids play football through high school, even if the kids would rather not.