NCAA-NBA: 2 years before turning pro?

[QUOTE=gotLutz;312865]Playing a game? What in the world are you talking about? It’s not about “playing a game,” it’s about making an argument, and using valid information to support your argument. DownwithNBA made an argument, and used statistics that covered everyone in the NBA. You called him “off base”, and then you counter his argument by pointing to two individuals. That’s how uneducated people argue. You may be right, but learn how to make an argument for heavens sake.[/QUOTE]

My point is why play the statistics game when there is no need to. This is not an academic setting; there is no need to play around with statistics. Should we run SPSS and determine if the stats are valid?

Any league is going to struggle after losing its greatest star of all time, same thing happened to hockey. There is no need to discuss arrests or level of education, yet that is what was being thrown around by the statistics that were posted. The NBA had a tough time after Jordan and now has found a solid base of superstars to carry the league with a range of education levels and virtually no criminal behavior, the NHL is beginning to do this as well, but is going to have a tougher challenge due to their terrible TV deal.

18 year olds can come in and play at a relatively high level in the NBA and NHL, that is not the case in the NFL or MLB, and there is no reason to take that away from these kids.

The 1 year of college than NBA rule is a great MARKETING ploy, but it has no effect on what type of behavior or image the players in the league are going to have. Adding a second year only takes away the earning potential of these kids, who would never be student athletes in the first place.

Kevin Durant and Greg Oden made themselves extra millions by spending 1 year in college do to the notoriety they gained, but imagine if Oden had to stay 2 year. He would not be getting endorsements right now and would most likely slip in the NBA draft due to his knee injury.

Derrick Rose is a borderline household name now and if he helps win Memphis the National Title and gets MVP of the Final Four what good is another year in college going to do him? Give him an associate’s degree so after basketball he can be a plumber?

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;312915]If they would actually agree to this, as you said it would protect everyone’s interests the best. Baseball does have it right. Too bad they would never agree to such a rule.[/QUOTE] I agree.

I’ve always thought the NBA cut their own throat when they started taking players right out of high school. Basketball fans knew all about the college stars being drafted and could associate with those players in the NBA, but many of them had no idea who the players were when they were drafted out of high school (with some exceptions, of course). My personal opinion is the lack of familiarity of the players is one of the things that has cost the NBA some popularity.

having some sort of degree to declair could backfire - kids would start running through the Jucos just to get an associates

I like the one year idea, or the MLB-type strategy.

It’d be ridiculous to demand players like Lebron, Kobe, Garnett, and even Beasley to stay in college for more than a year. By holding them off for a year or two, they’re preventing that player from making millions of dollars.

However, the rule would benefit a player like Brandon Rush, who needed more time to grow and will probably develop into a good player.

Compare this to say, a virtuoso guitarist who is good enough to make a career out of HS, should the music industry force him to play in college ensembles for one year?

More…

NBA.com: NCAA and NBA to Create Youth Basketball Initiative

NCAA.com: NCAA partners with NBA on youth basketball initiative

SportingNews.com: NBA, NCAA team up to improve U.S. basketball