NCAA rules panel defines area under basket, etc.

[QUOTE=4ever niner;439961]Not putting an actual circle under the basket is beyond stupid, and their excuse is they couldn’t decide the size of the circle? Yet the refs have to decide in a split second whether the “secondary” defender is in the circle or out. I smell a rat here. You all know that sometime this season, refs are going to miss this call and decide wrongly some important game. Wonder which team will get the honor of being screwed first?[/QUOTE]

There was nothing wrong with the way it was. If the guy flops, call a block. Putting that damn arc/circle under the basket just invites people to dry to dunk the ball from further when they should not have the opportunity with the defender already there. Now it’s a foul on the defender for being under the basket already when somebody tries to go through him? When the NBA invades college basketball with its rules, it’s a big problem.

[QUOTE=X-49er;439970]When the NBA invades college basketball with its rules, it’s a big problem.[/QUOTE]I agree. The next thing you know, traveling will be legal.

[QUOTE=X-49er;439970]There was nothing wrong with the way it was. If the guy flops, call a block. Putting that damn arc/circle under the basket just invites people to dry to dunk the ball from further when they should not have the opportunity with the defender already there. Now it’s a foul on the defender for being under the basket already when somebody tries to go through him? .[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, simply being under the basket is not an automatic block. The defensive player must be a “secondary” defender. I think this means if you beat your man, no other player on the defense can slide in under the bucket and draw a charge. So, the area the rule will be enforced in will be unclear, as will the definition of just who is the “primary” defender and the “secondary” defender. You clear on all that? I HOPE I’m off base on this, because if I’m right, it’s going to be a big mess. Worse than the NBA rule.

[QUOTE=4ever niner;439997]As I understand it, simply being under the basket is not an automatic block. The defensive player must be a “secondary” defender. I think this means if you beat your man, no other player on the defense can slide in under the bucket and draw a charge. So, the area the rule will be enforced in will be unclear, as will the definition of just who is the “primary” defender and the “secondary” defender. You clear on all that? I HOPE I’m off base on this, because if I’m right, it’s going to be a big mess. Worse than the NBA rule.[/QUOTE]

No, still not clear. Help defense is not allowed? I don’t want guys undercutting a defender with a clear lane to the basket when it’s obvious a charge can’t be drawn, but if the secondary defender establishes position before the offensive player get there then he should not be called for block. School refs on what is and is not a block/charge instead of making up stupid rules that aren’t needed.

Agreed. This may turn out to be a failed experiment, but we have to live with it for at least a year. Coaches, refs, and fans all are not going to be happy with it.