NCAA Transfer Rules

clt asks why doesn’t johnny football have a starting NFL job?

I’d say if the coach that signed you is fired, then you could transfer without sitting out,
not if he leaves on his own and wants you to follow him.
Other than that, the one year period should stay intact.

[quote=“ninerJ, post:22, topic:31061”]I’d say if the coach that signed you is fired, then you could transfer without sitting out,
Other than that, the one year period should stay intact.[/quote]Agreed, if your coach is terminated, you should be able to leave w/o sitting. Likewise, if a coach doesn’t renew your scholarship, you should be able to play immediately elsewhere.

[quote=“moss2k, post:23, topic:31061”][quote=“ninerJ, post:22, topic:31061”]I’d say if the coach that signed you is fired, then you could transfer without sitting out,
Other than that, the one year period should stay intact.[/quote]Agreed, if your coach is terminated, you should be able to leave w/o sitting. Likewise, if a coach doesn’t renew your scholarship, you should be able to play immediately elsewhere.[/quote]

I am down with those rules.

[quote=“moss2k, post:23, topic:31061”][quote=“ninerJ, post:22, topic:31061”]I’d say if the coach that signed you is fired, then you could transfer without sitting out,
Other than that, the one year period should stay intact.[/quote]Agreed, if your coach is terminated, you should be able to leave w/o sitting. Likewise, if a coach doesn’t renew your scholarship, you should be able to play immediately elsewhere.[/quote]

To play devils advocate what if the coach that is fired had a long tenure. Then, under that scenario, the whole team could leave. I agree with being able to leave if scholarship is terminated.

Are the kids students or athletes? If students, why are they not allowed to transfer just like every other student? If athletes, why are they not treated like any other student who is on scholarship whether it be athletic or academic?

In out case, and I’m sure other schools, I’m afraid fan support, that is already a problem, would become a
must bigger problem.
Human nature…if you don’t put out a good product…no one wants to buy !

[center][/center][quote=“sportsman1417, post:27, topic:31061”]Are the kids students or athletes?[/quote]

They are on ATHLETIC scholarships. Think of those scholarships as a contract.

If they want to be normal students, they can give up their “contract”.

Decided to read the actual NCAA documents in question. The writer at 247 Sports should have read them too!

NCAA.org: DI transfer group seeks membership input

NCAA.org: DI SAAC weighs in on transfer concepts

[quote=“Run49er, post:30, topic:31061”]Decided to read the actual NCAA documents in question. The writer at 247 Sports should have read them too!

NCAA.org: DI transfer group seeks membership input

NCAA.org: DI SAAC weighs in on transfer concepts[/quote]

clt doesn’t read well. Can you explain?

This is going to sound bad but I actually want this to happen.

It will just be interesting to see how this turns out.

The fact you can only transfer once with immediate eligibility AND have to have certain grade point average may mean that it’s not as bad as we think.

Depending on where the bar is set for grades, we may see some shenanigans to keep players in the grade point zone that will keep them eligible but not high enough to allow them immediate transfer.

That GPA level is really key here.

I would love this to happen just to see the impact. Let’s blow it up. It’s not going to make things any worse for us. It’s already not good.

As far as Davis, if he is injury free and makes progress in his game this year we may see him go pro rather than come back for his last year.

[quote=“Gassman, post:32, topic:31061”]This is going to sound bad but I actually want this to happen.

It will just be interesting to see how this turns out.

The fact you can only transfer once with immediate eligibility AND have to have certain grade point average may mean that it’s not as bad as we think.

Depending on where the bar is set for grades, we may see some shenanigans to keep players in the grade point zone that will keep them eligible but not high enough to allow them immediate transfer.

That GPA level is really key here.

I would love this to happen just to see the impact. Let’s blow it up. It’s not going to make things any worse for us. It’s already not good.

As far as Davis, if he is injury free and makes progress in his game this year we may see him go pro rather than come back for his last year.[/quote]GPA is certainly key, haven’t read what this # might be in anything online yet.

If they want to be normal students, they can give up their “contract”.[/quote]
Yeah I am never going to think of a student at a university as being under contract for anything. They are students.

Students other than athletes go under contact to have their education costs covered. For example medical professionals can choose to have their tuition paid in exchange for a term of service in the military. Many companies/government entities will pay for Masters/Doctorate degrees but may require you to pay them back if you do not stay with the company for an agreed upon period if time.

He points out something I had yet to see discussed, the loss of credits during transfer and using that year to catch up.

[quote=“moss2k, post:36, topic:31061”]http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/ncaa-transfer-eligibility-rules-change-basketball-football-division-i/brm0wg1xfaav1hnes5kerskmk

He points out something I had yet to see discussed, the loss of credits during transfer and using that year to catch up.[/quote]

Great read! I was wondering how the transfer of credits would play into this scenario as well.

I hope Jay Bilas gets a hold of this article…

Under contract with employment attached. Not under contract for an education only. For what you are saying to make more sense the athletes that are “under contract” should be allowed to pursue all options to make sure they are getting the best chance at post college employment for what their contract is for (Playing a sport).

If they want to be normal students, they can give up their “contract”.[/quote]
Yeah I am never going to think of a student at a university as being under contract for anything. They are students.[/quote]

Are they?? I mean we have the NCAA just about ready to rule academics don’t matter, we have cost of attendance as a cover to basically pay them and we admit athletes that can’t meet school academic standards.

[quote=“Niner17, post:37, topic:31061”][quote=“moss2k, post:36, topic:31061”]http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/ncaa-transfer-eligibility-rules-change-basketball-football-division-i/brm0wg1xfaav1hnes5kerskmk

He points out something I had yet to see discussed, the loss of credits during transfer and using that year to catch up.[/quote]

Great read! I was wondering how the transfer of credits would play into this scenario as well.

I hope Jay Bilas gets a hold of this article…[/quote]

[size=1em]I use to respect the hell out of Jay…but he has changed.[/size]
[font=verdana][size=1em]Jay Bilas has created a public persona whose main objective is to bash the NCAA on every front. Granted, there are plenty of fronts to bash the NCAA…but the NCAA is a necessary entity to attempt at providing at least somewhat of an enforcement policy to help with balance of power and leveling the playing field in an EXTREMELY corrupt environment.[/size][/font]

But Jay has created his anti-NCAA persona and developed it to a point that he feels he can NEVER agree with anything that comes out of the NCAA side of things. He feels agreeing with them on ANYTHING would diminish his primary argument of treating the athletes like employees without pay.

Like what has happened to our politicians…and why I despise politics, he now has become an extremist on his views. He let’s himself see no compromise when it comes to the NCAA and he continues to double down on his anti-NCAA argument on every issue. It makes him now look petty and to me, he has lost his most admirable trait throughout the years when it comes to being an analyst…his ability to see and promote common sense.

His common sense has long left the building…blinded by his hatred of the NCAA.

He’s basically a sports industry politician…an extremist against the NCAA.

He’s a caricature of what he once was.