NCAA Woman of the Year Award Finalist=Lindsey Ozimek

This lady from Tennessee must have really been something if she was able to beat out Lindsey, who stands out in my mind as being one of the all-time great people I have ever had the privilidge of knowing.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;351248]It was apparently not a tarhole; otherwise, there would have been a front page article about her.[/QUOTE]

Nor would there have been if it had been a Tar Heel.

-more-

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT:
Sunday, October 19, 2008 Jennifer Kearns
Associate Director of Public and
Media Relations
317/917-6117

NCAA SELECTS TENNESSEE BASKETBALL STUDENT-ATHLETE
AS 2008 WOMAN OF THE YEAR

INDIANAPOLIS—Nkolika “Nicky” Anosike, a former basketball
student-athlete at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, is the 2008
NCAA Woman of the Year.
The award – one of the most prestigious the NCAA bestows –
was accepted by her former coach at Tennessee, Pat Summit, and her
mother, Ngozi Anosike. Nicky Anosike could not attend the event
because she is playing professional basketball in Israel during the WNBA
off-season.
The two women accepted the award at the 18th annual NCAA Woman of the Year dinner
tonight, October 19, at the Murat Centre Egyptian Room. The award honors female student-athletes
who have completed their eligibility, demonstrated academic and athletics excellence and engaged in
community service and leadership opportunities.
A committee comprised of representatives from NCAA schools and conferences selected the
top 30 out of 134 conference and independent nominees, 10 from each division. From the 30 honorees,
nine finalists were selected, three from each division. The Committee on Women’s Athletics selected
Anosike from the nine finalists.
NCAA NEWS RELEASE
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Page No. 2

-more-
Anosike, a native of Staten Island, N.Y., is the third NCAA Woman of the Year from the
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and the second basketball student-athlete to be named NCAA
Woman of the Year. She represents the Southeastern Conference (SEC).
A triple major in political science, legal studies and sociology, Anoskie was named to the SEC
Academic Honor Roll four consecutive years. Her academic prowess earned her honors as ESPN the
Magazine Academic All-American, second team and the SEC Boyd McWhorter Postgraduate
Scholarship for Tennessee. She was regularly on the Lady Vol Honor Roll and was on the Dean’s List,
ESPN The Magazine All-District IV, first team and third team and the Thornton Center Honor Roll at
Tennessee.
In addition to excelling in the classroom, Anosike was – and continues to be – an exceptional
performer on the court. She played center/forward for the Lady Vols, who won the NCAA National
Championship in 2007 and 2008. She was a member of one SEC regular-season and three SEC
tournament championship teams and twice led the Lady Vols in blocked shots. She was a member of
two USA under 19 Women’s Basketball World Championship teams and the 2007 Pan-American
team. She was drafted into the WNBA by the Minnesota Lynx, where she started in all 34 games
during the 2008 season and averaged 9.2 points and 6.8 rebounds per game. She is currently playing
basketball in Israel during the WNBA off-season.
Outside of the classroom and the court, Anosike participated in many service and leadership
roles. She served as team captain in 2007-08 and was a member of the campus Student-Athlete
Advisory Committee (SAAC). She volunteered for the East Tennessee Children’s Hospital, Second
Harvest, April Play Day for the local Boys and Girls Clubs, an elementary school career day and the
Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and Lady Vol Fund Run.
NCAA NEWS RELEASE
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Page No. 3

“Leadership through example makes a difference,” Anosike said in her personal statement on
her nomination form. “I have had opportunities to learn this lesson, most recently as I helped lead the
Lady Vols basketball team to its eighth national championship. I was not the superstar; I did the
unglamorous work that wins games and brings success in life. …Some of our most effective leaders
are not in the spotlight, but lead by example through hard work and dedication. This assertion reflects
who I am and what I hope to become.”
Last year’s NCAA Woman of the Year was Whitney Myers, former swimmer at the University
of Arizona. Myers graduated with a degree in science education with an emphasis in biology/pre-
pharmacy. She was the second NCAA Woman of the Year from the University of Arizona and the fifth
swimming student-athlete to be named NCAA Woman of the Year.

-30-

JK:rk

Former winners of the award, established in 1991 (no Tar Heels):

Home > Media & Events > Awards >
NCAA Woman of the Year Logo

Whitney Myers
Former University of Arizona swimmer Whitney Myers reacts to being named the 2007 NCAA Woman of the Year. Myers is the second recipient from Arizona and the fifth swimmer to earn the award.

(Photo by Trevor Brown, NCAA Photos)
2007 Nomination
and Award Process
Staff Contacts
NCAA Woman of the Year Award

The NCAA Woman of the Year Award honors senior student-athletes who have distinguished themselves throughout their collegiate careers in the areas of academic achievement, athletics excellence, service and leadership.

2007 - Whitney Myers
  Swimming, University of Arizona
  Video
  Nine Finalists
  Top 30 Conference and Independent Nominees
  All 128 Conference and Independent Nominees

2006 - Anne Bersagel
  Cross Country/Track, Wake Forest University
  Finalists, Conference Winners, Video

2005 - Lauryn McCalley
  Diving, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
  Finalists, State Winners

2004- Kelly Albin
  Lacrosse, University of California, Davis
  Finalists, State Winners, Video

2003 - Ashley Jo Rowatt
  Swimming and Diving, Kenyon College

2002 - Tanisha Silas
  Track and Field, University of California, Davis
* 2001 - Kimberly A. Black
  Swimming, University of Georgia
  Finalists, State Winners, Photos, Video

* 2000 - Kristy Kowal
  Swimming, University of Georgia
  Finalists, State Winners

* 1999 - Jamila Demby
  Track and Field, University of California, Davis
  Finalists, State Winners

* 1998 - Peggy Boutilier
  Lacrosse and Field Hockey, University of Virginia
  Finalists, State Winners

* 1997 - Lisa Ann Coole
  Swimming and Diving, University of Georgia
  Finalists, State Winners

* 1996 - Billie Winsett-Fletcher
  Volleyball, University of Nebraska
  Finalists, State Winners

* 1995 - Rebecca Lobo
  Basketball, University of Connecticut
  Finalists, State Winners

* 1994 - Tanya Jones
  Track and Field, University of Arizona
  Finalists, State Winners

* 1993 - Nnenna Lynch
  Cross Country and Track and Field, Villanova University
  Finalists, State Winners

* 1992 - Catherine Byrne
  Swimming and Diving, University of Tennessee
  Finalists, State Winners

* 1991 - Mary Beth Riley
  Track and Field, Canisius College
  Finalists, State Winners
Nor would there have been if it had been a Tar Heel.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sort of like you do not do articles on CLOSED SCRIMMAGES? (unless it's a tarhole scrimmage.... then you even bitch because the tarholes lose ticket revenue)

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;351251]Nor would there have been if it had been a Tar Heel.[/QUOTE]I don’t believe that. I even noticed an article in today’s paper about the winner being from UT. I doubt we would have seen an article if a Niner had won.

[QUOTE=Chipper;351297]I don’t believe that. I even noticed an article in today’s paper about the winner being from UT. I doubt we would have seen an article if a Niner had won.[/QUOTE]

An article about Anisike on the front page? That was the assertion, that if it had been a Tar Heel it would have been on the front page.

Seriously, your assertion is insane.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;351308]Seriously, your assertion is insane.[/QUOTE]Mike, I still read your paper and even defend it at times. Don’t chase me away too. I’m finally beginning to understand why so many Niners think the way they do.

[QUOTE=Chipper;351318]Mike, I still read your paper and even defend it at times. Don’t chase me away too. I’m finally beginning to understand why so many Niners think the way they do.[/QUOTE]

Why would you think we wouldn’t do a story – a feel-good story, of which there are entirely too few – on Lindsey had she won? Holy cow. That’d be nuts!

Mike,

Quit wasting our space posting about a Tennesse athlete.

Go to Vol Nation or whatever their message board is called.

Even worse, you are arguing about it here.

Why would you think we wouldn't do a story -- a feel-good story, of which there are entirely too few -- on Lindsey had she won? Holy cow. That'd be nuts!

You say that now that Lindsey did not win.

Way to play it safe.

Mike, you made an allegation there would have been no article if a Niner had won. then you substantiated the statement with this. [QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;351251]Nor would there have been if it had been a Tar Heel.[/QUOTE]

Then you seem to rub it in our face that the UT girl won.

Then you print an article about the UT girl.

Then you state: [QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;351326]Why would you think we wouldn’t do a story – a feel-good story, of which there are entirely too few – on Lindsey had she won? Holy cow. That’d be nuts![/QUOTE]

You’ve changed your story so many times in one thread you’ve lost track of what you’ve said.

Mike, you made an allegation there would have been no article if a Niner had won. then you substantiated the statement with this.

Originally Posted by Mike_Persinger Nor would there have been if it had been a Tar Heel.

Then you state:

Originally Posted by Mike_Persinger Why would you think we wouldn't do a story -- a feel-good story, of which there are entirely too few -- on Lindsey had she won? Holy cow. That'd be nuts!

You’ve changed your story so many times in one thread you’ve lost track of what you’ve said.

Mike, you made an allegation there would have been no article if a Niner had won. then you substantiated the statement with this.

Originally Posted by Mike_Persinger Nor would there have been if it had been a Tar Heel.

Then you state:

Originally Posted by Mike_Persinger Why would you think we wouldn't do a story -- a feel-good story, of which there are entirely too few -- on Lindsey had she won? Holy cow. That'd be nuts!