Need advice on AV setup in conjuction with iPad 2

With a 19-month old and another one on the way in April, 50+ hours of working each week and very little time to sit on the couch, I am finding it more difficult to justify my $100/month DTV bill. In addition to that, 99% of the content we watch is on local TV. I was wondering what your suggestions were for dumping DTV but maintaining some of the features I want to maintain.

Here are my intentions/needs:

I’m looking at getting the Leaf HD antenna so I can pick up my (live) local channels in HD. My location is suitable for this per antennaweb.com and the reviews on this antenna are excellent. I think this will satisfy my local TV fix.

I will be getting an iPad 2 for Christmas (keep this in mind for what I’m asking below)

I already have a Blu Ray player that streams Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, Pandora, etc.

The only thing I really need to be able to do at this point is either record live programming or have the ability to watch episodes online. Based on what I have read, Hulu Plus at just $7.99/month is the best option. Not sure if it makes sense to get a device that will record live shows when most are online anyway, a day later in most cases.

I am thinking about one of the following: Apple TV, Roku 2 XS or the Boxee Box. With an iPad 2 on the horizon, does Apple TV make the most sense? It sounds like between my local antenna, iPad 2 and one of these other devices, I’ll be able to satisfy my needs.

Thoughts?

After some additional research, if you are not an Apple fanboy, why is Apple TV a better option than the Roku 2 XS?

It seems like having Hulu Plus already on the Roku is a big advantage but even if you have Apple TV, what would prevent you from just going directly to hulu online and streaming from there?
Maybe I’m missing something but I’m envisioning using my iPad 2 to access Hulu Plus and stream that directly to my TV via the Apple TV box.

Sounds like I just need to decide between Apple TV and Roku 2 XS. I feel like I am “supposed” to have Apple TV if I own an iPad but I don’t want to make a decision based on the logo. I’m looking for features, ease of use, price, etc.

clt asks “what is an ipad?”

[quote=“jcl49er, post:2, topic:26026”]After some additional research, if you are not an Apple fanboy, why is Apple TV a better option than the Roku 2 XS?

It seems like having Hulu Plus already on the Roku is a big advantage but even if you have Apple TV, what would prevent you from just going directly to hulu online and streaming from there?
Maybe I’m missing something but I’m envisioning using my iPad 2 to access Hulu Plus and stream that directly to my TV via the Apple TV box.

Sounds like I just need to decide between Apple TV and Roku 2 XS. I feel like I am “supposed” to have Apple TV if I own an iPad but I don’t want to make a decision based on the logo. I’m looking for features, ease of use, price, etc.[/quote]The roku is a great device. I bought my parents one for christmas last year and they love it.

[quote=“Niner National, post:4, topic:26026”][quote=“jcl49er, post:2, topic:26026”]After some additional research, if you are not an Apple fanboy, why is Apple TV a better option than the Roku 2 XS?

Sounds like I just need to decide between Apple TV and Roku 2 XS. I feel like I am “supposed” to have Apple TV if I own an iPad but I don’t want to make a decision based on the logo. I’m looking for features, ease of use, price, etc.[/quote]The roku is a great device. I bought my parents one for christmas last year and they love it.[/quote]
I’ve been running pros/cons for the XS vs. the Apple TV and so far, the big pros for the Roku are 1080p and the slew of channels/services (particularly Hulu Plus). But from what I’m reading, I can use Airplay to mirror my iPad2 content directly to my TV via the Apple TV device. If I understand that utility correctly, I can simply access Hulu Plus directly from the internet and stream it from my iPad. Apple TV only does 720p though but not sure that will be a deal breaker. Also sounds like there are some apps/software for Applet TV that will allow you schedule recordings (to a HDD) and send to iTunes.

Sounds like I’m going to want the Apple TV unit simply for the integration with the iPad 2 but the Roku 2 XS would be a no-brainer if not for the iPad.

whatever you do, make sure you have a good wireless signal to the TV/Device, or your resolution concerns will be irrelevent.

I have a rokuHD, but it’s too far from my router to stream to my den. It’s really choppy and low res. I put it upstairs and its smooth and hi res.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:6, topic:26026”]whatever you do, make sure you have a good wireless signal to the TV/Device, or your resolution concerns will be irrelevent.

I have a rokuHD, but it’s too far from my router to stream to my den. It’s really choppy and low res. I put it upstairs and its smooth and hi res.[/quote]
I should be fine there. Just recently bought a nice dual band that has great speed and range. I’ll do a hard wire with that to the Apple TV/Roku and then stream with my iPad/laptop. I’m torn because I really want 1080p and the channels on Roku but I also really want to merry up the iPad with Apple TV for Airplay.

Never used a Roku, but I’ve heard good things about them. I do have an iPad 1 and an Apple tv though. I love my ipad… I sold my laptop and rarely turn on my desktop anymore. The ipad is so convenient because you dont have to boot it up every time and the battery life is great. Great for video, web browsing, email, and casual games. I don’t even use my kindle much anymore because I prefer to read on the iPad.

I only used Hulu+ for one month and that was before I had my Apple TV. However, I’m pretty sure Apple has limited AirPlay on the Hulu app in some form though. You’d have to do some research on it, but I think they only allow lower quality Hulu videos to be streamed from the iPad app to the apple tv. I think apple is afraid of losing tv rentals to Hulu. Netflix is less of a threat to them because most of their streaming library is older stuff. I do love the ATV for Netflix, video podcasts, and YouTube. I wish it had amazon video though. If you like to tinker, you can jailbreak your ATV and get a lot more functionality… Including Hulu, Amazon video, XBMC, IceFilms, etc. without even needing to use the iPad.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they are likely coming out with the iPad 3 (and possibly a new apple TV) around March 2012. With gadgets like this, there is always something new and better right around the corner… Up to you if you want to wait or not, but better to know before you buy. iPad 3 is supposed to have a high res screen and I would imagine the next apple TV will have 1080P.

Right now, the Xbox owns home entertainment. It offers more than any other home entertainment device out there.

You get ESPN, Hulu, Netflix, and as much on-demand video as you want. It also has live TV stations being added to it in the future.

Can’t you only get ESPN on the 360 if you also subscribe to a cable package that has it and your cable provider has an agreement to allow it? I couldn’t get it to work with Time Warner.

Time Warner has ESPN3. Has for over a year now. You just have to sign into your TWC account to view it.

ESPN3 won’t work on xbox live for TWC customers, yet. You can watch highlights, but no live programming yet.

[quote=“J Felt, post:12, topic:26026”]ESPN3 won’t work on xbox live for TWC customers, yet. You can watch highlights, but no live programming yet.[/quote]really? that is shitty.

Opted for the Roku 2 XS when it dropped to $79/free shipping on Amazon.com. Gotta say that it’s pretty freakin’ awesome. I redirected my router from upstairs, directly to my entertainment center so I could run a wired connection. I never tested as wireless but the download time is phenomonal (full movie started in less than 15 seconds) and not as much as a single blip with the playback for the entire film. And it was in 1080p which the Roku handles very well.

After playing around with some stuff, I’m now using Roku primarily for Hulu Plus, Blu Ray for Vudu, The Leaf HD antenna for over 30 local channels with all major networks in HD that is far superior to what DTV provided and laptop/iPad 2 for other web-based content. Sounds like a lot of work but it’s pretty simplistic depending what type of programming we want to watch. Exploring Amazon Prime Rentals as another option since we left Netflix due to the limited choices. Overall, I’m going from $96/month to $7.99/month and haven’t missed anything we were previously watching. We’ll buy the occasional movie but with what little free time we have, I’ll never come close to even spending half of what I did with DTV.

FWIW, I opted against Apple TV primarily because of no 1080p and not being able to stream Hulu Plus without jailbreaking the unit. I know the next one will probably have both features but I was ready to finally be free from overpriced cable/satellite service.