Need Some Career Advice

For everyone who’s already graduated, especially if you’re in the business or government sectors, I’d love to get your opinion on something.

I graduated from Charlotte in 2010 with a B.A. in History and was accepted into gradschool here at Mississippi State. Due to obligations with the Army I was only able to complete 1 semester for my M.A. prior to now (going back in the fall). I’ve had a lot of great, real world experience, with the Army. I met on a weekly basis with tribal elders and government officials and helped them run media campaigns for security and government recruitment. I was also the founder and project manager for a highly successful literacy program where we set up reading programs in small villages. I absolutely loved working what I did.

So now I’m back in the states and facing a crossroads. I want to work for the government or for a business doing marketing or management (wife doesn’t want me going active duty.) Meeting with people and conducting research and advertisements were much more fulfilling than being a TA or student teaching - and I say that with mad respect for all the teachers in the house.

For everyone who works in any of these fields, what would you recommend? I could stay the course and finish my M.A. in History and see what’s out there after that. I have also looked into switching over to masters in Public Policy, Marketing, or MBA. I would have to backtrack and do additional courses to meet the requirements for Marketing or MBA. The army will pay for a graduate degree but won’t cover a second bachelors.

Thanks for the advice in advance guys. We’d like to get back to the Charlotte area, there is nothing in Mississippi.

My career advice, become a gigelow! :stuck_out_tongue:

sounds like you love community development. there are various paths into that.

Getting a Masters in History could pigeonhole you into History professions only. If you really want to get a Masters, go for something you actually want to spend life doing. If you are looking for marketing or management, you really want an MBA. If you are looking at government, figure out what field you would pursue and get a degree in that.

My advice is get a job doing something you want to spend your career on, find what you like most about it, then go back for the Masters in that field. Like Public Policy? Get a government job, find out what field of policy you like most, and specialize in it. Tailor your studies, papers, and thesis to that topic. That is how a Masters helps you advance in your career.

I spent 3 years working on a Masters that doesn’t really help me at work. It was interesting and I learned a lot about a lot of things. Looking back, I wish I pursued something different. Granted, I have switched career paths 3 times since I graduated. But sometimes your first job isn’t what you thought it would be, your second job leads you to something different, and your third job ends up being exactly what you were looking for all along. You can’t always start at that third job. Real world experience is going to get you to that point, then you go back to study specifically what you are interested in, and that will push your career along.

My advice in a few words: Find a job, go back to school later.

[quote=“punkrockcowboy, post:1, topic:27819”]For everyone who’s already graduated, especially if you’re in the business or government sectors, I’d love to get your opinion on something.

I graduated from Charlotte in 2010 with a B.A. in History and was accepted into gradschool here at Mississippi State. Due to obligations with the Army I was only able to complete 1 semester for my M.A. prior to now (going back in the fall). I’ve had a lot of great, real world experience, with the Army. I met on a weekly basis with tribal elders and government officials and helped them run media campaigns for security and government recruitment. I was also the founder and project manager for a highly successful literacy program where we set up reading programs in small villages. I absolutely loved working what I did.

So now I’m back in the states and facing a crossroads. I want to work for the government or for a business doing marketing or management (wife doesn’t want me going active duty.) Meeting with people and conducting research and advertisements were much more fulfilling than being a TA or student teaching - and I say that with mad respect for all the teachers in the house.

For everyone who works in any of these fields, what would you recommend? I could stay the course and finish my M.A. in History and see what’s out there after that. I have also looked into switching over to masters in Public Policy, Marketing, or MBA. I would have to backtrack and do additional courses to meet the requirements for Marketing or MBA. The army will pay for a graduate degree but won’t cover a second bachelors.

Thanks for the advice in advance guys. We’d like to get back to the Charlotte area, there is nothing in Mississippi.[/quote]

First, thanks for your service. Glad you’re back and ok.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but Masters in History will do you absolutely no good unless you want to teach history. From a real world, business perspective it holds no value if you want to work in the private sector. I’m not trying to be a jerk or diminish your degree, just trying to be honest. You’re going to be competing against people with business degrees, MBAs, marketing degrees etc. for jobs. I think an Masters in Public policy is your best bet. It’s the most likely to get you into the type of work you say you enjoy. And it doesn’t require you to backtrack.

Just my opinion based on what I see in the private sector right now. I have resumes on my desk every week of people with masters degrees in fields that have nothing to do with the job they’re applying for. Your practical real world experience should be complimented by the degree you get. That’s why I think public policy is your best option.

Good luck.

whatever you do, dont go to law school.

I am going to back Noreaster 100%. Go get a job and find the field you want to be in. The first 7 years of work after I graduated was jumping from one area to another until I found my calling and my passion. I had started work on my MBA in the late 90s and quit when I wasn’t convinced that is what I wanted. I am very thankful I quit. I am now working on my Masters of Science in Training and Development. No way would have I looked for a masters in that field after I graduated - but once I found the professional Learning and Development field I knew exactly where I belonged. Rather than get an education adn then force yourself into the field, find the field and then get the education that will enable you to maximize your skills and earning potential.

The Normbulance isn’t his calling and passion??? ^

Consider the “veil of ignorance” even if you don’t choose studying history.

[quote=“anipalcraig, post:8, topic:27819”]The Normbulance isn’t his calling and passion??? ^

Consider the “veil of ignorance” even if you don’t choose studying history.[/quote]

Sadly The Normbulance is more of a money sucker than a money creator. 8mpg can do that!

clt recommends an MPA.

Thanks for the advice guys. This is what I wanted to hear, real talk from people who are out there now and in the know. I’m going to talk to the career center on Tuesday and get some advice/then look for some type of internship. Then I’ll probably talk to some other departments about switching over based off how things go.

Job, I hope law school is going well for you and you’re not saying that 'cuz it’s different from what you thought it would be.

[quote=“punkrockcowboy, post:11, topic:27819”]Thanks for the advice guys. This is what I wanted to hear, real talk from people who are out there now and in the know. I’m going to talk to the career center on Tuesday and get some advice/then look for some type of internship. Then I’ll probably talk to some other departments about switching over based off how things go.

Job, I hope law school is going well for you and you’re not saying that 'cuz it’s different from what you thought it would be.[/quote]probably has more to do with the fact that the unemployment for new law school graduates is like 50%.

[quote=“Niner National, post:12, topic:27819”][quote=“punkrockcowboy, post:11, topic:27819”]Thanks for the advice guys. This is what I wanted to hear, real talk from people who are out there now and in the know. I’m going to talk to the career center on Tuesday and get some advice/then look for some type of internship. Then I’ll probably talk to some other departments about switching over based off how things go.

Job, I hope law school is going well for you and you’re not saying that 'cuz it’s different from what you thought it would be.[/quote]probably has more to do with the fact that the unemployment for new law school graduates is like 50%.[/quote]

Yeah, N_N is right. I love everything about law school, and my job prospects are pretty solid because I’m in the top 2% of my class, but about 2/3 of the people I’m going to graduate with are going to struggle to find work, mostly because the market for lawyers (especially in Jax, Fl) is so saturated.

[quote=“punkrockcowboy, post:1, topic:27819”]For everyone who’s already graduated, especially if you’re in the business or government sectors, I’d love to get your opinion on something.

Thanks for the advice in advance guys. We’d like to get back to the Charlotte area, there is nothing in Mississippi.[/quote]
With your experience, have you considered a career with the State Department?

I have looked into it. I worked with the state department overseas, did a lot of meetings with one of their representatives. My aunt and uncle also work for the state department. I’ve got a security clearance, but I’m currently working on getting my TS. My uncle said that was one of the most important qualifications.