New BCS format

Brett McMurphy - ESPN

[ul][li][font=verdana][size=13px]Six Bowls only[/size][/font][/li][/ul]

[ul][li][font=verdana][font=Verdana][size=13px]ACC/SEC/B1G/XII/PAC to split equal shares of revenue[/size][/font][/font][/li][/ul]

[ul][li][font=verdana][font=Verdana][size=13px]Highest-ranked champ of BE/CUSA/MAC/MWC/SBC to get autobid to access bowl if not in playoff[/size][/font][/font][/li][/ul]

[ul][li][font=verdana][font=Verdana][size=13px]Top 25 rankings all the way back to 1998 used to divide haves from have-nots in terms of revenue distribution[/size][/font][/font][/li][/ul]

[ul][li][font=verdana][font=Verdana][size=13px]Orange Bowl will NOT get B1G/SEC champ if Rose/Sugar host semifinal - champ will go to other access bowl[/size][/font][/font][/li][/ul]

[ul][li][font=verdana][font=Verdana][size=13px]Teams with subpar APR will not get a full BCS revenue share[/size][/font][/font][/li][/ul]

[ul][li][font=verdana][font=Verdana][size=13px]Additional revenue for each team in a BCS game[/size][/font][/font][/li][/ul]

If this hold up its good for CUSA (us) and bad for the Big East.

I hope that there is some mechanism for reevaluation for inclusion in the “Power 5” over the next 10 years. That way, the “Group of 5” conferences could move up and the “Power 5” could move down based on performance over the next 10 years. That would make things quite interesting.

That BE falling apart bit just got closer to reality. Absolutely no reason for SDSU and Boise to stay now. Question is does the BE try to plug more football holes or finally just become a basketball only league. Either way there is an opening there to either move to the BE and join them or take the BE cast offs and rebuild the eastern side of the conference into something that is a hybrid of CUSA 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.

That BE falling apart bit just got closer to reality. Absolutely no reason for SDSU and Boise to stay now. Question is does the BE try to plug more football holes or finally just become a basketball only league. Either way there is an opening there to either move to the BE and join them or take the BE cast offs and rebuild the eastern side of the conference into something that is a hybrid of CUSA 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.[/quote]

The only reason I can see for them to stay is if they think being in the BE gives them the better shot of nabbing a spot. Does playing Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, etc., give them a better shot at the playoffs, even if not guaranteed, than playing in one of the other Group of 5 conferences?

That BE falling apart bit just got closer to reality. Absolutely no reason for SDSU and Boise to stay now. Question is does the BE try to plug more football holes or finally just become a basketball only league. Either way there is an opening there to either move to the BE and join them or take the BE cast offs and rebuild the eastern side of the conference into something that is a hybrid of CUSA 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.[/quote]

The only reason I can see for them to stay is if they think being in the BE gives them the better shot of nabbing a spot. Does playing Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, etc., give them a better shot at the playoffs, even if not guaranteed, than playing in one of the other Group of 5 conferences?[/quote]

True and that assumes that L’ville sticks around. SDSU and BSU have to look at travel costs and decide if the advantage for football is still worth it. When the BE had a path in I still think it was crazy but understandable, remove that pathway and now it just seems like a bad idea all around. Best case in my mind is to allow the BE football schools, CUSA and Mountain West folks create one massive conference with divisions and a championship. That winner would have a solid case to take a spot.

What is the exemption for Notre Dame I’m sure there is something in there for them to be included.

My assumption would be a tie-in with the ACC, but I don’t know that.

Because ND thinks they’re Jesus’ favorite team. That’s there exemption.

The other BCS schools can keep Notre Dame out of the BCS if they want to and force them to join a conference. I don’t know why they continue to enable them to be an independent with all of the perks of a conference member. It’s real simple: band together and don’t schedule them. If the Big 5 conferences refuse to play them, they’ll be stuck playing lesser teams and will not get any boost from their schedule. Instead, everyone lines up to schedule them and thus further enables them to do what they please. As fans we hate it, but the ones who could stop them just continue to cater to their every want.

$$$$ ND holds the cards in this little game. Other teams WILL schedule ND due to $$$ to be made when ND visits town. They won’t refuse to play them.

$$$$ ND holds the cards in this little game. Other teams WILL schedule ND due to $$$ to be made when ND visits town. They won’t refuse to play them.[/quote]

I agree with X on this. If everybody refused to play them then they(ND) wouldn’t have the $$$, putting the $$$ back in the hands of the other programs. ie: ND wouldn’t be BCS eligible.

$$$$ ND holds the cards in this little game. Other teams WILL schedule ND due to $$$ to be made when ND visits town. They won’t refuse to play them.[/quote]

I agree with X on this. If everybody refused to play them then they(ND) wouldn’t have the $$$, putting the $$$ back in the hands of the other programs. ie: ND wouldn’t be BCS eligible.[/quote]
Everyone agreeing to NOT play ND is like me getting a date with a Victoria’s Secret model. Sounds great, but ain’t’ no way in hell that is happening

I agree with X on this. If everybody refused to play them then they(ND) wouldn’t have the $$$, putting the $$$ back in the hands of the other programs. ie: ND wouldn’t be BCS eligible.[/quote]
Everyone agreeing to NOT play ND is like me getting a date with a Victoria’s Secret model. Sounds great, but ain’t’ no way in hell that is happening[/quote]

If the conferences and their members took the time to examine how much money Notre Dame will be costing them when they take a BCS bid, then that light might come on. Notre Dame hasn’t been in contention for a while, but this year they are. Instead of them having to share their BCS money with a conference, they pocket all of it and one of the Big 5 conferences or the other conferences lose that spot and all of the money that comes with it. A one loss Notre Dame team will get the nod over a one-loss Oregon/KState/Georgia/Florida team for a BCS spot given their “media darling” status.

So, tell me again why ECU has such a hard on to join a league that is now basically just like CUSA?

Money, the Big East will most likely have a better TV contract than CUSA.

Money, the Big East will most likely have a better TV contract than CUSA.[/quote]

And the same reason we want to get there - better programs with which they have more history.

[quote=“VA49er, post:15, topic:27105”]So, tell me again why ECU has such a hard on to join a league that is now basically just like CUSA?[/quote]BE is basically the old CUSA and the old CUSA > New CUSA.

If we get invited to the Big East at any point I’ll be very happy. I don’t count on that happening any time soon though.

I think we’ll be in CUSA for 10+ years minimum, so right now I’m rooting for the teams in our future conference to make all the right moves to position themselves to be competitive.

I want CUSA current teams to learn to win like the old CUSA teams, but that ain’t happening in B-Ball.

That includes us!!