New Coach Criteria

One thing that has yet to be discussed, is what will be the criteria for the new coach? We’ve tossed around assistant vs. head coach, but what other framework will be involved? I’d imagine if you were searching, similar to buying a new car or house, there would be certain features that you couldn’t live without, certain features you’d prefer, but can give and take on, and certain features that you may end up with, but are superflous and not really on your radar beyond a fantasy. I’m curious if Judy has taken this type of approach yet and what her criteria might be.

Here’s Mine:

[Required] [Preferred] [Wishlist]

Head Coaching Experience: Required
Division I Coaching Experience: Preferred
Proven Success: Required
Respective Tournament Entrance: Required
Respective Tournament Single Game Win: Required [If below D-I] Preferred [If D-1]
Substantial NCAA Success: Wishlist
Charasmatic: Strongly Preferred
Proven ability to win close games: Required
Southeastern Recruiting Ties: Preferred
Proven Player Development: Required
Proven Top Notch Recruiting: Preferred
Nationally Known Name: Wishlist
Former College Basketball Player: Wishlist
NBA Ties: Wishlist
Wears Suits to Games: Preferred
Knows what Niner Green is: Required
Alumni: Wishlist [Only for a perfect candidate for me, but some strongly prefer]
Not a Tar Heel: Wishlist
Young: Preferred
Good Fundraiser / Community Partner: Preferred

Well, that’s my list. I’d be interested to see anyone elses.

In Summary, if it were me, my coach would have at a minimum Head Coaching Experience having sustained proven success including making his respective NCAA level tournament, with a minimum of some tournament wins if a non D-I coach, who has a proven ability to win close games, proven player development, and knows what Niner Green is; (Major joke bc of his awful green striped tie)

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:1, topic:29470”]One thing that has yet to be discussed, is what will be the criteria for the new coach? We’ve tossed around assistant vs. head coach, but what other framework will be involved? I’d imagine if you were searching, similar to buying a new car or house, there would be certain features that you couldn’t live without, certain features you’d prefer, but can give and take on, and certain features that you may end up with, but are superflous and not really on your radar beyond a fantasy. I’m curious if Judy has taken this type of approach yet and what her criteria might be.

Here’s Mine:

[Required] [Preferred] [Wishlist]

Head Coaching Experience: Required
Division I Coaching Experience: Preferred
Proven Success: Required
Respective Tournament Entrance: Required
Respective Tournament Single Game Win: Required [If below D-I] Preferred [If D-1]
Substantial NCAA Success: Wishlist
Charasmatic: Strongly Preferred
Proven ability to win close games: Required
Southeastern Recruiting Ties: Preferred
Proven Player Development: Required
Proven Top Notch Recruiting: Preferred
Nationally Known Name: Wishlist
Former College Basketball Player: Wishlist
NBA Ties: Wishlist
Wears Suits to Games: Preferred
Knows what Niner Green is: Required
Alumni: Wishlist [Only for a perfect candidate for me, but some strongly prefer]
Not a Tar Heel: Wishlist
Young: Preferred
Good Fundraiser / Community Partner: Preferred

Well, that’s my list. I’d be interested to see anyone elses.

In Summary, if it were me, my coach would have at a minimum Head Coaching Experience having sustained proven success including making his respective NCAA level tournament, with a minimum of some tournament wins if a non D-I coach, who has a proven ability to win close games, proven player development, and knows what Niner Green is; (Major joke bc of his awful green striped tie)[/quote]

I would also add that they have a track record of developing good young men off the court, and has a STRONG attention to detail.

here is my list:
proven recent success as a head coach
good recruiter
at least somewhat charismatic
not a tar heel
a somewhat recognizable name
ability to retain current talent
knows how to assemble a good staff
under the age of 50
can relate to the kids(flexible on this)
can develop players
defensive minded coach(seriously this time)
southeastern ties in recruiting.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:3, topic:29470”]here is my list:
proven recent success as a head coach
good recruiter
at least somewhat charismatic
not a tar heel
a somewhat recognizable name
ability to retain current talent
knows how to assemble a good staff
under the age of 50
can relate to the kids(flexible on this)
can develop players
defensive minded coach(seriously this time)
southeastern ties in recruiting.[/quote]

I know this really only eliminates Scott Cherry or Doh… but I really couldn’t give less of a crap where the next coach went to school as long as they win… Hell, if our guy is a Univ of ISIS alum and we go to the sweet 16 zero F’s will be given by me.

Yeah the only way that would matter to me is if he was caught up in any of the stink that they are going to get blasted for. Wouldnt want collateral damage on our end.

But that’s an unlikely scenario. They will have trouble replacing Dadgum Cheatin’ Roy when he leaves. They have very few worthwhile candidates left in the tree.

I really don;t think Cherry is what I want and as for Doh… nope…

I’m not ready to cross off guys due to their misguided upbringing. That would be shitty of me.

You’ve grown so much as a person.

clt wants a coach who will win.