new hybrid auto advice

i’m about to have to consider a new car. i’ll keep my truck for hauling 2 x 4s, plywood, light trailers, etc. so i’m looking for something to use on a daily basis and on occasional trips of up to, say 500 miles. what are your thoughts? thanks in advance!

Go with a motorcycle - the performance of a super car, the MPG of the best hybrid and chics dig it :slight_smile:

[quote=“earlyniner, post:1, topic:26327”]i’m about to have to consider a new car. i’ll keep my truck for hauling 2 x 4s, plywood, light trailers, etc. so i’m looking for something to use on a daily basis and on occasional trips of up to, say 500 miles. what are your thoughts? thanks in advance![/quote]check out the prius c. Great mileage and starts at 19000. Not sure if they’re on the market yet or not though.
I have a civic hybrid and my girlfriend has a prius. Hers gets about 10 more miles per gallon than mine and it has a lot more mileage. Toyota has also never had to replace a single battery pack on a Gen 2 model or later. Honda gas had some problems with their battery packs.

The Toyota hybrid tech is superior to all others.

[quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:26327”][quote=“earlyniner, post:1, topic:26327”]i’m about to have to consider a new car. i’ll keep my truck for hauling 2 x 4s, plywood, light trailers, etc. so i’m looking for something to use on a daily basis and on occasional trips of up to, say 500 miles. what are your thoughts? thanks in advance![/quote]check out the prius c.

The Toyota hybrid tech is superior to all others.[/quote]

Stan Marsh - The Hybrid Song (with Lyrics)

An E320 gets great gas mileage as well.

If you have to buy right now: Camry Hyrbid. It’s a really nice car if optioned out, and gets excellent MPG. You also wont look like a dork and can actually haul 5 adults around in it.

If you can wait a bit, I’d give serious consideration to the 2013 (not the 2012) Ford Fusion Hybrid. It is a very nice looking car with good power and proposed 47 mpg.

clt says get a diesel jetta. great gas mileage and you won’t look like a dork.

Unless the Jetta is from the early 90s… you would look like a dork. New VWs… blergh.

If you aren’t stuck on getting a hybrid, check out the new Mazda 3 that gets 40 mpg.

2012 Passat TDI is another option. Also a very nice car, but VW reliability is subjective, and it’s very very expensive.

Depends. The tech is still new, but an emerging mega trend in the automotive industry is more fuel efficient gasoline engines. A lot of new fuel efficient machines coming out. Cheaper, easier to maintain, and currently much less of a resource drain (if that matters to you). You’ll get competitive MPG for daily driving and you’ll save money on the front end, and most likely the long run.

At the end of the day its going to be what you really want. If you are set on a hybrid, I’d follow NinerNational’s advice. The Honda Insight is a mishmash of ideas and while it ‘works’ it doesn’t impress in anything specific. The Prius has it right and is probably your best bet for hybrid tech and innovation. Its also one of the few cars designed specifically to be a hybrid.

If your a Ford guy, the Fusion Energi looks pretty impressive. It’s a plug in hybrid that is supposed to rival the Prius plug in hybrid. Looks wise, its a clear winner and so far the hype has been its going to be the most fuel efficient car in the world. Unlike the Chevy Volt, Ford actually knows what they are doing with this one.

There is also the new Tesla coming out and if Fisker ever gets their s*** together, they will also have an electric car coming out. Blahaha, ok I’m kidding, don’t look at those.

Edit: Are you dead set on Hybrid btw?

[quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:4, topic:26327”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:26327”][quote=“earlyniner, post:1, topic:26327”]i’m about to have to consider a new car. i’ll keep my truck for hauling 2 x 4s, plywood, light trailers, etc. so i’m looking for something to use on a daily basis and on occasional trips of up to, say 500 miles. what are your thoughts? thanks in advance![/quote]check out the prius c.

The Toyota hybrid tech is superior to all others.[/quote]

Stan Marsh - The Hybrid Song (with Lyrics)

An E320 gets great gas mileage as well.[/quote]The Prius C is not a plug in so it does not require you to charge with electricity. It is just a smaller compact sized Prius.

Prius’s are fairly easy to upgrade to turn into plug in hybrids though. I worked with a guy that converted his 05 Prius into a plug-in and he gets 150 miles per gallon. :o

clt says that honda & toyota make appliances. if that is what you want, go for it.

thanks all. got to thinking about the dork thing and bought a slightly used nash rambler today. :))

the prius sounds pretty good. but i’m not locked in yet.

This:

Or this:

Just trying to help you out.

great!!! good stuff! i like!
now just help me come up with something to tell my wife.

[quote=“earlyniner, post:14, topic:26327”]great!!! good stuff! i like!
now just help me come up with something to tell my wife.[/quote]

Well tell her the blonde costs extra money and you find her unnecessary. Stress the mpg value (my touring bike gets 62 MPG on the highway), it won’t take up much room in driveway/garage, it saves room on the highway and is aiding in lessening congestion of roads, saves roads from having to be resurfaced as often, performance improvements over a car allows you safety maneuvers to avoid accidents (my big bike 0-60 in under 4 sec, that is supercar territory), you can ride in HOV lanes, entry into an exclusive club of motorcycle riders comes at no extra costs and she gets to be married to the cool guy that rides a bike.

no! no! no! you misunderstood… it was the blond i thought was good stuff!

LOL well damn - if you find a way to get your wife ok with the blonde let me know because I’d like to try it with my wife.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:13, topic:26327”]This:

Or this:

Just trying to help you out.[/quote]

[quote=“Niner National, post:18, topic:26327”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:13, topic:26327”]This:

Or this:

Just trying to help you out.[/quote][/quote]

LOL Photoshop is a wonderful thing.

the sweetest meat is close to the bone!