News 14 Lutz interview

I only saw him play a few times; but I think spears is more Larry Johnson than demarco johnson or Jarvis Lang. Any comments on whom he compares to ?
I think you may be correct. We'll know in about 4 months.

[QUOTE=919R;419553]Actually I would say he seems very similar to JL.[/QUOTE]

You’re right, but he was an assistant and it was Melvin’s system. I dont remember anyone ever complaining about too many 3’s being shot on melvins teams.

You're right, but he was an assistant and it was Melvin's system. I dont remember anyone ever complaining about too many 3's being shot on melvins teams.

NOt trying to be a smart a$$, but anyone who was around during “Melvin’s” 2 years knows Lutz was running the schemes/gameplans. Melvin, didn’t/doesn’t HAVE A SYSTEM. As for no complaining, it was BECAUSE we had the inside scoring to make that unnecessary, but even so we still shot a good bit of 3s during his 2 years as well. Sean Colson, Diego, etc.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;419576]I think you may be correct. We’ll know in about 4 months.[/QUOTE]

I’ll take any of the 3 mentioned and be thrilled (Jarvis, Demarco or Larry Johnson)

[QUOTE=919R;419617]NOt trying to be a smart a$$, but anyone who was around during “Melvin’s” 2 years knows Lutz was running the schemes/gameplans. Melvin, didn’t/doesn’t HAVE A SYSTEM. As for no complaining, it was BECAUSE we had the inside scoring to make that unnecessary, but even so we still shot a good bit of 3s during his 2 years as well. Sean Colson, Diego, etc.[/QUOTE]

Well, I’m ‘anyone who was around’ and I never heard that Melvin didnt have a system before. Thats news to me. We seemed to be a more methodical, slower paced, even defensive team under Melvin. And I think Lutz’ teams have been quite different.

[QUOTE=Iron9er;419626]Well, I’m ‘anyone who was around’ and I never heard that Melvin didnt have a system before. Thats news to me. We seemed to be a more methodical, slower paced, even defensive team under Melvin. And I think Lutz’ teams have been quite different.[/QUOTE]

Iron, there were comments from all over the league, reporters, opposing coaches, Bob Huggins, about how Lutz ran the X’s and O’s on those teams. Huggins had some quote you can probably find about it.

Melvin was more COO, and Bobby was the O & D coordinator.

The point is, having a reliable inside scorer is like having a good running game in football. It opens up so many options (we’ve been the equivalent of a pass heavy team for years).

Now, whether or not this alleged inside game pans out remains to be seen.

Iron, there were comments from all over the league, reporters, opposing coaches, Bob Huggins, about how Lutz ran the X's and O's on those teams. Huggins had some quote you can probably find about it.

The point is, having a reliable inside scorer is like having a good running game in football. It opens up so many options (we’ve been the equivalent of a pass heavy team for years).

talent is everything

whats the x/o with Demarco or Rodney? Give him the ball and he has 20 moves

whats the x/o with Coley or Jones? …crickets

for too long we have not had real options/talent/hoops iq

Iron, there were comments from all over the league, reporters, opposing coaches, Bob Huggins, about how Lutz ran the X's and O's on those teams. Huggins had some quote you can probably find about it.

Thank you----you said that lot better!:biggrin:

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;419650]
Now, whether or not this alleged inside game pans out remains to be seen.[/QUOTE]

Yep. We had Withers on the inside and I still remember him taking 3 pointers.

[QUOTE=VA49er;419686]Yep. We had Withers on the inside and I still remember him taking 3 pointers.[/QUOTE]

Withers wasnt a post player. He had bad hands and couldn’t play with his back to the basket. He was a wonderful garbage man, a decent shooter, and a pretty exciting athlete (in spurts).

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;419690]Withers wasnt a post player. He had bad hands and couldn’t play with his back to the basket. He was a wonderful garbage man, a decent shooter, and a pretty exciting athlete (in spurts).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but when he did get inside not many people could stop him. I remember many on here wondering why we didn’t pound the ball inside with Withers. I think during his last season Lutz maybe gave him the green light to shoot more from outside to maybe impress some scouts?

Regardless of who was calling the plays etc I saw a philosophical difference in the way Mullins, Watkins, and Lutz’ teams played. If you think its all personnel driven, thats an argument you can make. I guess we’ll see this year.

Spears took absolutely zero 3’s in 2 years at BC, and yet we all believe he will put up his share here. Why is that? Its not that the personnel (Spears) is different, its because the coach is. Lutz has talked about his love for the 3 point shot and what an equalizer it is.

Again, we’ll see. I’d applaud us going inside more. But, after years of watching, I’m not going to get our hopes up for a change of style.

[QUOTE=Iron9er;419701]Regardless of who was calling the plays etc I saw a philosophical difference in the way Mullins, Watkins, and Lutz’ teams played. If you think its all personnel driven, thats an argument you can make. I guess we’ll see this year.

Spears took absolutely zero 3’s in 2 years at BC, and yet we all believe he will put up his share here. Why is that? Its not that the personnel (Spears) is different, its because the coach is. Lutz has talked about his love for the 3 point shot and what an equalizer it is.

Again, we’ll see. I’d applaud us going inside more. But, after years of watching, I’m not going to get our hopes up for a change of style.[/QUOTE]

So basically, the glass is always half full.

I’ll believe it when I see it as well, but I am least willing to entertain the possibility. If you’re that bitter, why bother?

[QUOTE=VA49er;419696]Yeah, but when he did get inside not many people could stop him. I remember many on here wondering why we didn’t pound the ball inside with Withers. [/QUOTE]

I remember force feeding Withers in the NCSU tournament game. I think he might have set a record for turnovers.

I hate ripping on a former player, especially a guy like CW, but c’mon. Unstoppable? He couldn’t even handle the feed pass.

He was a ferocious rebounder though, and some of his drives and dunks were legendary. He was a big, strong, agile, face the basket 3/4, with a decent, but not good handle, and bad hands in the post.

Yep. We had Withers on the inside and I still remember him taking 3 pointers.

not many though—especially before his sr. year. Even then, maybe what 1-2/game from him, average?

[QUOTE=919R;419708]not many though—especially before his sr. year. Even then, maybe what 1-2/game from him, average?[/QUOTE]

He started stepping out more his junior year. I understand he was trying to showcase his range, but he was much better cleaning the glass on the missed three pointers. Having Iti in the paint did allow him to step out for the three more freely though.

He started stepping out more his junior year. I understand he was trying to showcase his range, but he was much better cleaning the glass on the missed three pointers. Having Iti in the paint did allow him to step out for the three more freely though.

I don’t recall him doing it THAT much his junior season and I know he increased it his last year and still couldn’t have averaged more than 2/game, unless my memory is REALLY failing.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;419707]So basically, the glass is always half full.

I’ll believe it when I see it as well, but I am least willing to entertain the possibility. If you’re that bitter, why bother?

[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure where I was bitter? Just stating that Lutz has a very major preference for the 3 in his offense. Its really not something that we all dont already know. Will we have a better mix this season? I hope so. Are there going to be games where we go for a bad 3 to end the game instead of throwing it inside? Probably. Will I still attend and cheer and bother myself with it? Yes, because I’m a fan of our university.

[QUOTE=919R;419714]I don’t recall him doing it THAT much his junior season and I know he increased it his last year and still couldn’t have averaged more than 2/game, unless my memory is REALLY failing.[/QUOTE]

you’re not wrong.

[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=12143&year=2006]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=12143&year=2006[/URL]

GP: 32
3PA: 60
3PA/GP: 1.875

Throw out that Wyoming game where he took 9 (and made 4), and he never took more than 4 per game, and took 2 or less most nights.

(Oh and before someone else brings it up - he was in a 1 for 11 slump in march, which killed an otherwise decent shooting %. He basically took just enough of these to keep his defender honest).

I remember force feeding Withers in the NCSU tournament game. I think he might have set a record for turnovers.

I hate ripping on a former player, especially a guy like CW, but c’mon. Unstoppable? He couldn’t even handle the feed pass.

He was a ferocious rebounder though, and some of his drives and dunks were legendary. He was a big, strong, agile, face the basket 3/4, with a decent, but not good handle, and bad hands in the post.

I hear that Chris Braswell can catch even the most difficult pass and that he’s a very good ball handler as well. If he’s as “ferocious” of a rebounder and has the post moves he’s going to be all conference in due time.

[QUOTE=919R;419714]I don’t recall him doing it THAT much his junior season and I know he increased it his last year and still couldn’t have averaged more than 2/game, unless my memory is REALLY failing.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think he did it a lot, I just think that it started his junior year. I don’t really remember him shooting them at all before that year.