News 14: U of Charlotte?

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Story Link[/COLOR]

I saw where JFelt mentioned it in another thread, but thought it was worth it’s own thread. I didn’t see that post until after I saw the news this morning. It was cool to hear them cover the story. This is how the football push started… I saw JFelt in the video.

The Board of Governors office says a name change of this type is unprecedented, and not a priority if it reaches the General Assembly. A spokesperson for the board said the proposal would require unanimous approval from university leaders to even be considered by the state.

There is a video on that link as well.

Does this Darren Morehead post here?

[QUOTE]“[UNC Chapel Hill] is getting a lot of recognition for things we have been doing lately, well not just lately, for the last 5-10 years,” said Moorehead. “We need to change our name to the University of Charlotte because we need to begin building our own identity.”[/QUOTE]

Haha…the video of me is where I was spouting off examples of confusion with Chapel Hill. I was a little riled up. :stuck_out_tongue:

clt says great work students!!!

[QUOTE=metro;288162]Does this Darren Morehead post here?[/QUOTE]

What about the chick that said she “doesn’t see the validity in it”? What does her stance on other issues tend to be? Was Crap Hole Hill her first choice for school?

[QUOTE=J Felt;288164]Haha…the video of me is where I was spouting off examples of confusion with Chapel Hill. I was a little riled up. :-P[/QUOTE]

Was that before or after the girl said “I don’t really see any benefit to to a name change” ??? Someone needs to make her read through the entire name confusion thread.

Didn’t UNCP change their name a few years back? They wanted the UNC association if I remember correctly. Am I at least on the right track with this or did I make it up?

Point is, if they did change it, it wouldn’t be so “unprecedented”

[QUOTE=spartyniner;288171]Didn’t UNCP change their name a few years back? They wanted the UNC association if I remember correctly. Am I at least on the right track with this or did I make it up?

Point is, if they did change it, it wouldn’t be so “unprecedented”[/QUOTE]

You are correct Sparty. We should have told them we would sell them the ‘UNC’ in ours… :biggrin:

the blond from News 14 doing our name change story, Heather Childers is a UNCC alum, is off the chain hot in person. She is the one who interviewed us about my daughter.

[URL]http://news14.com/Video/BuildASX.ashx?vids=20696[/URL]

[QUOTE=spartyniner;288171]Didn’t UNCP change their name a few years back? They wanted the UNC association if I remember correctly. Am I at least on the right track with this or did I make it up?

Point is, if they did change it, it wouldn’t be so “unprecedented”[/QUOTE]
True… once upon a time, we wanted that connection too.

[URL=http://news14.com/content/top_stories/592143/students-ask--university-of-charlotte-/Default.aspx][B][U][COLOR=DarkGreen]Story Link[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

I saw where JFelt mentioned it in another thread, but thought it was worth it’s own thread. I didn’t see that post until after I saw the news this morning. It was cool to hear them cover the story. This is how the football push started… I saw JFelt in the video.

There is a video on that link as well.

The Board of Governors office says a name change of this type is unprecedented, and not a priority if it reaches the General Assembly. A spokesperson for the board said the proposal would require unanimous approval from university leaders to even be considered by the state.

So, does that mean it’s time to send emails to the Board of Governors? For the life of me I don’t understand how an external governing body, without any affiliation to the university, can tell you what they think is best for you.

What about the chick that said she "doesn't see the validity in it"? What does her stance on other issues tend to be? Was Crap Hole Hill her first choice for school?

I think [SIZE=6]Hillary Turner [/SIZE]just got called out

she disgusts me

[QUOTE]
If a change was made to something such as the University of Charlotte, that would be the fourth name change in the school’s existence. It’s a long process of approval that would move through SGA to the trustees of the university, followed by the Board of Governors and the General Assembly, who has the final say.

[/QUOTE]

For clarification, I’m curious why the name change is considered unprecedented.

Why does the UNC System Board of Governors or NC General Assembly even have a say? Each of the 16 UNC Campuses should be able to decide their own name.
Personally I think UNCP was stupid to change from PSU. Pembroke State had an identity. It was “the” school of the Lumbee. Now it’s just another cog in the corporate machinery of UNC-CH.

I wonder if Pat McCrory will keep his stance on our name change if he is elected governor?? If I remember correctly, he was in favor of a name change. How much influence would he have over the UNC system if elected governor??

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;288182]I wonder if Pat McCrory will keep his stance on our name change if he is elected governor?? If I remember correctly, he was in favor of a name change. How much influence would he have over the UNC system if elected governor??[/QUOTE]

clt asks if he could replace erskine with…drum roll…malik el tamir

I wonder if Pat McCrory will keep his stance on our name change if he is elected governor?? If I remember correctly, he was in favor of a name change. How much influence would he have over the UNC system if elected governor??

If McCrory does win it could be good timing for UNC Charlotte. And even though Bowles is a UNC CH guy, he is also a Charlotte banker. It could be great to have both of those guys in those positions at the same time.

I think McCrory & Bowles would screw us over to solidify their own power.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;288166]What about the chick that said she “doesn’t see the validity in it”? What does her stance on other issues tend to be? Was Crap Hole Hill her first choice for school?[/QUOTE]

As you can tell by my “posts” count, I don’t post that often. However, I am very passionate about this topic and need to bring up a very crucial point that I brought up on this board a few years ago. Advocates of the name change must anticipate objections like this young woman has. She probably knows how she feels, but has she thought it through? The only way I know to effectively prepare for these objections is to craft a carefully worded “position paper” that is much more in-depth than a resolution. I cannot emphasize enough that this must be done in order for a campaign for the name change to be successful. As I have said before, a resolution like this will fall flat on its face without one. Maybe this is the job of the committee that the SGA wants to set up. A position paper like this should cover problems with our university name that have arisen in the past (with approximate dates and references), the benefits of a name change, what other university systems from other states have done with school name changes, answers to every objection imaginable, etc. This document should be flexible enough to be updated as needed. After a position paper is complete, informal lobbying efforts need to be done among the “movers and shakers” of the alumni and some of the officials listed under the mandates section of the resolution. Oh, one more thing … don’t give up and don’t take no for an answer!

Fresno St & Long Beach St are officially known as Cal St-Fresno & Cal St-Long Beach, but don’t advertise themselves that way.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & St U. goes by Virginia Tech.
Memphis isn’t UT-Memphis.
Cincy isn’t UO-Cincy.
Louisville isn’t UK-Louisville.
ASU isn’t UNC-Boone.
NCSU isn’t UNC-Raleigh.
WCU isn’t UNC-Cullowhee.
NCCU isn’t UNC-Durham.
These examples can be in the position paper.