Next Head Coach (candidate discussion)

One of the many unfathomable aspects of the Lambert era is why he didnā€™t go more JUCO heavy at the beginning.

He also doesnā€™t like historic icons on campus.

1 Like

As much as I like Mike Houston for the job, I think we can look to Ron Sanchez as the model Hill will go for. Somebody young enough to bring a higher level of energy to the program, and understands the value and how to use digital media to recruit and promote. But somebody with enough experience to provide leadership, and some ā€œbeen there, done thatā€ on the resume so other coaches will work for him. I see a coach in his mid-40s.

I think he goes for a coordinator from a P5 school rather than a HC from a smaller program. This would not be my approach, but what the heck do I know. I get the sense that Hill already thinks we think too small, and wants to sell the dream that we are a sleeping giant. His hire needs to support that theory, and be someone that people will say ā€œhe went from a 1 seed in the Big Dance to Charlotte, really?ā€ Well, the football equivalent.

I also think Hill will not care if a coach will be here for the long haul. I think that was part of the mindset in the past. I believe he will sell the opportunity that Charlotte can be a great launching pad. He will tell them that we have the pieces to recruit well, and the coach who comes in and assembles them and turns us into a winner will get all of the credit for it, and a big next step up. Our next coach will build his recruiting network in the heart of the SEC and ACC, and those relationships will position him well for some of the best jobs in the country.

And finally, I am certain that Hill is already working the phones. I think he started building his short list in April or May, and has been studying things very closely since then. While you can never be sure a hire will work out like you hope, this will be a very well informed decision.

It is frustrating for me to think about going from 2005 to 2020 before I get to really enjoy being a Niner fan again, but at least I feel like that day is coming.

2 Likes

As much as Iā€™ve championed Houston, I agree with Nugget on every point. Been thinking that way for a while now.

This is what we call a correct post.

Gene Chizik was in town today.

clt says tee Martin is very intriguing

Tee Martinā€“

• 40 years old - check
  • Offensive Coordinator - check
  • Media savvy - check
  • With a big time program, so that would make coming to Charlotte a head-scratcher - check

He fits.

Bonus points: He played in the SEC. He was raised in Alabama, which is the center of the college football universe. He has a son playing at Clemson, so we are 2200 miles closer if he wants to go see him play on our bye week. We have BBQ and sweet tea, which we know he cannot get in L.A.

3 Likes

No to Tee Martin. We need a proven head coach.

I donā€™t have an issue with a coordinator, as long as they come from a winning tradition and didnā€™t just have one good season followed by a really bad one in the ACC.

He interviewed for GA Southern so that should mean we have a shot at him.

Also played at UT so Chris Fuller and Hill should at a minimum be acquainted with him.

Seriously doubt we are in a position to provide what a proven head coach wants for a next step.

A proven head coach is looking for a step upā€¦not sure we can be considered a step up for anyoneā€¦unless you are OK with a D2 coach.

As one of the worst programs in D1ā€¦gotta take what we can getā€¦even if involves some risk of some sort.

Lambert was an accomplished coordinator at a P5 school.

not accomplished

2 Likes

He was not the DC at WFU when they went to the Orange Bowl.

His 3 years as DC are below:

The defense got progressively worse.

In college, since the playing field is no where near as leveled as in the NFL, itā€™s much more valuable for a HC to be a great recruiter than a great X&Oā€™s guy. Experienced HCā€™s hire good coordinators they can trust to make good X&O decisions for them.

Fair enough. I was under that impression.

I still think we should go for Scott Satterfield. We could triple his salary within the budget.

We need to lock up the coach we want before bowl season, hopefully behind the scenes since we hope heā€™s bowling himself.

Satterfield would be absolutely hilarious. The meltdown from Boone would be epic.

Hill I donā€™t think is going to get too caught up with HC vs Coordinator vs age. Heā€™s looking for a guy with a certain work ethic and ability to get shot done. Itā€™s why we hired Sanchez. I really took that from Hillā€™s interview. He is not going to get too caught up this profile or that.

2 Likes