Next Head Coach (candidate discussion)

I for one do not want Fedora. In addition to not being a great coach, heā€™s batshit crazy. Check out some of his bizarre press conferences. I think we can and should do better. Mike Houston needs to be the #1 target. If not him I wold be excited going the Ron Sanchez route and getting a coordinator from a top program.

1 Like

Yes he is crazy. He said in an interview last week that he doesnā€™t remember anything about the ECU game a few years back when the Tarheels gave up 70 points & almost 800 yards of offense. I think it was David Glenn interviewing him & he pretty much laughed at Fedoras comment.

1 Like

The App game tickets were actually $50 for single game purchases. Thatā€™s $125,000 which is a quarter of the buyout.

Adding those seats was not free. Far from it.

My gut says that a coach like Mike Houston that has recruited, coached and dominated with kids that could not get to the P5, might do better here than an OC from a big time school where recruits line up to sign NLIs.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s my take too Nugget. Houston has won everywhere heā€™s been. Also he completely changed his offensive system when he left Citadel for JMU because it better suited his personnel. Then he won an FCS NC with the new system. That says it all to me. The fact that heā€™s from NC and knows the region well is gravy.

We will not be his only suitor, but we need to make the best pitch we can and cross our fingers. In Mike Hill we trust.

3 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonsports.com/college-football/6-fcs-head-coaches-who-could-become-fbs-candidates%3famp

Is there any real advantage to letting Lambert go before the season ends? Nobody that currently has a job can really talk to us until their season ends, right? I do believe it is a big advantage that coaches basically know we are going to be making a change, and I think Hill should be (and probably will be) quietly talking to agents and lawyers over the next couple of months. I would like us to have a shortlist ready on 11/24.

Iā€™m guessing the short list will be ready well before 11/24. The situation is what it is, Lambert is 18-42 and we just got housed at home by App in probably our 2nd most publicized game ever.

I bet the short list has already been made, conversations already had and that Hill has a favorite already in mind that he is chomping at the bit to go after as soon as he can.

I donā€™t care what happens, firing a coach during the season for just losing is shitty and classless. (If they break the law, firing anytime would be OK.) I hated when they fired Price during the season. Itā€™s a really bad look.

1 Like

In a twist of fate, Lambert probably got Price fired, lol.

So odd how things turn out. Judy not firing Lambert got Price fired which got Judy fired which enabled us to hire Hill and in turn Sanchez and likely Hill firing Lambert, so in the end Lambert has been the savior of our entire program. #thanksbrad!

5 Likes

Some coaches will not talk to another team if they have a coach in place. If you have to wait until after the season is over you may be behind the curb on your top candidate.

math

Math checks out.

1 Like

Rarely do they talk school to coach. Itā€™s usually all back channels and between representatives to check in potential interest.

yeah, itā€™s a shell game. Hill absolutely wouldnā€™t talk to a sitting HC, but their agentsā€¦

I donā€™t understand this thought process in college athletics. I am in the project world. If I have a guy, even the nicest guy, that keeps screwing up and is costing my organization money, we donā€™t let him finish the project phase he is working on. We let him/her go and pull up another employee that is intimate with that phase until we can replace him/her. You donā€™t have to be classless and the person typically sees it coming. I give Lambert kudos for having the balls to hang in there and try to right the ship, but you know that he knows the end is near. Athletics is a business and the faster that the shareholders know that change is here the better in a bad situation.

Price on the other hand felt a little bit early on pulling the string. I feel like that was someone pushing someone out of a sinking boat so that it would float a little longer.

1 Like

Not only were those seats not free, we only netted an increase of roughly 500 seats over what we sold to a&t last year.

Trueā€¦but aesthetically it is much better.