Next Head Coach (candidate discussion)

Even though the Del Rio option sounds like a flyer he is far from Price. Del Rio is a proven head football coach and defensive coordinator at the highest level over the better part of the last two decades. He would double our current recruiting production just by walking into the living room and saying ā€œI am going to teach you how they do it in the NFL.ā€

A new name that just became in need of a job is Mike Stoops. While he was just fired he has been a head coach with some bowl appearances. He hired Seth Littrell (North Texas) as an assistant. He is not my first choice but it is a name.

Gene Chizik. Not sure he wants it, but talk about a name hire.

ANDā€¦We most DEFINITELY want college experience. No NFL retreads.

Realistically our next coach just has to find a way to win one FCS game a year and go 5-6 verse FBS schools and the fan base will be happy for a while going to a bowl. Expectations here arenā€™t unreasonable.

In Hillā€™s interview he answered the basketball opening by saying you find the right guy. He said that might be someone with HC experience it might not be. How having the right attitude and fire was most important and mentioned firing Jim McElwain at Florida because he wasnā€™t a fit.

I think we can look at how he went about hiring Sanchez. He is going to throw the book open and find who he thinks is the right guy. I donā€™t think he will get too caught up with HC experience honestly. I think he is going to look for strong recruiting ability though.

1 Like

Seeing what Bill Clark has done at UAB after having his team decimated by the forced 2 year pause, I think he might be a good choice to rebuild (build?) our program. Admittedly it might be hard to get him away from UAB after the fans stood up for him and his program, but put him on my list of maybes.

His buyout is $3,847,500. Not happening.

1. Greg Schiano (Urban Meyer connection)
  2. Tony Elliott (most similar to Sanchez hire)

Yes please!!

Hereā€™s a name I donā€™t see tossed around much but could be an interesting hire, Tee Martin. He played at UT (won the national title in 1998) is currently the OC at USC. Initially looking at that it might appear he is a little out of our reach financially but he did interview for the Georgia Southern job in 2017 http://footballscoop.com/news/update-georgia-southern/ and if he would coach there why not here?

Heā€™s a dynamite recruiter and stylistically USCā€™s offense is one that I would love to see here. Fuller spent a lot of time at UT, and with Hillā€™s deep SEC ties I would imagine they would be acquainted as well.

my updated running list of names:

Mike Houston - JMU HC
Josh Gattis - Bama Co-OC/WR Coach
Eli Drinkwitz - NCSU OC/QB Coach
Pep Hamilton - Mich AHC/Passing Game Coordinator
Tee Martin - USC OC/WR Coach
Curt Cignetti - Elon HC
Sterlin Gilbert - USF OC/QB Coach
Sonny Cumbie - TCU Co-OC/QB Coach
Shane Beamer - OKLA AHC for Offense, TE & H-Backs
Hugh Freeze - couch potato
Tony Elliott - Clemson Co-OC/RB

Pretty sure that Schiano or anyone else who has a hint of scandal in their past, will not be hired.

1 Like

Add Bamaā€™s Brent Key to the list.

Can do put their current role on there as well? i.eā€¦ OC DC HC, etc?

Strange, I donā€™t see Chuck Amatoā€™s name on this list.

Updated

2 Likes

clt likes elliott, martin and houston.

Scott Satterfield has a lower buyout than Brad Lambert.

Satterfield has a new contact that has not been made public from what I was told by an App booster. The new buyout is nearly $8m and new contract runs through 2022 or 23

Tell that to the papers that reported on it:

Thanks 2k. App would have very little leverage to get Satt to agree to anything he didnā€™t want to. I canā€™t see him signing a deal that makes it hard for him to leave App when he is ready, and App doesnā€™t have the resources to incent him to do so.