Nichols retires as NCAA coordinator of officials

Hank Nichols steps down after 22 years as coordinator of NCAA officials. Gosh, I’m know I’m old since I can remember when he officiated games!

USAToday.com: NCAA basketball officiating coordinator calls it a career

Hank Nichols steps down after 22 years as coordinator of NCAA officials. Gosh, I'm know I'm old since I can remember when he officiated games!

USAToday.com: NCAA basketball officiating coordinator calls it a career

He probably watched an A10 game and nearly had a heart attack. So he decided to call it quits before having a real problem. Thats what I would speculate anyway.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;312662]He probably watched an A10 game and nearly had a heart attack. So he decided to call it quits before having a real problem. Thats what I would speculate anyway.[/QUOTE]
Since I’m assuming you read the article, he was a ref in the A-10, as well as the ACC, Big East, etc., prior to taking the coordinator gig with the NCAA.

BTW, I’m surprised no has taken issue with Nichols’ assessment of college officiating per this article.

I think his final decree was “No inside fouls in the tournament this year” seriously all around the country this has been one of the worst officiating years. I think it may have to do with the bench decouroum rules, refs spend more time watching the coach and less watching the game.

"Officiating is better in the sense that now, that if you watch a game anywhere, all the referees are refereeing the same way, and that was my charge when I got this position," says Nichols. "Now, you can't tell the difference on mechanics or how the game is called. Everybody is calling games with the same philosophy, and that's a big change."
Really? Has he ever watched and ACC game and compared it to the calls at an A10 game? Or is that where the next quote comes from?
"Just like any other endeavor, there are some guys with more talent than others," he says. "So you have your upper echelon of excellent refs and the next echelon of pretty good refs, and you've got some other refs that are trying to get to those levels."
"The thing that has changed that's negative in my mind is the fact that nobody gives a positive outlook to officiating," he says. "Coaches don't, and especially, the media doesn't. We expect fans following teams, especially when they lose, not to be positive about officiating. But it's hard to overcome the negative image that keeps getting thrown out there and thrown out there over every bad call at the end of a game.

“There’s certainly a lot more scrutiny, but I’m very disappointed over the years that a whole lot of constituencies haven’t given a positive outlook to officiating.”

Hmmm, interesting to see it from the other side of the whistle

ChevEE, I watched a few ACC games on TV this season and I wasn’t all that impressed with the officiating of those games either. The decorum rule was completely ignored (not saying that’s good or bad) and apparently the announcers for the ACC Network (Raycom Sports) are on a “short leash” as concerns commenting/criticizing calls during a telecast.

BTW, if a certain ref makes the correct call last season, Xavier probaby beats Ohio State and the Musketeers go to the Sweet 16. This season the most glaring one I saw was Texas A&M versus UCLA and if that call is made, then the Aggies keep playing instead of the Bruins.

And don’t even get me started about U-15 soccer! :tongue:

[QUOTE=run49er;312794]…apparently the announcers for the ACC Network (Raycom Sports) are on a “short leash” as concerns commenting/criticizing calls during a telecast.[/QUOTE]
I [I]did[/I] notice that this year and wondered about that a few times. Reminds me, not TV but I won’t forget last season when announcer in Halton proclaimed “It’s a foul!”… :lmao: