Niner Baseball 2013

I wonder why they moved the student section to the home side. Maybe there was an “incident” last year?[/quote]

They actually did it?

No surprise, I’m sure lots of visiting teams had plenty of complaints about the on-deck circle being within talking distance of the student section. We were in their heads before they even got to the plate.

Sadly, our AD is more interested in kissing the visitor’s ass than providing the best home-field advantage for our Boys in Green. Seriously, the home field was obvious for us.[/quote]

Not saying that this is the reason they were moved, but I have heard that some folks were unhappy with our students getting food from the concession stands for the other team during games last year.[/quote]

Wait, seriously?

Oh, holy s***. Now I’ve heard it all.[/quote]

I had heard they MAY move the students, but I thought they were talking about next year. I got to the game in the top of the 2nd and was surprised to see almost no one in the section beside the visiting dugout and see the section beside our dugout packed with a bunch of Niners trying to start the FORTY NINER chant.

We had a lot of 1st year players starting in our 1st game. Now, the good news. They all looked to be good players, both offensively and defensively.

I wonder why they moved the student section to the home side. Maybe there was an “incident” last year?[/quote]

They actually did it?

No surprise, I’m sure lots of visiting teams had plenty of complaints about the on-deck circle being within talking distance of the student section. We were in their heads before they even got to the plate.

Sadly, our AD is more interested in kissing the visitor’s ass than providing the best home-field advantage for our Boys in Green. Seriously, the home field was obvious for us.[/quote]

Not saying that this is the reason they were moved, but I have heard that some folks were unhappy with our students getting food from the concession stands for the other team during games last year.[/quote]

Wait… what???

Doubleheader on Saturday. Game times are at noon and 3:30.

Coach Hibbs just wants to create a better home environment at games. This way it’s more of an interaction with our team, and less of an interaction with the others. Plus I’m pretty sure it has something to do with C-USA rules.

They actually did it?

I can see how this made people angry, but nobody bought anything for anybody without a reason. One guy bought a bag of skittles for each visiting player that struck out looking 3 times in a game. Coach Vittorio sent all our students Dayton hats, but he did that the last time Dayton Played here. Nobody actually wore a Dayton hat or anything. I bought him a hot dog for that. Not ashamed. I sincerely hope this was not the reason, but it may be. The past is the past, just need to do what we can from 103. For what it’s worth, Momentum appeared to be a much bigger part of the game with the students on the home side.

$$$$…there are a lot of games each year I was a student 107 was not even half full…the parents section in 103 usually about half full…combine the 2 and sell 107…its listed as almost sold out. It worked they made $300 off me for season tix to sit there. It was simply a financial decision.

They actually did it?

I can see how this made people angry, but nobody bought anything for anybody without a reason. One guy bought a bag of skittles for each visiting player that struck out looking 3 times in a game. Coach Vittorio sent all our students Dayton hats, but he did that the last time Dayton Played here. Nobody actually wore a Dayton hat or anything. I bought him a hot dog for that. Not ashamed. I sincerely hope this was not the reason, but it may be. The past is the past, just need to do what we can from 103. For what it’s worth, Momentum appeared to be a much bigger part of the game with the students on the home side.[/quote]

They actually did it?

I can see how this made people angry, but nobody bought anything for anybody without a reason. One guy bought a bag of skittles for each visiting player that struck out looking 3 times in a game. Coach Vittorio sent all our students Dayton hats, but he did that the last time Dayton Played here. Nobody actually wore a Dayton hat or anything. I bought him a hot dog for that. Not ashamed. I sincerely hope this was not the reason, but it may be. The past is the past, just need to do what we can from 103. For what it’s worth, Momentum appeared to be a much bigger part of the game with the students on the home side.[/quote]

Maybe Coach Hibbs wanted our players to eat too.

I think yesterday’s change went quite smoothly. The students still had the opportunity to “discuss” the opposing players’ shortcomings with them (ERA of OVER 40, etc), but at the same time the students were also next to the Niner dugout to give more support to OUR players.

Nice way to welcome the opposing starter as he did finish the day with an ERA of 49.

clt demands to learn more about skittlesgate.

Food for opposing players was rather common. Sometimes as a reward for failure, other times to add to the distraction.

That’s exactly what it was, and really what we were over there: a distraction. We’d be in the player’s ear as soon as they stepped into the batter’s box. I believe that’s how Skittlesgate started: a guy had already struck out twice, both looking. We were making fun of him for it, and asking him to do it again. We even told him we’d buy him a bag of Skittles if he did.

Lo and behold, strike three. I don’t think he swung the bat the entire time at the plate. It worked. Became a tradition… if you look at the sombrero before you put it on, you’ve got a bag of Skittles with your name on it.

The best part was when they would refuse it… we’d leave it on the ledge at our feet within reach of the dugout. It’d always be gone by the end of the game. They enjoyed their rainbow-flavored shame snack.

For those planning on going to the WFU game on the 26th (4pm), just saw this on their ticketing site: “Games played Monday-Thursday are free admission.” Let’s have a good Niner showing!

Tell The Crow I said hi, ok?

CAW!

Is C-Pip going to this game? He always seemed to have good luck charming the Wake Co-Eds at these games. :slight_smile:

Hopefully the Uh-Huh guy can travel up to Wake Forest!

Food for opposing players was rather common. Sometimes as a reward for failure, other times to add to the distraction.

That’s exactly what it was, and really what we were over there: a distraction. We’d be in the player’s ear as soon as they stepped into the batter’s box. I believe that’s how Skittlesgate started: a guy had already struck out twice, both looking. We were making fun of him for it, and asking him to do it again. We even told him we’d buy him a bag of Skittles if he did.

Lo and behold, strike three. I don’t think he swung the bat the entire time at the plate. It worked. Became a tradition… if you look at the sombrero before you put it on, you’ve got a bag of Skittles with your name on it.

The best part was when they would refuse it… we’d leave it on the ledge at our feet within reach of the dugout. It’d always be gone by the end of the game. They enjoyed their rainbow-flavored shame snack.[/quote]

Lew, I heard some speculation that UNC coach Mike Fox refused to play us again in Charlotte unless the students were moved to the other side of the stadium. I never did like that guy.

Niner baseball is gonna have a big year.

I think so too. Today’s game was also cancelled due to snow. It’s a shame we’re only 1-0 insted of 4-0.

Snow screwed us from 1,000 wins. We started year at 996, now we have 997. No snow, we could already have 1,000 career W’s.

I think so too. Today’s game was also cancelled due to snow. It’s a shame we’re only 1-0 insted of 4-0.[/quote]

Sucks for Delaware St also travel down here expecting to play 4 games and only play 1.