Niner Baseball in the NCAA's

#justwinbaby

I am sure you know more about SEC baseball than I do, but Arkansas was listed as a Regional host in many projections the last month or so. I hope you are right that we have a better chance to advance with these matchups.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/2011/05/field-of-64-compelling-storylines/

Probable Marquee Mound Showdowns:

1. Arkansas’ D.J. Baxendale vs. Charlotte’s Andrew Smith: great matchup between competitive strike-throwers—the well-known Baxendale, already named to USA Baseball’s college national roster for 2011, and the A-10 pitcher of the year in Smith.

Cinderella, Your Carriage Is Waiting

1. New Mexico: The Lobos carried a seven-game losing streak into the Mountain West Conference tournament—their fifth losing streak of five or more games in 2011. But they caught fire at the perfect time, beating juggernaut TCU twice en route to the MWC title. They head to regionals—for the second straight year, after a 48-year absence—with a 20-39 record.

Tempe Regional Run down

http://www.collegebaseballinsider.com/11Postseason/TempeReg.html

[quote=“UNCCTF, post:19, topic:25438”]Get a freakin’ grip, people. I know, it’s disappointing not to be able to see them in person. But did you REALLY want us to go up against a national seed like Virginia or South Carolina? I would much rather the Niners be sent further away and have a decent chance of winning, which is what we have.

Arkansas had a very up-and-down year, and we can handle them. They padded their record against the very weak SEC West, and almost didn’t even make the conference tournament. New Mexico is just bad. I saw Arizona State when they came to Auburn for a weekend series back in March; they took 2 from Auburn, IIRC, but they weren’t by any means dominant. We are in a winnable regional. I would not be saying the same thing if we were in Columbia or Charlottesville.

And the conspiracy theories on here are so far out there, I don’t even find them amusing anymore. Suck it up. Like 2002 said, it’s not like being local did jack-squat for us in 07 or 08.[/quote]

Bingo. And we got a #3 seed. A #3 seed with a #72 RPI. I’m sure several #4 seeds are trying to figure that out. That was the most surprising thing of all. We may not be able to travel, but a #4 seed at the Columbia or Clemson regional would have been much worse.

After we win this regional, we will probably be sent to a Super Regional in LA, which means we will have played our post season games in NJ, Arizona, LA, and Omaha this year.

At least we don’t have to worry about playing any games in cold, damp weather conditions in Tempe. The games we played in cold, damp/rainy conditiins resulted in many of our losses.

I’m afraid that I can not do that.

As pissed off as I am that I or others won’t be able to travel, the better chance at winning in Tempe offsets a lot of that. Since we won’t be driving anywhere for games, put that money away for your trip to Omaha.

To be fair, we’ll probably get as much media coverage out there as if we were in Columbia or Chapel Hill.

[quote=“49r9r, post:26, topic:25438”]After we win this regional, we will probably be sent to a Super Regional in LA, which means we will have played our post season games in NJ, Arizona, LA, and Omaha this year.

At least we don’t have to worry about playing any games in cold, damp weather conditions in Tempe. The games we played in cold, damp/rainy conditiins resulted in many of our losses.[/quote]
Why are people struggling to read the bracket? We will play TEXAS in the Supers.

Plane tickets look to be $800-$1000 from Charlotte. Anyone know if we’ll be able to watch on TV?

Do what everyone at Auburn did when we went to the BCS title game - fly to Las Vegas for way cheaper and then rent a car to drive to the Phoenix area.

That said, I wasn’t going to be able to go no matter where it was because I’ll be in Louisville for the next week and a half. I’m hoping it’s on TV somewhere.

Just checked Travelocity, and they list several flights from Charlotte on Thursday and Friday for $610-$640. The connector flight from Atlanta arrives in Phoenix at 12:25 pm on Friday, and the field is less than 10 minutes from the airport.

EDIT: Just checked Orbitz, and if you fly out on Thursday and come back Tuesday Delta has a flight for $468. The savings from the plane tickets should cover your extra 1-2 nights for a hotel room.

No TV info yet. I checked the ASU website and found nothing. From the Arkansas website:

The Arkansas baseball team has been selected as the No. 2 seed in the Tempe regional and will face No. 3 seed Charlotte on Friday. The Razorbacks and 49ers will meet at 4 p.m. (CT) on Friday afternoon. [b]Television/webcast information will be announced later. [/b]

Flights out of Raleigh are $272.

…and guess where several of the flights connect to? CHARLOTTE. Crap like that is what makes people hate the airline industry. A person can drive from Charlotte to Raleigh and fly back to Charlotte and then on to Phoenix cheaper than purchasing only the direct-flight ticket to Phoenix. That’s some industry horseshit right there.

Charlotte-Memphis-Phoenix = $468
Raleigh-Charlotte-Phoenix= $297 >:(

Yep those flights go right back through Charlotte. Ridiculous!!

Bracket with game times for the weekend.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/asu/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2011Tempe.pdf

Raleigh-Charlotte-Phoenix= $297 >:([/quote]

Never take this flight. Both legs are on a Embraer 175. Cramped and the seats suck. Like sitting on an ironing board. Good jets for flights less than 2 hours.

Never take this flight. Both legs are on a Embraer 175. Cramped and the seats suck. Like sitting on an ironing board. Good jets for flights less than 2 hours.[/quote]

College students will ride with the luggage and an oxygen mask if it will save that much money. i doubt they are concerned about being a little cramped. I’m not either for $150+ difference.

…and guess where several of the flights connect to? CHARLOTTE. Crap like that is what makes people hate the airline industry. A person can drive from Charlotte to Raleigh and fly back to Charlotte and then on to Phoenix cheaper than purchasing only the direct-flight ticket to Phoenix. That’s some industry horseshit right there.

It is the conspiracy against Charlotte and nothing else.

Looks like there wil be no video on the web of the Tempe Regional. So much for a watch party at Picassos. I guess we could go there and watch the Gametracker.
::slight_smile: