Niner Needs Help

Calling all Niners…

I am working on something and am in need of as many quotes as possible from Cincinnati players and or coaches about what it is like to play in Charlotte/Halton Arena. I know there have been a lot of great ones over the years from Ryan Fletcher, Bobby Brannen, Kenyon Martin, etc.

As many as you can dig up and post I would appreciate. This is important and hopefully will lead to something that will be of benefit to all of us, so please make sure they are legitimate.

Thanks!

“UNC Charlotte is by far the toughest place to play, conference or non conference. At Charlotte the fans are ruthless. They’ll talk about your mom. They just dont care.”
-former Cincinnati forward Ryan Fletcher

Thanks… anyone else? Bueller?

Well, Kenyon Martin blew it out of proportion a little, but he said this in ESPN Magazine in an interview with Dan Patrick. It’s not the best quote, but it’s something:

Patrick: One word to describe your reaction to the Pacers-Pistons fight?
Martin: Wow. I didn’t believe it was real. You know what I’m saying?
Patrick: The closest you ever came to going into the stands?
Martin: My freshman year at Cincinnati, when we were playing in Charlotte. People were throwing beer and stuff at us. I didn’t go into the stands, but I really wanted to.

Was that game that Kenyon Martin referred to played @ Independence Arena? Or was he getting piss dumped on him & thought it was warm beer?!?! Does anyone remember the game when people through coins at the players & broke someones tooth? They started throwing balls into the crowd!

“Fuc#ing Horse!”

-Art Long

See my signature

[i]Originally posted by bhaley29[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 12:25 PM [b] Was that game that Kenyon Martin referred to played @ Independence Arena? Or was he getting piss dumped on him & thought it was warm beer?!?! Does anyone remember the game when people through coins at the players & broke someones tooth? They started throwing balls into the crowd! [/b]
It was actually the first year at Halton. Danny Fortson and Ruben Patterson started making throat slashing gestures towards the crowd after they had the game sealed up and that started the whole thing (our fans then throw ice or coins, their players throw a basketball and come into the stands). What really pisses me off about that is our fans are the one's called out for that (rightfully so) but nobody ever says anything about the Cinci players going into the stands and how wrong that was. Every year Diego played for us Cinci fans threw things at him (once even cutting his eye with a coin) but nobody ever comments about that. But I'm not bitter......... :D (I'm going to miss Cinci).

I do remember in the '98 regular season when we played @ Cinci that their fans started throwing things and Huggins got on the mic and made a comment that “Unlike other schools, we have class and we don’t throw things”.

[i]Originally posted by forDniner[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 08:12 PM [b] .........Huggins got on the mic and made a comment that "Unlike other schools, we have class.......... [/b]
Huggins always was a comedian, but saying Cinci fans have class is downright hilarious.

Speaking of Huggins, didn’t he make a statement a year or 2 ago that Halton was the worst place in the country to play. I may have used that as my signature on another board.

I won’t be surprised to see our good buddy gruehls join this discussion soon.

B)

Cincy fans at the tournament in Cincy in 2002 called me Sideshow Bob and threw pizza crusts at me

[i]Originally posted by Sideshow[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 08:22 PM [b] Cincy fans at the tournament in Cincy in 2002 called me Sideshow Bob and threw pizza crusts at me [/b]
It seems to me that the pizza crust should have been traded for a drumstick or 2.

B)

[b]It seems to me that the pizza crust should have been traded for a drumstick or 2. [/b]

No, but I did get on the PA and say “stop throwing pizza crusts! Unlike SOME schools, we have class!”

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 08:20 PM [b]

I won’t be surprised to see our good buddy gruehls join this discussion soon.
[/b]

my favorite quote about halton is:

“halton is proof that no matter how good the facility, a team can still underachieve.”

umm, since i am the smartest person i know, i am quoting me of course.

Here is the quote by Huggins.

“You think the crowds are going to be more hostile to us than they were before?” asked Huggins, who knows the league villain role well. “It’s impossible to be any worse at Charlotte.”

gruehls, are you coming down to Charlotte for the Cinci game this year? I doubt Huggins has the guts to play us in Halton again after this year.

B)

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 09:00 PM [b]Here is the quote by Huggins.

“You think the crowds are going to be more hostile to us than they were before?” asked Huggins, who knows the league villain role well. “It’s impossible to be any worse at Charlotte.”

gruehls, are you coming down to Charlotte for the Cinci game this year? I doubt Huggins has the guts to play us in Halton again after this year.

B)[/b]

workin on it O49er.

can you assure me that only the nice niners, and none of the nasty niners, will be around halton on 2/5? that’s important as i’d like to avoid certain noxious niners.

let me know if the area will be clear of, well, you know.

[i]Originally posted by gruehls+Jan 24 2005, 09:05 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (gruehls @ Jan 24 2005, 09:05 PM)
[i]Originally posted by gruehls[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 10:05 PM [b]

can you assure me that only the nice niners, and none of the nasty niners, will be around halton on 2/5? that’s important as i’d like to avoid certain noxious niners.

let me know if the area will be clear of, well, you know. [/b]

guess we’ll just have to get Powerbait and HP all liquored up before you arrive so they don’t harass you and the wife :lol:

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 09:09 PM [b] guess we'll just have to get Powerbait and HP all liquored up before you arrive so they don't harass you and the wife :lol:[/b]

and you were thinkin that getting them liquored up would stop the harassment? i’d be inclined to think the opposite.

by that point PB would only want more alcohol, and krystal burgers

[i]Originally posted by gruehls+Jan 24 2005, 10:03 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (gruehls @ Jan 24 2005, 10:03 PM)