Niner piece in Business Journal

Just picked up an office copy of this week’s Charlotte Business Journal and there is a piece about 49er athletics entitled “Competition is strong but UNCC sees sponsor gains”.

It hasn’t been posted on their website yet [charlotte.bizjournals.com], so here’s a quick overview of the article by CBJ senior staff writer Erik Spanberg.

o Lofty preseason predictions for Niners has translated into stronger sponsorship sales
o Projected 10% revenue gain over last season
o Niners are led by star players Martin Iti, Curtis Withers, and Brendan Plavich (well, he got 2 out of 3 right! :lol: )
o Sponsors increased to 38 from 36
o Revenue from men’s basketball is $2.15 million
o Major sponsors ($10,000-100,000/year) include Blue Cross/Blue Shield/NC, Food Lion, CT Communications, and Outback
o 2002-03, first season after Hornets left for the Big Easy, average attendance (6,423) at 49er games decreased by 14% from previous season
o 2003-04 season, average attendance increased to 7,381 per game

And, saving the best for last in the piece:

[Signature Sports Group, Inc. principal Steven] Hall, the school’s marketing representative, says his firm hopes to help grow sponsorship revenue in the next few years so Halton Arena can upgrade its scoreboard with a video system The project carries an estimated $300,000 price tag.

GO NINERS!!!

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 12:05 PM [b]

And, saving the best for last in the piece:

[Signature Sports Group, Inc. principal Steven] Hall, the school’s marketing representative, says his firm hopes to help grow sponsorship revenue in the next few years so Halton Arena can upgrade its scoreboard with a video system The project carries an estimated $300,000 price tag.

GO NINERS!!! [/b]


Oh man, we can only hope that happens sometime soon!

[b]o 2002-03, first season after Hornets left for the Big Easy, average attendance (6,423) at 49er games decreased by 14% from previous season[/b]

That season never happened. That’s why.

LoudNProud, that was one difficult season. I went back to look at the attendance for our games and if you take out that ridiculous ESPN/Pepsi Classic debacle, we averaged 7,155 per game!

In those Pepsi 3 games, the average attendance was 3,465.

BTW, we had 2 sellouts that year - Cincy and Marquette, plus over 8,000 for the DePaul and East Carolina games.

It’s nice to know the dollar amount to shoot for to get the new scoreboard.
I hope we can get it done by next season. I’m going to make an extra donation for that expressed purpose.

When you make a donation to a group such as our athletic foundation, you can stipulate (within reason) what is to be done with the money. That wouldn’t apply to your 49erclub base donation levels. But you could make a second donation with a request.

Just FYI.

I’ll toss in an extra $100 for a new video scoreboard. Wish I had more to give.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 02:39 PM [b] When you make a donation to a group such as our athletic foundation, you can stipulate (within reason) what is to be done with the money. That wouldn't apply to your 49erclub base donation levels. But you could make a second donation with a request.

Just FYI.

I’ll toss in an extra $100 for a new video scoreboard. Wish I had more to give. [/b]


Stop screwing around on this website and get in some more billable hours so we can get our damn new scoreboard!!!

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 02:45 PM [b] Stop screwing around on this website and get in some more billable hours so we can get our damn new scoreboard!!!! [/b]
owned. :P

Just recalled that George Washington is getting a new scoreboard for their Smith Center.

New Scoreboards to Sparkle in Smith Center

I looked up Barco, which has the contract for the GW project and here’s a pic of the new scoreboard and endzone display boards.

Overkill.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 02:07 PM [b] Just recalled that George Washington is getting a new scoreboard for their Smith Center.

New Scoreboards to Sparkle in Smith Center

I looked up Barco, which has the contract for the GW project and here’s a pic of the new scoreboard and endzone display boards.

[/b]


Yikes is that a home game? Never mind it’s the women’s team. :frowning:

Doesn’t wake have some of those end zone scoreboards?

They have no central scoreboard at all though, which baffles me, as much as we gripe about ours.

That video scoreboard looks great. Looks almost identical to ours save for those nice screens.

RBC Center in Raleigh made up the cost of their matrix boards around the inner ring quickly with revenue from ads… with that being said ads can be quite annoying as well.

It took NCSU a while to realize how to use these tools to add to the spectator atmosphere and not take away… For instance, there’s only so many commercials of Hank Hill and Seinfield one can take at a college game. Dont even get me started on the John Deere tractors that circle the arena :wacko:

I never thought I would say that going to a game at the Dean Dome is more college-like than a home NCSU bball game.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 03:56 PM [b] Doesn't wake have some of those end zone scoreboards?

They have no central scoreboard at all though, which baffles me, as much as we gripe about ours.

That video scoreboard looks great. Looks almost identical to ours save for those nice screens. [/b]


Wake has no video scoreboards… They don’t have a center court scoreboard because the roof won’t support it.

Whay can’t they retrofit video screens into our existing board? You’d think they would make those things interchangeable somehow.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 12:05 PM [b] And, saving the best for last in the piece:

[Signature Sports Group, Inc. principal Steven] Hall, the school’s marketing representative, says his firm hopes to help grow sponsorship revenue in the next few years so Halton Arena can upgrade its scoreboard with a video system The project carries an estimated $300,000 price tag.

GO NINERS!!! [/b]


This is good news, I’m so sick of looking at our lite brite scoreboard. It would be nice to see a visible replay.

Current Halton scoreboard courtesy of Niner007:

What we have now is better than what WAke has.

Pixils!! Bring me MORE pixils!!!

The scoreboard at Cricket Arena is exactly like ours, but with a video board. It’s sweet.