Niner Radio Network

Currently Charlotte basketball games are only carried on 610 WFNZ in Charlotte. Since our basketball team has seen great success in the past and our program is growing, isn’t it about time for Niner games to be broadcast on more than one station. I know last year games were broadcast online on yahoo and they will be again this year for a fee but wouldn’t it be a good idea to get our games broadcast on as many stations as possible in the Carolinas? Appalachian State, Western Carolina, and UNC Greensboro all broadcast their basketball games on multiple stations. If there is a big enough audience willing to listen to these teams, doesn’t it seem viable for Charlotte games to be on more than one station?

I posed the same question last season. The problem is that the time for the game has to be bought for any station the games are aired on. Yes, we have alumni in the Asheville, Hickory, and Triad areas, but not near as many as are in the Charlotte universe. Our community support in the three areas mentioned is almost non-existant. In order to buy the time from the stations sponsors are needed to pay for it. Not sure that there are enough sponsors in those areas yet to make the option viable. Once we get more and more alumni throughout those areas and other parts of the state, maybe a network will be a reality. With the way satellite radio is catching on, this could be an option someday as well.

Everybody, well most, bitch about the Big O’s coverage. But, I’ll tell you, 610 is the biggest joke of it all. Can’t we get a friggin’ station on the FM dial to carry us as many obscure stations as there are Charlotte.

I come down to home games during the week and on my way home try to listen to the post-game show. By the time I get to Little Rock Rd or so I’m losing the signal. PATHETIC.

I like WFNZ and listen to it all the time but the signal is entirely too weak for a wide majority of the surrounding Charlotte Metro to pickup. I feel if multiple stations can justify carrying Appalachian State, Western Carolina, East Carolina, and UNC Greensboro then why not Charlotte. I feel there are more people in the Carolinas willing to listen to a top 25 basketball team on the radio than a top 150 team like the other schools I mentioned. One day I was listening to Pirate Radio in Greenville, NC online
(because WFNZ streaming was down) and many of their advertisers state at the end of their commercials “pirates supporting pirates” I think it would be nice if we could get locally owned businesses to advertise and state “niners supporting niners”. If we could develop a system like the ECU system where niner fans could support businesses that advertise with the team I feel more advertisers would bring money into our athletic department.

[b]I like WFNZ and listen to it all the time[/b]

That is disturbing. I wil assume you are new to the city and don’t know any better.

Folks, of course the school would like to have a stronger signal carrying our games but we have to pay to get them on the air and wfnz is all we can afford.

[i]Originally posted by JaMiNNiNeR[/i]@Oct 19 2005, 08:26 AM [b] I feel if multiple stations can justify carrying Appalachian State, Western Carolina, East Carolina, and UNC Greensboro then why not Charlotte. [/b]
It's a dollars and cents issue. We can buy the time on most any AM station, and most would be happy to put us on provided it did not interrupt any of their prime programming. It's guaranteed money for them. The problem is getting enough regional sponsors together to fund the purchase. Advertising for Charlotte area businesses in Asheville and the Triad would not work. Until we got interest from local businesses or regional ones that span those areas we are SOL.
[b]I feel there are more people in the Carolinas willing to listen to a top 25 basketball team on the radio than a top 150 team like the other schools I mentioned. [/b]

With the possible exception of UNCG, I would disagree with this. Those schools have more total alumni than we do simply because they are older than we are. They may not graduate as many as we currently do, but they have more alumni and community support than we currently do. Not just locally, but from across the state because of the alumni they have spread out everywhere. UNCG’s support does not go far beyond Greensboro, but their local community support is better than ours is in Charlotte. Charlotte alumni is growing in the Triad, Hickory, and in Asheville, but we aren’t big enough yet in those places yet to warrant businesses to buy time to try to get this selective group as patrons.

I find it odd that those schools would have “networks” as stated. I thought App only had two stations for hoops and the other schools one each. I’d love to see a list of their network stations…

[i]Originally posted by max[/i]@Oct 19 2005, 10:32 AM [b] I find it odd that those schools would have "networks" as stated. I thought App only had two stations for hoops and the other schools one each. I'd love to see a list of their network stations...... [/b]
App has 12 radio stations carrying their games. That's pretty good for a school their size. 790 The Ball in the Triad is carrying their games also, but are not on this list.

2005-06 ASN Radio Affiliates

East Carolina has the following affiliates for football:

2005 PSRN Affiliates
(as of July 27, 2005)
Belmont, N.C. – WCQC (1270 AM)
Burlington, N.C. – WPCM (920 AM)
Concord, N.C. – WEGO (1410 AM)
Elizabeth City, N.C. – WGAI (560 AM)
Fair Bluff, N.C. – WVXY (1480 AM)
Fairmont, N.C. – WFMO (860 AM)
Farmville, N.C. – WGHB (1250 AM)
Fayetteville, N.C. – WFAY (1230 AM)
Greenville, N.C. – WNCT (1070 AM)
Jacksonville, N.C. – WJCV (1290 AM)
Kinston, N.C. – WRNS (960 AM)
Laurinburg, N.C. – WEWO (1450 AM)
Lumberton, N.C. – WAQR (1380 AM)
Myrtle Beach, S.C. – WQJM (1450 AM)
New Bern, N.C. – WSTK (104.5 FM)
Portsmouth, Va. – WRJR (1010 AM)
Raleigh, N.C. – WRBZ (850 AM)
Rock Hill, S.C. – WAVO (1150 AM)
Rocky Mount, N.C. – WPWZ (95.5 FM)
Roxboro, N.C. – WKRX (96.7 FM)
Roxboro, N.C. – WRXO (1340 AM)
Sanford, N.C. – WFJA (105.5 FM)
Statesville, N.C. – WAYE (550 AM)
Washington, N.C. – WDLX (930 AM)
Whiteville, N.C. – WTXY (1540 AM)
Williamston, N.C. – WIAM (900 AM)
Williamston, N.C. – WODR (97.7 FM)

They have these for basketball:

[code]2004-05 Radio Network Affiliates for Men's Basketball

WNBB
97.9 FM
Bayboro (New Bern)

WEGO
1410 AM
Concord

WGAI 560 AM Elizabeth City

WZFB 1480 AM Fair Bluff

WFMO 860 AM Fairmont
WGHB
1250 AM
Farmville/Greenville
WFAY
1230 AM Fayetteville

WNCT
1070 AM
Greenville

WJCV
1290 AM
Jacksonville

WEWO
1460 AM
Laurinburg

WSTK
104.5 AM
Lowland

WAGR
1380 AM
Lumberton

WHIP
1350 AM
Mooresville

WPMH
1010 AM
Porstsmith, Va.

WRBZ
850 AM Raleigh

WZUP
104.7 FM
Rose Hill

WTXY
1540 AM
Whiteville

WNBR
98.9 FM
Williamston

WIAM
900 AM
Williamston

[/code]

Western Carolina has the following affiliates:

Catamount Sports Network Affiliates :

WWCU 90.5
Cullowhee, NC

WRCG 680
Sylva, NC

WFSC 1050
Franklin, NC

WZNN 1350
Asheville, NC

WTZQ 1600
Hendersonville, NC

That’s great, but were talking about “basketball”. Again I’d love to compare our “hoops” coverage to that of App, WCU and UNCG.

[i]Originally posted by max[/i]@Oct 19 2005, 01:59 PM [b] That's great, but were talking about "basketball". Again I'd love to compare our "hoops" coverage to that of App, WCU and UNCG. [/b]
APP and WCU's affiliates carry football [b]AND[/b] basketball. ECU has eight less affilliates for basketball than they do for football. I don't believe that UNCG has a network.

In addition to their primary stations, App has 11 affiliates for basketball, ECU has 18, and Western has 4. Compared to 0, I’d say that’s pretty good.

Understand that we are talking about small college towns…what else are you gonna do in sylva or cullowhee but listen to catamount football??? :smiley:

Charlotte could certainly do better though

The only non-football school, if you are comparing apples to apples that was originally mentioned was UNCG…they don’t have a network. Considering App probably draws about 2-3,000 per b-ball game(a guess), I can’t imagine what kind of station would carry them, much less, who would listen. Same goes with WCU. In WCU’s case, all those stations are all clustered together in adjacent mountain towns. Again, most of those network arrangements are driven by football, which we don’t have.
I’m sure if we pushed hard enough, we could ask WEGO in Concord, WCGC in Belmont and plenty of other similar small market AM stations to be in our “network”, but what’s the point? No one listens to them anyway. Maybe I’m just not getting it?

[i]Originally posted by max[/i]@Oct 19 2005, 03:17 PM [b] I'm sure if we pushed hard enough, we could ask WEGO in Concord, WCGC in Belmont and plenty of other similar small market AM stations to be in our "network", but what's the point? No one listens to them anyway. Maybe I'm just not getting it? [/b]
I'm not sure that you are. Yes, ECU, WCU, and App all have football. Regardless of that, they have to [b]PAY[/b] to have their games broadcast on those stations. It has to be profitable for them to do that. Since they have the support from their alumni or regional businesses, it is. We don't have the support yet, so therefore we can't afford to buy the time on other radio stations besides 610. Again, we are [b]PURCHASING[/b] the airtime from 610. WFNZ is allowing us to purchase it, but they are not carrying the games as part of their station programming package.

There are no other non-football schools in North Carolina that compare to us, because none of their basketball programs are near as good as ours. UNCG gets a lot of community support, but outside of Greensboro they get very little. Most of the students that they have care very little about sports in general, let alone the school’s programs.

Sounds reasonable…I’ll buy that argument.

The Spartan Sports Radio Network

UNCG has games on three stations

[b] UNCG has games on three stations -JaMiNiNer[/b]

Well blow me back. You learn something new everyday. Another point well made!

[i]Originally posted by JaMiNNiNeR[/i]@Oct 19 2005, 04:48 PM [b] [url=http://www.uncgspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=0&SPID=0&DB_OEM_ID=5300&ATCLID=189963]The Spartan Sports Radio Network [/url]

UNCG has games on three stations [/b]

Surprising to me as well. The FM station they have is their campus station, and is barely receivable from more than 10 miles away. 1590 started carrying their games last season. As I said and is shown by the graphic below, their coverage area does not extend far beyond Greensboro. Their interest is probably smaller than the circle shown.

Often times if a team has their football games on a certin radio station, the station will air the basketball games as well at no additional charge. As you saw with App’s and ECU’s coverage the cities they are in would love to have any college sports on their station. Those stations are hurting for programming and any athletic event on that station is better than them playing old Kenny Rogers’ tunes.