Niner Times: School spirit? Not here

[quote=“dz49er, post:59, topic:27641”][quote=“919R, post:58, topic:27641”][quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:57, topic:27641”]So my buddy from Wilmington was in this weekend with his son to tour the campus. He had 1 tour guide say we had 49,000 students and when they toured the dorms a guide told them 85% of people who live on campus go home on the weekends.

We have got to do a better job of selecting who we allow to represent our University to visitors.[/quote]

THAT is pathetic. :([/quote]

Terrible. Absolutely terrible. We aren’t even close to that number. Where did he get that number (maybe because we are the 49ers, I don’t really know). What I really want to know is if he just came up with that himself, or if someone else told him that. If someone else told him, than that makes it even worse. >:([/quote]

I was wondering the same thing.

I love how articles like this tend to grab one of the most uninformed students on the campus and interview them. I hate those types of interviews – the student’s end up discrediting their education… I’m sure their mothers are proud.

I appreciate the spirit of the article though - finished out strong.

Oh, and for the record, I walk around the campus of a major SEC school daily… I look around and see VT, Alabama (not where I am!), and even that god-forsaken Tarheel Blue on a regular basis. Once I saw a girl with a Charlotte shirt on, I told her I liked her shirt – apparently her brother goes there.

My point is its not abnormal… Keep calling out students, I think it helps, ESPECIALLY at a Charlotte athletic event. But don’t let it hurt your feelings. I used to get really bent out of shape when I would stand at the Belk Tower and see a kid in a Duke shit walk by…

Great, all we have to do is make sure we win the National Title every year and everything else will take care of itself.

Simply winning doesn’t solve everything. Winning in football on TV solves everything.

In 04/05 our basketball team was ranked as high as 17th in the country, and we still had horrible school spirit.

[quote=“Chisox17, post:64, topic:27641”]Simply winning doesn’t solve everything. Winning in football on TV solves everything.

In 04/05 our basketball team was ranked as high as 17th in the country, and we still had horrible school spirit.[/quote]

[quote=“919R, post:58, topic:27641”][quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:57, topic:27641”]So my buddy from Wilmington was in this weekend with his son to tour the campus. He had 1 tour guide say we had 49,000 students and when they toured the dorms a guide told them 85% of people who live on campus go home on the weekends.

We have got to do a better job of selecting who we allow to represent our University to visitors.[/quote]

THAT is pathetic. :([/quote]

Which is why alumni should have a role in SOAR.

Man, that type of stuff didn’t happen when I gave tours.

"’[i]I’m a Chapel Hill fan, but I came here because of money and location. I think it’s more like, itls kind of the same with N.C. State,’ sand UNC Charlotte Junior Keith McCarthy.

McCarthy continues by saying, ‘They’re huge schools and we’re easier to get into, so the school spirit isn’t there. So, you’re not really working as hard to get into the school. It’s not everyone’s first choice either.’"

[/i]Being more proactive about making fun of these people might work.

[quote=“anipalcraig, post:68, topic:27641”]"’[i]I’m a Chapel Hill fan, but I came here because of money and location. I think it’s more like, itls kind of the same with N.C. State,’ sand UNC Charlotte Junior Keith McCarthy.

McCarthy continues by saying, ‘They’re huge schools and we’re easier to get into, so the school spirit isn’t there. So, you’re not really working as hard to get into the school. It’s not everyone’s first choice either.’"

[/i]Being more proactive about making fun of these people might work.[/quote]

Almost as bad as the video clip of the two Charlotte frat boys wearing UNC-CH shirts when appearing on the MTV show.

[quote=“anipalcraig, post:68, topic:27641”]"’[i]I’m a Chapel Hill fan, but I came here because of money and location. I think it’s more like, itls kind of the same with N.C. State,’ sand UNC Charlotte Junior Keith McCarthy.

Terrible argument. WVU has a 90% acceptance rate. Same with Arizona State. No problem with school spirit at those schools. Next.

I’d offer to buy his ass a bus ticket to Chapel Hill, but he pretty much admits he’s to dumb to get in. Raising our own academic standards just a little bit would eliminate some of this issue, according to Mr. McCarthy himself!

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:71, topic:27641”][quote=“anipalcraig, post:68, topic:27641”]"’[i]I’m a Chapel Hill fan, but I came here because of money and location. I think it’s more like, itls kind of the same with N.C. State,’ sand UNC Charlotte Junior Keith McCarthy.

I’d offer to buy his ass a bus ticket to Chapel Hill, but he pretty much admits he’s to dumb to get in. Raising our own academic standards just a little bit would eliminate some of this issue, according to Mr. McCarthy himself![/quote]

He should be whipped with a wet towel for his comments. Just because it isn’t his first choice doesn’t mean it wasn’t for a lot of us. I toured other campuses and just loved our’s over theirs. I also got a great education at Charlotte, met some great friends, and had a blast going to every game in Halton. This kid can go f**k himself.

Charlotte was the only UNC school I applied to.

[quote=“Dowless, post:72, topic:27641”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:71, topic:27641”][quote=“anipalcraig, post:68, topic:27641”]"’[i]I’m a Chapel Hill fan, but I came here because of money and location. I think it’s more like, itls kind of the same with N.C. State,’ sand UNC Charlotte Junior Keith McCarthy.

I’d offer to buy his ass a bus ticket to Chapel Hill, but he pretty much admits he’s to dumb to get in. Raising our own academic standards just a little bit would eliminate some of this issue, according to Mr. McCarthy himself![/quote]

He should be whipped with a wet towel for his comments. Just because it isn’t his first choice doesn’t mean it wasn’t for a lot of us. I toured other campuses and just loved our’s over theirs. I also got a great education at Charlotte, met some great friends, and had a blast going to every game in Halton. This kid can go f**k himself.[/quote]

College, like everything else in life, returns to you what you put into it. Clearly this kid doesn’t feel he needs to put anything into his college experience or education, and he’ll get nothing back out of it. The only problem I have is, assuming he graduates, will go out there and use his UNC Charlotte degree to get jobs. Once his employers see how little he “cares” about his job, we can only hope they don’t associate that with the education he got here. Makes the whole U look bad.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:74, topic:27641”][quote=“Dowless, post:72, topic:27641”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:71, topic:27641”][quote=“anipalcraig, post:68, topic:27641”]"’[i]I’m a Chapel Hill fan, but I came here because of money and location. I think it’s more like, itls kind of the same with N.C. State,’ sand UNC Charlotte Junior Keith McCarthy.

He should be whipped with a wet towel for his comments. Just because it isn’t his first choice doesn’t mean it wasn’t for a lot of us. I toured other campuses and just loved our’s over theirs. I also got a great education at Charlotte, met some great friends, and had a blast going to every game in Halton. This kid can go f**k himself.[/quote]

College, like everything else in life, returns to you what you put into it. Clearly this kid doesn’t feel he needs to put anything into his college experience or education, and he’ll get nothing back out of it. The only problem I have is, assuming he graduates, will go out there and use his UNC Charlotte degree to get jobs. Once his employers see how little he “cares” about his job, we can only hope they don’t associate that with the education he got here. Makes the whole U look bad.[/quote]

At this point he can transfer and no one will care about anything before college. Get out of my University…PLEASE!!!

[quote=“Dowless, post:75, topic:27641”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:74, topic:27641”][quote=“Dowless, post:72, topic:27641”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:71, topic:27641”][quote=“anipalcraig, post:68, topic:27641”]"’[i]I’m a Chapel Hill fan, but I came here because of money and location. I think it’s more like, itls kind of the same with N.C. State,’ sand UNC Charlotte Junior Keith McCarthy.

College, like everything else in life, returns to you what you put into it. Clearly this kid doesn’t feel he needs to put anything into his college experience or education, and he’ll get nothing back out of it. The only problem I have is, assuming he graduates, will go out there and use his UNC Charlotte degree to get jobs. Once his employers see how little he “cares” about his job, we can only hope they don’t associate that with the education he got here. Makes the whole U look bad.[/quote]

At this point he can transfer and no one will care about anything before college. Get out of my University…PLEASE!!![/quote]

Agreed. To be honest, Charlotte wasn’t my first choice. I applied to State, didn’t get in. I went here and I LOVE it here. Looking back on it, there is no other college I would rather be at. If your going to go here, at least TRY and be a fan. You are a 49er now. You now bleed Niner [color=black]Green [/color]and [color=black]White [/color]and no other colors.

Can we contact the Registrar to kick him out?

There might be 3 kids enrolled if this option were ever available.