NinerOnline Football Feature

NinerOnline has begun its week of Charlotte 49er Football discussions. Part 1 has been published:

[QUOTE]Letter from the editor: Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop the latest issue of NinerOnline.com to you. This week we are running a new story everyday on the possibility of football at UNCC. So, make sure you check in everyday to get all the information you need to know.

Also, we’ll be putting up new flyers around campus. Tell us what you think of them.

As always, we’re looking for new writers, photographers and copy editors. If you’re interested, please email me at editor@nineronline.com

Thanks for reading,
Josh Lanier
Executive Editor for NinerOnline.com [/QUOTE]

The article:
[URL=http://www.nineronline.com/media/storage/paper971/news/2006/10/15/SpecialSection/49er-Football.Will.We.Ever.Get.A.Team-2350527.shtml?norewrite200610160054&sourcedomain=www.nineronline.com]NinerOnline: Will we ever get a team?[/URL]

[QUOTE]“If a decision were made to have a football team, it is likely that we would have to start with a Division II or I-AA program and then ramp up to D I-A.” Dubois said. “However, because fan attendance at Division I-AA and II games tends to be low (i.e., 5000), ticket revenue tends to be low as well.” Getting a Division-I team could cost the University an exorbitant amount of money to join a conference and remain competitive. Also, a D-I team is required to meet attendance standards, which makes Dubois a bit uncertain. “In a city with lots of professional sports and other entertainment, we would have to be clear that we could make the attendance minimums. I know that people say that this is no big deal, but our experience in men’s basketball leaves me a bit skeptical.”

Will Charlotte ever get a football team? The prognosis looks desperate. But students will continue to ask the questions, a new football oriented student organization will receive funding every year, students will still wear their “Charlotte Football: Undefeated since 1946” gear and they’ll never give up hope. Hope that one day, Charlotte will hear the roar of the crowd and the crack of the pads for their new Niner football team.
[/QUOTE]

[I]Before coming to Charlotte, Dubois was Chancellor of the University of Wyoming and knows how important a football team can be to a university. “There are many reasons often advanced for having football, including increased community and alumni involvement in the University, enhanced fundraising, increased school spirit and pride, etc.” Dubois said. “But the main reason we might need to look at football in the next few years is to protect the conference affiliation of our men’s and women’s basketball teams, and other sports.”[/I]

What is this school waiting on? 10 Years ago we wouldnt have had the panthers to compete with. In 5 years we may have MLB to compete with. I’ve said it over and over, football is an event, basketball is something to do. Anyone 15 min from the campus that works for a living has a hard time getting to the games. Triad and Triangle niners would be able to come to football games, they don’t get to come to basketball games. Add to that Hickory area, Shelby Area, Albemarle area, South Carolina.

Absolute ridiculous. Chalk this up as excuse number 49,352, defeated.

just bumping this so nobody double posts, interesting read

Typically, a UTimes “article” is really just a bunch of disjointed, poorly spelled, prejudiced opinions written by a narcissist. I’m unaccustomed to a UTimes article with quotes and details to support their argument. I don’t agree with everything Dubois said, but the article itself was okay.

The helmet was pretty cool, too.

[QUOTE=survivor45;192591]Typically, a UTimes “article” is really just a bunch of disjointed, poorly spelled, prejudiced opinions written by a narcissist. I’m unaccustomed to a UTimes article with quotes and details to support their argument. I don’t agree with everything Dubois said, but the article itself was okay.

The helmet was pretty cool, too.[/QUOTE]

That’s because it was a Nineronline article, which is a totally different entity that the UTimes. Hence the unusual quality…

I like Dubois’ comments on football, it show that he knows that we need it if we ever want to go further, and he get it on why we want football and feel it is needed. I really don’t see what the problem is with coming out and saying “let’s do it!”

if student fees for athletics increased by 100 bucks, along with gaining 6,500 students, in 2012 we would be generating 14.44 Million a year for athletics. 5.51 more than we do now. If that same fee was inacted next year, between now it would generate an additional 10-12 million dollar egg. With that we could fully fund our sports now, and we could go ahead and start the womens sports, because Title IX isn’t about equality, its about women.

I don’t believe student fees are used to fund scholarships. That money comes from Athletic Foundation contributions. I’m not sure where that money can be spent.

[QUOTE=ninerID;192515] In 5 years we may have MLB to compete with. [/QUOTE]

I am a strong baseball proponent, but the MLB will NOT be in Charlotte. In fact, I am willing to bet that the 49ers will start a football team BEFORE the MLB comes to Charlotte.

NASCAR, NFL & PGA Tour control the local sports $$$. The NBA is trying to grab a piece of the pie…still can’t believe their is NO CORPORATE NAME on the Bobcats Arena. That should be very telling to the average sports fan.

AAA baseball is getting luke warm (at best) support for a stadium in Charlotte. Sure, pro baseball has a legacy in Charlotte (I think the 1st team started in 1901), but since George Shinn exiled the AAA team to SC…they have been out of sight, out of mind. The team continues to drag the bottom of attendance figures in the International League.

Even IF this city woke up & realized the value of baseball, it will take 2-3 years for a new AAA park…much longer to become a MLB city.

Those people who destroyed Crockett Park did a lot more damage to Charlotte Baseball than just the physical park.

That's because it was a Nineronline article, which is a totally different entity that the UTimes. Hence the unusual quality.....
Ahhh....that explains it. Thanks.

Lefty - I’m kinda curious about the student fees myself. From the ‘secret memo’:

If you want Football at Charlotte READ THIS!!! Expenses: Head Coach (salary/benefits): $345,102 Assistant Coaches (9) (s/b): $786,743 Team Travel: $400,000 Recruiting Travel: $125,000 Equipment Costs: $150,000 Officials: $72,000 Stadium Costs (Charlotte): [COLOR=red]$6,500 per game x 5 games = $32,500[/COLOR] Guarantees: $875,000 Assumes two non-conference @ $250,000 each / three conference games @ $125,000 each Additional staffing (football-related): $335,000 Assumes two FT trainers @ $60,000 each / one SID @ $45,000 / three secretarial support @ $30,000 each / one FT Video Director @ $50,000 / one Asst Video Dir @ $30,000 Other operating expenses: $150,000 Printing / maintenance / phones / mailings / computers / courtesy cars / video Preseason costs: $75,000 Housing / meals for two weeks prior to school opening for 85 student-athletes

Estimated Annual Cost for Football: [B]$3,346,345[/B]

Scholarships (Charlotte): [B]$935,000*[/B]
[COLOR=red]Based on 85 scholarships @ $11,000: $935,000[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]*MUST be funded through donations, not by football revenue or student fees)[/COLOR]

3,346,345 + 935,000 = [B]$4,281,345[/B]

How would (could) the program be funded?

[COLOR=red]it might be reasonable to expect $750,000-$1 million in corporate (50%) / private donor support (50%).[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Edit - $[B]1,830,000[/B] MUST be donated for football/Title IX scholarship funds.[/COLOR]
Ticket buyers? The C-USA average is [B]$1.33 million[/B]. Assuming five home games, you would need about 20,000 paying customers @ $13.00+ to hit goal.
Game Guarantees? Assuming three conference road games @ $125,000, and two “buy” games at $350,000 each, you could generate [B]$1.075 million[/B].
Student fees? Given the above, an additional $1,500,000 would need to be generated. Given the projected student enrollment increases, it would take about $87 per student in additional student athletic fees to fund the football
portion of the equation.
What are we leaving out?
[COLOR=red]Playing / practice facility Costs: Unknown ($25-75 million?) - one-time[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Unlike many Conference USA teams, we do not have an existing on-campus facility OR municipal stadium that meets NCAA standards of 30,000 permanent seats. Memorial Stadium seats about 22,000 people. NCAA STANDARDS HAVE RECENTLY CHANGED. Memorial Stadium can work[/COLOR]
Office Space / Training Room expansion / Weight Room expansion Costs: Unknown [B]($5-7 million?)[/B] - one-time
Academic Support Staff / Strength Center Staff / Adminstrative Support Costs: [B]$300,000[/B] annual
Academic Counselor (2) $40,000 each w/benefits
Asst. Strength Coach (2) $35,000 each w/benefits
Asst. AD/Operations $50,000 w/benefits
Asst. Compliance Officer $35,000 w/benefits
Asst. Ticket Manager $30,000 w/benefits
Asst. Marketing Director $35,000 w/benefits
Gender Equity Concerns Costs: $0.5-1.5 million annually
The addition of 85 male student-athletes would need to be countered with the addition of about 100 female student-athletes in order to meet
the proportionality test. [COLOR=red]$[B]1.1 million*[/B] for 100 female scholarships[/COLOR]
$0.5-1.5 million + 1.1 = [B]$1.6-2.6 million[/B]

([COLOR=#ff0000]My personal adjustments are in red)[/COLOR]

So a ballpark calculation for football would be:

$3.4 million for football + 0.5-1.5 million for Title IX sport(s) = $3.9-4.9 million
Support Staff = $300,000

Total Annual Expenses: [B]$4.2-5.2 million[/B]

$1.33 million - tickets
$1.075 million - game guarantees

Total Annual Revenue: [B]$2.405 million[/B]
(The memo’s $1.5 million with the $87 increase in student fees is NOT included in my calcs.)

Scholarships = 935,000 (MEN)+ 1.1 million (WOMEN) = $2.035 million
Per NCAA requirements, 90% of scholarships must be funded to compete at the Division 1A level
Required Donations = $2.035 million x .9 = $[B]1,830,000***[/B]
(This does not include out-of-state partial scholarships)
[B]***[/B]Scholarships must be funded by donations. Scholarships CANNOT be funded by football revenue or with student fees.

Office Space / Training Room expansion / Weight Room expansion Costs: Unknown ($5-7 million?) - one-time

Revenue - Expenses = Difference
(4.2M to 5.2M) - 2.035M = Difference
-2.165M to -3.165M = Difference

[I]Using the $87/student = $1.5 million ratio, [/I]

-$2,165,000 = approximately $125/per student
-$3,165,000 = approximately $185/per student

[U]Therefore, football would require an increase of $125-185 in student fees.[/U]

[U]Football will require $1,830,000 in donations for scholarships in order to be Division 1A eligible[/U]

All that remains are the one-time fees for the Office Space / Training Room expansion / Weight Room expansion.

Am I reading the numbers right?

with out of state counting as instate with sports we would save 280,000 dollars from that calculation. Not to mention the savings we would generate from other sports.

You can lower the scholarship costs at least $280,000. All scholarships would be at the in-state rate thanks to recent legistation designed to help schools with football teams. Time for us to take advantage of it.

[SIZE=5]ECHO[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]Echo[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]echo[/SIZE]

great minds

Thanks. I made some corrections to my post. I estimated $11,000/year for in-state tuition. Is that about right?

I understand that football will take time. I understand that the administration wants to take its time with football. However, the clock didnt start this summer. We have wanted football for quite sometime now. There should be things in place that this shouldnt be a groundbreaking issue. The clock has been ticking, and the snooze button is wearing out.

Thanks. I made some corrections to my post. I estimated $11,000/year for in-state tuition. Is that about right?

In-state tuition and fees total less than $4000 annually.

[QUOTE=Noreaster;192637]In-state tuition and fees total less than $4000 annually.[/QUOTE]

Room and board is included in the athletic scholarships

Room and board is included in the athletic scholarships
Then double it to $8000-$8500.
In-state tuition and fees total less than $4000 annually.

I’ve been trying to figure this out. Darren Spease wrote:

Scholarships (Charlotte): $1,172,500 Based on 85 scholarships (57 in-state @ $10,500 / 28 out-of-state @ $20,500)

Is the $10,500 a yearly amount for a scholarship plus additional expenses?
Or is it the total 4 year amount? ($2,625 x 4 years = 10,500)?

Does anyone know?

EDIT - nevermind - I type too slow.
I’ll keep the $11k figure, but I acknowledge that it may be a bit on the high side.

thats another 212,500