NinerReport.com: Michael Beasley to Charlotte

Apparently he gave us a verbal. He was also considering Syracuse. More to come.

NinerReport.com: Beasley verbals

Beasley discussion in recruiting forum

Lefty, I’m really surprised by this. Doesn’t he know that the Niners are going to be a mid-major program after this season… :rolleyes:

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Sep 2 2004, 03:34 PM [b] Apparently he gave us a verbal. He was also considering Syracuse. More to come.

NinerReport.com: Beasley verbals

Beasley discussion in recruiting forum [/b]

Wow, that’s an early commitment. Let’s hope it holds up and he pans out. If so, great get for our program!

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Sep 2 2004, 03:53 PM [b] Lefty, I'm really surprised by this. Doesn't he know that the Niners are going to be a mid-major program after this season... :rolleyes: [/b]
Lefty is planning on becoming his guardian and fending off the undesirables for the next few years.

Guess recruiting is really going to take a dive. :rolleyes:

Sweetness. That should help recruiting from this millisecond to the day he signs so long as nothing changes. Wonder what had him sold on these two programs, and ultimately us.

Mike P, is this a big enough name for your recruiting reporters to actually notice?

Sorry…but I just can’t get excited about big time recruits anymore. Rodney leaves after one year, Iti tried to leave after one year and this Beasley kid seems so hot he may never play college ball (Dominating 6’9" Highschool Sophomores go pro now).

This is the same reason I’m not too disappointed in losing Gee.

I would rather sign a bunch of moderately rated kids that have heart, desire, passion, a strong work ethic and a TEAM first attitude (see ya Grier).

I could be wrong, but this year’s team could be our best ever…and we have NO highly recruited talent (except Iti…uh…OK). We have a bunch of moderately rated kids with Heart, Desire, Passion, a Strong Work Ethic and a TEAM first attitude (see Basden, Withers, Plav, Baldwin, Sager, etc).

I think that’s what I’ll enjoy most about watching this team win this year…because they are good kids that deserve success because they will play hard, play together and most importantly…as a TEAM.

KTown, I agree with you in principle, but I like the hype factor.
Hopefully it makes more players think “Wow, something must be going on in Charlotte.” or something to that effect.

Even better if he plays a season.

My gut wants me to think he’ll never show up —> NBA.

But who knows, look what just happened at the Olympics.
Also it’s weird he was only considering two schools. Why consider any? Why not consider them all?

You never know.

I wouldn’t get too excited till he signs a letter of Intent. Ask Wake Forest fans how excited they are now about Chris Leak commiting to them as a 8th grader.

If it happen it will be incredible, But it’s a long time till 2008.

you can factor in that after this seasons failures of early entries there may be more look to adding a rule to make players have a certain age before entering the draft.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Sep 2 2004, 07:05 PM [b]I wouldn't get too excited till he signs a letter of Intent. Ask Wake Forest fans how excited they are now about Chris Leak commiting to them as a 8th grader.

If it happen it will be incredible, But it’s a long time till 2008.[/b]

Good point, that is the view I am taking on this, but just so you know, he’s now listed as a 2007 recruit. Still too far away to get too excited about, just lettinig you know.

But I agree with NLP, that’s just one more pitch we have for our recruits in the next 3 seasons. People are going to wonder why a guy that good committed so early to Charlotte, it will get other kids interested in what’s going on here. The only possible downside is that he goes to another school, that would hurt us,. If he goes to the NBA then oh well, we were #1 on the list of a guy picked in the 1st round of the draft, good reputation boost for us, but if he goes to another school then it will be viewed as us LOOSING him. We had him commited so early, how did we let him slip away? ect…

It’s definitely a good boost for our reputation, i looked on rivals list for 06 and 07, out of those two classes only ONE player listed had verballed. Getting a commitment this early will get people talking, which is never bad.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Sep 2 2004, 06:19 PM [b] Hopefully it makes more players think "Wow, something must be going on in Charlotte." or something to that effect. [/b]
I agree with that statement, 100 %. His verbal helps us continue to attract attention from the top players in the country.

Charlotte is a basketball school, earning a major reputation for winning year-in, year-out and making the tournament. We need one big year to put us over the top, IMO. We can become a “basketball factory”.

-Up and coming city and university (NFL & NBA help with image)
-Excellent facilities and home floor.
-Wide-open offense (as long as you get back on defense)
-Versatile forwards are given leeway for inside-outside play

Beasley is from DC area. I assume Dalonte is in good with him. We’ll see what happens.

Good info over at the recruiting forum. Sounds like a Big East/A-10 kid to me.

From a recent Washington Post story:

Beasley grew up near Riverdale. He went to the IMG Basketball Academy in Bradenton, Fla., last year but recently decided to come home for high school.

With the victory, Riverdale Baptist earned a spot in the national tournament, to be played next weekend at Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia.

“This sets the tone for what we’re going to do during the season,” said rising senior point guard Kenny Burkes.

I agree about the Rodney White remark in that I too was extremely disappointed he left…but we were a much better program and a great season with him than without him.

The Rodney White Era (blip) was worth it to me if the only victory was the drubbing we dropped on NCSU. We also got to stick it to USC, make Satterfield cry while winning a tourney championship, and shut up Ron Slay.

Totally worth it. Totally.

We do a good job filling the PF position:

Rodney White - 1st team CUSA, 1st team freshmen all-american
Cam Stephens - 2nd team CUSA (was he 1st team ?, he dominated the position in league play his sr. year)
Curtis Withers - 1st team CUSA, all-american or soon to be
Beasley -

[i]Originally posted by amnesiac[/i]@Sep 3 2004, 08:47 AM [b] We do a good job filling the PF position:

Rodney White - 1st team CUSA, 1st team freshmen all-american
Cam Stephens - 2nd team CUSA (was he 1st team ?, he dominated the position in league play his sr. year)
Curtis Withers - 1st team CUSA, all-american or soon to be
Beasley - [/b]

Donte Cunningham (6’9") could be the next one, 2005. Then, Keith Clark in 2006. Then Beasley. Although Clark and Beasley could play either forward spot.

Cam was 2nd team all-Conference USA in 2002.

First team: Reece Gaines, Louisville; Steve Logan, Cincinnati; Jobey Thomas, Charlotte; Dwayne Wade, Marquette; Dajuan Wagner, Memphis; Kelly Wise, Memphis

Second team: Junior Blount, TCU; Cordell Henry Marquette; Altron Jackson, USF; Marque Perry, Saint Louis; Cam Stephens, Charlotte

Third team: Brandon Brown, Tulans; Will Campbell, UAB; Elvin Mims, Southern Miss; Leonard Stokes, Cincinnati; Louis Truscott, Houston; B.B. Waldon, USF

Do we have a good shot at Cunningham, they say he is a power guy who can score ?

He would be a good one to get for next year.

Maryland and Georgetown are his top 2. But we are in the mix.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Sep 3 2004, 02:41 PM [b] Maryland and Georgetown are his top 2. But are in the mix. [/b]
Georgetown has deemphasized basketball & Maryland is on the verge of being in a has-been conference for basketball.

We still have a chance.

B) B) B)