Niners to play 3 games in Canada in October

[i]Originally posted by gutta561[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 02:47 PM [b] Alabama is not going to be easythey are better and don't think that Charlotte has better talent than Alabama, dont forget this is was a elite 8 team. You will have to work for your points and they will get Iti in foul trouble. [/b]
I don't think anyone is taking the Alabama game for granted. The last time I checked, it was the most anticipated game on JCL's poll. I believe they will enter the season with a top 10-15 preseason ranking. I wanna beat them in the worst way, but I know it'll be tough.

What in the hell is a Gryphon? :blink:

Not taking the Bama game lightly either. That game will be huge and even more so if we’re 4-0 when we play them. Not looking past Valpo though, who will be a very tough out on their home court. I know someone will create the annual prediction thread soon, but my crystal ball is showing an 9-2 record going into conference play.

[b]What in the hell is a Gryphon? [/b]

Courtesy of die.net Gryphon Defined

:thumbsup:

gryphon
n : winged monster with an eagle-like head and body of a lion
[syn: griffin]

aka Griffin \Grif"fin, Griffon \Grif"fon, n. [OE. griffin,
griffon, griffoun, F. griffon, fr. L. gryphus, equiv to
gryps, Gr. ?; – so called because of the hooked beak, and
akin to grypo`s curved, hook-nosed.]

1. (Myth.) A fabulous monster, half lion and half eagle. It
    is often represented in Grecian and Roman works of art.

2. (Her.) A representation of this creature as an heraldic
    charge.

3. (Zo["o]l.) A species of large vulture (Gyps fulvus)
    found in the mountainous parts of Southern Europe, North
    Africa, and Asia Minor; – called also gripe, and
    grype. It is supposed to be the ``eagle’’ of the Bible.
    The bearded griffin is the lammergeir. [Written also
    gryphon.]

[i]Originally posted by NinerFan[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 01:46 PM [b]What is our record against team from Indiana, 0-8 or something. I don't take any game for granted against an Indiana team, or one from St Louis for that matter.[/b]
I'm not saying take it for granted, but we are a better team than them. Past history and things like that shouldn't matter, we are better than them and we should expect to go in there and win. Rutgers is solid too, but we should expect to win that game too. It's like people here refuse to believe that we can be a top 25 team, they are making excuses months in advance. Looking at our schedule compared to our talent and all the returning players from last year(and their success) the only teams I think that can beat us are Bama, Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, Marquette, UAB and Depaul. We won't lose all of those games, but we won't win the rest of them either, that's they way our seasons always work. We just shouldn't go into the season bracing for a possible loss at Indiana(remember, they didn't even make the NIT last year...) or against Rutgers or Valpo. If you think we have a very good team this year, you should expect wins in games like those.

We can’t take any game for granted(see last year!), but there are a LOT of games on our schedule we SHOULD win. And the only one in our OOC sched I think we will be facing an equal or better opponant is Alabama, we are just more talented than the other 10 teams we play before January and it seems like some people just don’t want to believe that for some reason. We have a good team, raise your expectations a little, we aren’t a one and done team this year, we are good enough to win the CUSA regular season championship and tourny and we are good enough to make more than a small dent in the NCAA tourny.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 03:08 PM [b] What in the hell is a Gryphon? :blink:

[/b]

My, and I believe Jason Jordan’s high school mascot was the gryphon.

And, who wants to bet that we lose one of those games in Canada. Those kids don’t look like they can ball, but niether did Italy or Argentina!

We need to send a special Niner Nation Forums correspondant up to those games, so we can get the early scoop on the team, box scores etc…

So I take it we are not doing the Green/White scrimmage we did last year? I haven’t heard anything about it…

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 07:59 AM [b] 10/9 York University, Toronto 10/10 Humber College, Toronto 10/11 University of Guelph, Guelph, ONT (62 miles west of Toronto) [/b]
I hope Coach Lutz is back in time for the Alumni tournament (Oct 13). He missed it last year because of the NCAA Code of Conduct meeting.

I read in the Sporting News that several teams played in Canada over Labor day. Florida was headed for the Bahamas until the Hurricanes came through. But it also mentioned that teams taking tours outside of the country are allowed up to 10 practices. Does anyone know the details of this. 10 practices and 3 games is huge!