NIT - #5 Seed

If you have twc then all you need is your account info and its free to watch. Also, if anyone can’t be near a computer for the time of the game, you can download the “watch espn” app for free and watch it on your phone/tablet as well.

I’m not sure if direct tv or dish customers get espn3 or watch espn for free though.

Is Henry going to play?

Without him, I don’t see much chance of winning, though as always I’d love to be proven wrong about that. With him playing, have a chance, if only because they are bad at shooting 3’s. Cotton is their good 3 shooter, though he looks like quite a good scorer. Still, what’s been killing the D is rotating to a good 3 shooter, only to leave another one open. Thought the team played Richmond pretty well in that regard, SLU less so due to trouble with the interior screens freeing up someone on the perimeter.

A little worried about their height down low (particularly Batts) and it being their home court (Niners will get called for a lot of fouls). I think Providence seems like a pretty good team, they just had a rough OOC. Since then appear to be playing better.

[quote=“9erken, post:22, topic:27616”]Is Henry going to play?

Without him, I don’t see much chance of winning, though as always I’d love to be proven wrong about that. With him playing, have a chance, if only because they are bad at shooting 3’s. Cotton is their good 3 shooter, though he looks like quite a good scorer. Still, what’s been killing the D is rotating to a good 3 shooter, only to leave another one open. Thought the team played Richmond pretty well in that regard, SLU less so due to trouble with the interior screens freeing up someone on the perimeter.

A little worried about their height down low (particularly Batts) and it being their home court (Niners will get called for a lot of fouls). I think Providence seems like a pretty good team, they just had a rough OOC. Since then appear to be playing better.[/quote]

Henry will be playing.

I won’t be as concerned about the record, but I think maintaining momentum and the NCAA’s need to be the next logical step. However, knowing how our off seasons go I’ll wait until late September/October to set any kind of expectations.

Providence is a .500 team in the Big East, which is arguable the best league in the country so they shouldn’t be taken lightly because they lost some early season games to BC and a few others. They did reel off 7 of 8 in the conference formerly known as the Big East.

I won’t be as concerned about the record, but I think maintaining momentum and the NCAA’s need to be the next logical step. However, knowing how our off seasons go I’ll wait until late September/October to set any kind of expectations.

Providence is a .500 team in the Big East, which is arguable the best league in the country so they shouldn’t be taken lightly because they lost some early season games to BC and a few others. They did reel off 7 of 8 in the conference formerly known as the Big East.[/quote]

Actually Providence’s conference will still be known as the Big East; confusing, I know.

[quote=“Basden05, post:18, topic:27616”]I thought there would be a bit more excitement about this game seeing as we haven’t made a post season tournament in years.

I gotta say, pretty bad matchup for us. It wasn’t too long ago the Friars had won seven of eight in Big East play. Apart from their last lost to Cincinnati, they had won five of their previous seven home games, with the only losses coming against Pitt by 4 and UConn in overtime by three.

I see us losing by double digits unfortunately.[/quote]

Maybe, your first statement is answered by your last.

[quote=“jfickett, post:19, topic:27616”]The NIT is obviously not the ultimate goal for the program, but I will take it as a sign of progress. We easily could have mailed in the entire season after the St. Bon loss, but for whatever reason we decided to finish strong and that was encouraging.

I don’t know much about Providence, but I suspect we can probably win if we play the way we did in the second half against Richmond. A win or two in the NIT would be great experience for our team, and hopefully give them some confidence going into the off season.

10-20, 13-17, now 21-11 (NIT).

Year four needs to be ~26-7 (NCAA). That is the logical next step and we must take it.[/quote]
Agree.
Our goal is not the NIT. But for me NIT was what I was expecting as a minimum requirement to show progress for this team. We were also on the cusp of the dance before our 4 game skid.
Team showed positive improvement over the year, rebounded from 4 straight losses and played way into post season. I’ll take that. If we’re not dancing next year, it will be step back and cause for reevaluation of Major as coach.

What concerns me about next year is that we are gonna have to win the CUSA tournament to dance next year; unless we completely change the way we schedule in the non-conference season. Need to start taking on anybody on the road like Xavier, Temple, Gonzaga and (to a lesser degree) Davidson have done.

Davidson’s OC schedule does them NO good. In years they have not won their tourney they did NOT get an at large bid.

Can/will Picasso’s show the ESPN3 broadcast of our game?

I agree we need to start scheduling tougher but the new CUSA will not be a one-bid league on average they should 5-6 Top 100 teams.

That’s because they never win those games. If they had beaten Duke, Gonzaga and New Mexico they would surely get an at large. I also said “to a lesser degree” because I don’t think they schedule enough of those games. Temple and Xavier play a ton of good teams in the non-conference.

This year, X played Butler (previously scheduled non-conference game), @Purdue, Vandy, Cincy (neutral site) , @Tenn, and @Wake. So 6 tough resume building non-conference games.

Now some of those programs are down this year, but typically those games help a resume. Sometimes the committee will just give you extra credit for trying to challenge yourself, whether or not the teams you played were up to the standard tradition of the program. X didn’t win enough of them this year to get an at-large, but are always in the mix because of scheduling like this.

Temple played 4 good games (down from previous years) @Nova, Duke (in NJ), Syracuse (MSG), and @Kansas. They won half of those and were considered locks for the NCAAs for most of the season.

Gonzaga played 5 Big 12 schools and beat them all. But lost to Illinois and Butler. Played a soft conference schdule (St Mary’s only other decent team), blew through it and got a 1 seed.

The formula is pretty simple. Schedule 5-6 big games, win 2 or 3, win most of your sorry conference games and you will look pretty for the committee.

I just have a feeling CUSA will not get that respect, numbers be darned. There won’t be a marquee program to give it validity.

I just have a feeling CUSA will not get that respect, numbers be darned. There won’t be a marquee program to give it validity.[/quote]

One way to look at this fact is that someone has the opportunity to become the marquee program.

I just have a feeling CUSA will not get that respect, numbers be darned. There won’t be a marquee program to give it validity.[/quote]

CUSA will have a marquee program, and it will be the Charlotte 49ers.

Mark it down!

Unfortunately this will probably be the last year we are even in the discussion for an at large bid. (We were in the discussion at one time earlier in the season). CUSA is going to be a one bid league. We better win the conf. tourney to get into NCAA tourney.

I do not expect much from our NIT appearance. We are 12-11 since our 9-0 start. Depends on which team shows up. I see us losing in another possible blowout.

Not to mention, it is very disappointing seeing all the NCAA tournament hoopla and we have not been there in such a long time. Sad.

We won’t be in this version of CUSA for life guys… Relax.

Providence is a .500 team in the Big East, which is arguable the best league in the country so they shouldn’t be taken lightly because they lost some early season games to BC and a few others. They did reel off 7 of 8 in the conference formerly known as the Big East.[/quote]

Actually Providence’s conference will still be known as the Big East; confusing, I know.[/quote]

Known only by name, not stature was my point with the comment.

Pretty sad that some of our fans are acting like we are moving to the SoCon, New CUSA > The Remaining A10.

[quote=“jfickett, post:19, topic:27616”]The NIT is obviously not the ultimate goal for the program, but I will take it as a sign of progress. We easily could have mailed in the entire season after the St. Bon loss, but for whatever reason we decided to finish strong and that was encouraging.

I don’t know much about Providence, but I suspect we can probably win if we play the way we did in the second half against Richmond. A win or two in the NIT would be great experience for our team, and hopefully give them some confidence going into the off season.

10-20, 13-17, now 21-11 (NIT).

Year four needs to be ~26-7 (NCAA). That is the logical next step and we must take it.[/quote]