NNN Motorcycle riders?

Every spring I do this and every spring it seems as if I am the only NNN member that rides a motorcycle. So again I am checking to see if there are any NNN motorcycle riders out here. I would love to combine motorcycle riding with NNN. If ya have a bike hit me up and maybe we can go for a ride! For the record I have a Harley and a sportbike so any type is welcome!

Glad to see your the only one with a death wish. Sell your motorcycle and take up smoking instead…

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;227120]Glad to see your the only one with a death wish. Sell your motorcycle and take up smoking instead…[/QUOTE]

Motorcycle riding is dangerous… but not near as dangerous as people make it out to be. Not all, but most motorcycle accidents involve the rider riding beyond their abilities, being drunk or illegal substances being used, or all three. I ride conservatively and wear all my gear all the time. It does not remove all the risk, but it does remove a lot of it. To equate smoking to riding is a lack of understanding and knowledge of the motorcycle industry. Is riding a bike more dangerous than a car? Yes. Is driving a car more dangerous than sitting at home? Yes. Is eating a burger less healthy than a salad? Yes. Everything in life involves an amount of risk, but the risk of riding a motorcycle is not near as high as you believe. I find your response narrow minded and uninformed.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;227137]Motorcycle riding is dangerous… but not near as dangerous as people make it out to be. Not all, but most motorcycle accidents involve the rider riding beyond their abilities, being drunk or illegal substances being used, or both. I ride conservatively and wear all my gear all the time. It does not remove all the risk, but it does remove a lot of it. To equate smoking to riding is a lack of understanding and knowledge of the motorcycle industry. Is riding a bike more dangerous than a car? Yes. Is driving a car more dangerous than sitting at home? Yes. Is eating a burger less healthy than a salad? Yes. Everything in life involves an amount of risk, but the risk of riding a motorcycle is not near as high as you believe. I find your response narrow minded and uninformed.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think the problem is the motorcyle drivers, I think it the car drivers being on the same road a motorcycle drivers. I think if eveyone has motorcycles that would be fine, but cars and motorcycles is a deadly mix. Car beats motorcycle all day long. I don’t have a problem if anyone wants to ride a motorcycle, it is certainly your right. It just seems that more often than not it ends very badly. Your a single guy, do what you want, but when my best friend with 3 kids goes out a rides his motorcycle I think he is being a irresponsible jackass.

But hey, maybe I’m just narrow minded and uninformed. All I know is I’m in the round of 32 and your sitting at home…

I do not currently own, but have owned a Honda CBR 600. I never laid it down, and was never in an accident. The worst that happened was the first day I owned it, I ‘dropped’ it on its side while sitting at a stop sign on a steep hill.

Motorcycles are dangerous, but so is anything else that is fun. Ride safe, and you will most likely be safe. That said, I wish I had a bike to ride with you, and if you ever want to ride and let me take out your sport bike, I will be game.

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;227140]But hey, maybe I’m just narrow minded and uniformed. All I know is I’m in the round of 32 and your sitting at home…[/QUOTE]

Exactly what kind of uniform are you wearing? Baseball uniform? Police uniform? Catholic school uniform? :wow:

[QUOTE=Max Power;227143]Exactly what kind of uniform are you wearing? Baseball uniform? Police uniform? Catholic school uniform? :wow: [/QUOTE]
Loser…

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;227140]
But hey, maybe I’m just narrow minded and uninformed. All I know is I’m in the round of 32 and your sitting at home…[/QUOTE]

Oooooooo in the round of 32 in a message board poster tourny… when are the ESPN highlights for that again?

And for the record once I am married with children I will continue to ride a motorcycle. It makes me no more of a jackass than people that like to go camping or hiking or whitewater rafting or skiing or any number of things. I could die tomorrow walking accross the street. Come to think of it driving up and down from Winston to Niner games increases the chances that you will die a violent highway death. Maybe you should stop?

[QUOTE=WBNiner;227155]Oooooooo in the round of 32 in a message board poster tourny… when are the ESPN highlights for that again?

And for the record once I am married with children I will continue to ride a motorcycle. It makes me no more of a jackass than people that like to go camping or hiking or whitewater rafting or skiing or any number of things. I could die tomorrow walking accross the street. Come to think of it driving up and down from Winston to Niner games increases the chances that you will die a violent highway death. Maybe you should stop?[/QUOTE]

If we have many more seasons like this season, I probably will…

I had one. Never wrecked or anything. I dropped it once getting off it. Drive smart and you’ll be ok. I used to have a YZF600. I still have my license, I might look into getting back into it

[QUOTE=Gill2003;227177]I had one. Never wrecked or anything. I dropped it once getting off it. Drive smart and you’ll be ok. I used to have a YZF600. I still have my license, I might look into getting back into it[/QUOTE]

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! With gas as high as it is it is well worth it!

LoL, well I loved hearing my exhaust rip. I didnt save much gas at 13000rpm

[QUOTE=Gill2003;227202]LoL, well I loved hearing my exhaust rip. I didnt save much gas at 13000rpm[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah… I imagine you were eating up whatever gas savings you were having. I like to hear my Harley rumble.

I had a DD exhaust. You could hear it from a mile away. Sounded like open headers. on a harley.

With all due respect, being careful while riding a motorcycle doesn’t have all that much to do with it. The problem is car drivers don’t pay enough attention to motorcycles on the road. My brothers own em, but the closest I’ll ever get to one is a convertible. I love my Cooper S convertible, it’s been great weather for it lately…

Driving Smart is different then driving careful.

There are alot of little things a motorcyclist can do to prevent being a victim. Stuff like wearing bright clothes and not driving really fast.

The reason why drivers hit motorcyclist so much is there small and not as visible. Add in speeding and passing, its hard enough to avoid hitting a speeding car which you dont notice cause of their speed. A motorcycle it is almost impossible to avoid. Simple things also like, staying away from cars. I see motorcyclist all the time hugging a car as they pass them. If your in the far left of your lane, you will be able to avoid being hit.

Honestly, speaking from experience, I felt safer on a motorcycle. I had the stopping power and accleration to stay away from the emergency room. Yeah a few times I got cut off, but I did everything by the book and there was no danger. I have more near incidents in a car then I ever did on a motorcycle. Maybe I was just lucky.

I definitely plan on owning a bike (HD) later in life but there’s no way in hell it would be driven during the work week, nor would it be driven in or around Charlotte. I’d own it for the sole purpose of just getting out of town on nice weather day and heading somewhere that’s very light in traffic. It would be my source of escape from the hustle/bustle of places like Charlotte one or two times a month. Sure, I know it’s still very dangerous even for those purposes. But it’s definitely safer than riding them as a means of commuting or every day transportation. I see people driving sport bikes up 485/77 during morning commutes with back packs on, on their way to work. To me, that’s just a death wish.

And I respect the right to own a sport bike but personally, I just see no point in it because 90% of the people I see on them, completely abuse them. They’re built for speed and that’s why most people buy them. I’ve seen way too many idiots on one wheel at 100mph on 485 and weaving in/out of traffic at over 100mph. I also knew a guy who wrecked his sport bike a few years ago on 485 East, just shy of 74. To this day, his family still puts a little cross in the median where his body slid into the wiring at around 80mph, ripping his body apart. He was around 23 when they buried him. There wasn’t a single car around him when he wrecked. He was just misusing the bike. No, I’m not saying everyone who owns a sport bike drives irresponsibly. But I’d be willing to bet everyone has pushed the envelope at least once or twice. There’s no way you can buy a bike like that and drive it all the time, like you would a Harley. The temptation to get on it is just too strong.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;227241]I definitely plan on owning a bike (HD) later in life but there’s no way in hell it would be driven during the work week, nor would it be driven in or around Charlotte. I’d own it for the sole purpose of just getting out of town on nice weather day and heading somewhere that’s very light in traffic. It would be my source of escape from the hustle/bustle of places like Charlotte one or two times a month. Sure, I know it’s still very dangerous even for those purposes. But it’s definitely safer than riding them as a means of commuting or every day transportation. I see people driving sport bikes up 485/77 during morning commutes with back packs on, on their way to work. To me, that’s just a death wish.

And I respect the right to own a sport bike but personally, I just see no point in it because 90% of the people I see on them, completely abuse them. They’re built for speed and that’s why most people buy them. I’ve seen way too many idiots on one wheel at 100mph on 485 and weaving in/out of traffic at over 100mph. I also knew a guy who wrecked his sport bike a few years ago on 485 East, just shy of 74. To this day, his family still puts a little cross in the median where his body slid into the wiring at around 80mph, ripping his body apart. He was around 23 when they buried him. There wasn’t a single car around him when he wrecked. He was just misusing the bike. No, I’m not saying everyone who owns a sport bike drives irresponsibly. But I’d be willing to bet everyone has pushed the envelope at least once or twice. There’s no way you can buy a bike like that and drive it all the time, like you would a Harley. The temptation to get on it is just too strong.[/QUOTE]

That is like saying there is no way to own a sportscar without driving like an idiot. The people that ride wreckless on a motorcycle die, not because they are on a bike, but because they are idiots. Doing 100 on one wheel is insane. I have a sportbike, have never done a wheelie, went north of 100 twice once to get around a big rig and again to get around an idiot in a BMW (would have done the same thing had I been in a car on both occasions) and I have been riding a sportsbike for almost 5 years. As I said before MOST motorcycle accidents happen because the rider was riding in a fashion that heightened the chances of an accident, such as going too fast or as Gill said not maintaining proper distances. Everytime someone tells me (blank) died in a motorcycle accident… I ask how? They then proceed to tell me he was doing a wheelie at a 100 and ran into the back of a truck… well that has NOTHING to do with the bike being unsafe and everything to do with the rider being a idiot. I ride my bike to work up 85 all the time and I ride it to the mountains and the beach and all around town. I have taken the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class and learned the right way to ride a bike. Riding a bike is all about the rider, safe riders will be fairly safe on the bike, unsafe riders will most likely die, but that can be said of a lot of things in life.

[QUOTE=ninermac;227234]With all due respect, being careful while riding a motorcycle doesn’t have all that much to do with it. The problem is car drivers don’t pay enough attention to motorcycles on the road. My brothers own em, but the closest I’ll ever get to one is a convertible. I love my Cooper S convertible, it’s been great weather for it lately…[/QUOTE]

Your Cooper S is a very small car… makes it hard for people to see you, trust me I know, I own an MG. So it is safe to say that a transfer truck would have more difficulty seeing you than seeing a Ford Explorer, but you know that an accept the chance that you are more likely to be in an accident. To counter that I am sure you keep in mind that you are in a smaller car and act accordingly. Riding a bike is just like that. You can not change the habits of other drivers, but you can through your own control lower the risk that you have. You also mentioned that you love the Cooper, that is great and you are willing to deal with the risk based on the fact that you enjoy it, just like a motorcycle rider is willing to deal with the risk based on love of motorcycling.

I wanted nothing more to get a sportbike for as long as I can remember until the day I realized I was the idiot you’ve been discussing who would ride his bike at 100 while popping a wheelie. I just know I couldn’t resist the temptation, so therefore, I gave up the dream.

That, and my uncle performed an autopsy on a fellow who lost his head on a sapling when he came off his bike.

That is like saying there is no way to own a sportscar without driving like an idiot.
Show me a person who owns a high performance sports car and I'll show you a person who has driven it like an idiot at least once.
I have a sportbike, have never done a wheelie, went north of 100 twice once to get around a big rig and again to get around an idiot in a BMW (would have done the same thing had I been in a car on both occasions) and I have been riding a sportsbike for almost 5 years.
And you hold true to my assumption that anyone who owns a sport bike has pushed the envelope at least once or twice. Doing over 100mph on a sport bike to pass a big rig sounds just as dangerous as popping a wheelie at 100mph with no cars around. And because someone was an idiot in a vehicle is no excuse to overuse the bike. You knew you had the power under you to blast by the BMW and you couldn't resist doing so. Wouldn't have taken but one quick lane merge by another driver who wasn't paying attention to have ended your life.
I ride my bike to work up 85 all the time and I ride it to the mountains and the beach and all around town.

And statistics prove that you are at a much higer risk of dying in a motor vehicle related accident than those driving cars. To each their own, but you’re asking for an early grave by driving a sport bike around Charlotte all the time. And that statement doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with your driving skills.

I have taken the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class and learned the right way to ride a bike.
Which means absolutely nothing unless every single person driving a car takes a "motorcycle awareness" class. You can take all the classes you want and ride a bike the correct way. But you can't always protect yourself from people in cars who may instigate the accident. And the fact is that if a bike and a car collide, the biker will lose that battle 99.9% of the time.

Look, I’m not trying to knock what you do for pleasure. I say to each their own. I eat a buttload of red meat, used to smoke a pack of cigs a day, dig my share of drugs in high school/college, etc. So I’ve put myself at risk and I do so every day when I get in my car. But you simply cannot deny that bikers are far more prone to die on the roads than drivers of automobiles. And sometimes, there is just simply nothing you can do to prevent it. You can help your odds but you are still more likely to die each day you ride than those of us in cars are.

And like I said, I hope to own a HD one day so I’m not anti-bike. I’m just not a big fan of sports bikes because I think they’re marketed towards a certain type of riding and one that I don’t find to be very responsible. JMO…