North Carolina getting screwed in new Stimulus Package

[URL]http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-STIMULUS0109.html[/URL]

Are you kidding me? 44th in total, per capita funding.

On top of that, I can provide many links where our roads are some of the worst in the nation, so what is our infrastructure/transportation funding per capita? DEAD LAST.

I don’t like the amount of spending we are taking on, but would at least like a fair piece of it if it is going to happen regardless.

[URL]http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-STIMULUS0109.html[/URL]

Are you kidding me?

44th in per capita funding.

On top of that, I can provide many links where our roads are some of the worst in the nation, so what is our infrastructure/transportation funding per capita? DEAD LAST.

Well, at least all the students that go to charlotte are used to getting the short end of the stick on funding.

Of course Illinois is pretty high up there.

Well, at least all the students that go to charlotte are used to getting the short end of the stick on funding.
Which is worse? 16th out of 16? Or 44th out of 50? Neither is good.

NC went blue right? For the first time in how long?

Not like Raleigh would have allowed any of that stimulus to make its way this far west anyway.

some of our elected nc representatives and senators in washington have been more interested in special interests than bringing back home our fair share of funding.

Haha, Obama voters!

Are you kidding me? 44th in total, per capita funding.

I don’t like the amount of spending we are taking on, but would at least like a fair piece of it if it is going to happen regardless.

It looks like the differences between states isn’t all that bad though on a per capita basis. It’d be a lot worse if the average was say, $250/person and NC was getting $150/person.

Edit: removed some partisan asshattery. i shouldn’t go there.

[QUOTE=NLP;381136]It looks like the differences between states isn’t all that bad though on a per capita basis. It’d be a lot worse if the average was say, $250/person and NC was getting $150/person. [/QUOTE]

That’s what I was thinking. I wish our transportation and infrastructure number was higher, but I wouldn’t say NC in particular is getting screwed. The whole country may be getting screwed by this deal, but that’s another story.

[QUOTE=Max Power;381143]That’s what I was thinking. I wish our transportation and infrastructure number was higher, but I wouldn’t say NC in particular is getting screwed. The whole country may be getting screwed by this deal, but that’s another story.[/QUOTE]

NC is only getting $820 million out of this package for infrastructure/highway improvements. That won’t go very far with today’s material prices. The new Bonner bridge at the outer banks is estimated to be more than that by itself. It won’t be built with this money, but I’m just using it as a reference to what this money is/is not going to buy versus addressing the needs across the state. Only $100 billion in highway/infrastructure funding for the U.S. is included in the package.

[URL=http://www.ncdot.org/projects/bonnerbridgerepairs/][B][U][COLOR=Blue]NCDOT.org: Bonner Bridge[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

every taxpayer is getting screwed with this plan.

[QUOTE=X-49er;381147]NC is only getting $820 million out of this package for infrastructure/highway improvements. That won’t go very far with today’s material prices. The new Bonner bridge at the outer banks is estimated to be more than that by itself. It won’t be built with this money, but I’m just using it as a reference to what this money is/is not going to buy versus addressing the needs across the state. Only $100 billion in highway/infrastructure funding for the U.S. is included in the package.

[URL=http://www.ncdot.org/projects/bonnerbridgerepairs/][B][U][COLOR=Blue]NCDOT.org: Bonner Bridge[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL][/QUOTE]

I didn’t say it would go very far… just that it didn’t look to me like we are getting “screwed.”

Not sure where you got the $820M number… the website linked in the first post says $996M. The Bonner Bridge is a massive project so it is hard to use that as a measuring stick of how far the money will go. Prices for most materials and labor are much lower than they were 1 year ago at this time… we’ll see.

The stimulus money isn’t meant to repair every bridge and road in the state, just get the ball rolling and create some jobs. Hopefully it does more good than harm… we’ll see.

[QUOTE=Max Power;381150]I didn’t say it would go very far… just that it didn’t look to me like we are getting “screwed.” [/QUOTE]

Oh, I don’t think we are either. The infrastructure might be, though.

[QUOTE=Max Power;381150]The stimulus money isn’t meant to repair every bridge and road in the state, just get the ball rolling and create some jobs. Hopefully it does more good than harm… we’ll see.[/QUOTE]

It sure can’t do any harm, but since the money is not going very far I don’t think it’s going to create that many jobs over the long haul or repair that many bridges/roads. We’ll see who gets what once the money is doled out.

It looks like the differences between states isn't all that bad though on a per capita basis. It'd be a lot worse if the average was say, $250/person and NC was getting $150/person.
The difference is more along $12 per capita from the median. Then take that the average state has 4 million people, so that means if we'd get closer to the median, it'd mean $50 million for this state.

That could mean 6-8 new schools in this state for example.

screwed may be rough, its not exactly “Charlotte’s portion of UNC funds”, but man, being a mecklenburg resident, UNC Charlotte grad, you certainly get the short end of the stick of funding enough.

The whole country may be getting screwed by this deal, but that's another story.
truth
The whole country may be getting screwed by this deal, but that's another story.
More and more I agree with this. The ACORN stuff really bothers me. Deeply.
every taxpayer is getting screwed with this plan.
I don't think we'll pay for it with taxes, I think we'll pay for it with inflation. Same ugly result, but wearing a different costume.
The difference is more along $12 per capita from the median. Then take that the average state has 4 million people, so that means if we'd get closer to the median, it'd mean $50 million for this state.

That could mean 14-20 new schools in this state for example.

screwed may be rough, its not exactly “Charlotte’s portion of UNC funds”, but man, being a mecklenburg resident, UNC Charlotte grad, you certainly get the short end of the stick of funding enough.

truth

True. NC is getting somewhat shortended, but NC is not getting UNCC’d, so maybe that’s why I don’t see it as such a bad thing.

too many professionals here and too many white construction workers. NC should just allow drilling for oil and nat gas off of their coast and proclaim states rights and exclude DC. the more people expect the feds to help, the more it will hurt us all…but we have purdue, sleazily’s twin…at least we have nick mackey

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;381176]…and proclaim states rights and exclude DC. [/QUOTE]

Didn’t we try that some 145+ years ago? :ohmy:

And after the war, the Union wouldn’t prosecute the Confederates for treason because they were afraid the Supreme Court would rule the whole war unconstitutional since states aren’t forbidden from secession. And they still aren’t.
Not that I want to secede, but it’s also not illegal.

NC is only getting $820 million out of this package for infrastructure/highway improvements. That won't go very far with today's material prices. The new Bonner bridge at the outer banks is estimated to be more than that by itself.

Why does OBX need a bridge? How many working individuals (not out of state vacationers) call OBX home?

Strap a toll to that sucker and make it pay for itself.