Not the same old story

When we lost to Cincy in Cincy, we did little right, but look at what we did yesterday. We shot 25-28 from the foul line and that won us the game. We also outrebounded them by 9 vs. them outrebounding us by 19 up there. Plav still took some bad 3s, but he did square up on a lot of them and it just makes you wonder how deadly he would be if he took good shots all the time. I also would love to see him come off a screen and pump fake, dribble drive and hit a 15 footer once in a while…

Anyway, the bottom line is that we really and truly did all the little things necessary to win and guess what? We won. Besides the bad shots by Plavich, we were pretty disciplined and for once, undiscipline (Muhammad) was the undoing of our opponent. Great crowd, great intensity, great win. If we could do this over the course of a season…wow, I could only imagine what we could accomplish.

Oh and Eddie Basden is the Player of the Year in CUSA no matter what the “experts” say. Man is simply one of the top 5 Niners ever if not the best…his jersey better be on that wall of fame when it’s all said and done.

[i]Originally posted by ATL_Niner[/i]@Feb 6 2005, 08:33 AM [b] Oh and Eddie Basden is the Player of the Year in CUSA no matter what the "experts" say. Man is simply one of the top 5 Niners ever if not the best...his jersey better be on that wall of fame when it's all said and done. [/b]
If he takes us to the Sweet 16 or farther, 13 should be on the wall. If not, then no. I've said it many times here: we're at a point in our history that retired numbers from here on have to be on players that take us to the sweet 16 or better. If not, we'll run out of numbers just because we love a player and not what they've done respective to where we are in our history. It would become a bit of a farce.

there should be some exceptions to the sweet sixteen rule. A conference player of the year should get an honored jersey even if the team is less than great.

the sweet sixteen rule does sound like a good standard though in general.

I would expect some deep runs and some nice accolades for a player to be considered for retirement of their number. This should be a very very big deal. I love Eddie and he is one of my all-time favorite players but, unless he gets us to the next level, then I would have to say no, as much as it would hurt to do so.

Several of the following for starters:
1500 points scored minimum
Conference player of the year
All-Conference 1st team at least twice
2nd team All-American minimum at least once

Any others?

[i]Originally posted by ATL_Niner[/i]@Feb 6 2005, 09:33 AM [b] When we lost to Cincy in Cincy, we did little right, but look at what we did yesterday. We shot 25-28 from the foul line and that won us the game. We also outrebounded them by 9 vs. them outrebounding us by 19 up there. Plav still took some bad 3s, but he did square up on a lot of them and it just makes you wonder how deadly he would be if he took good shots all the time. I also would love to see him come off a screen and pump fake, dribble drive and hit a 15 footer once in a while...

Anyway, the bottom line is that we really and truly did all the little things necessary to win and guess what? We won. Besides the bad shots by Plavich, we were pretty disciplined and for once, undiscipline (Muhammad) was the undoing of our opponent. Great crowd, great intensity, great win. If we could do this over the course of a season…wow, I could only imagine what we could accomplish.

Oh and Eddie Basden is the Player of the Year in CUSA no matter what the “experts” say. Man is simply one of the top 5 Niners ever if not the best…his jersey better be on that wall of fame when it’s all said and done. [/b]

Eddie played a great game, but still plavich had 26 points and made all his free throws, please get your foot off his nuts and your head out of eddie’s ass for one game. did you happen to post about eddie’s ECU performance? Eddie is a great player but some of ya’ll amaze me. Cincy was a team effort. A GREAT team effort.

???

Yes, it was a great team performance, but Eddie is the glue that holds this team together and the only reason we’ve won anywhere near as many games as we have.

He almost had a triple double in that game, and tied the conference record for steals. He’s three steals away from the niners’ record.

If you can call Eddie’s performance against ECU bad, then you can say he’s had one bad game out of 19. He still had 8 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 steals. Granted, he didn’t have a great night offensively, but he only shot 5 times.

Plav may have been player of the game, but like Huggins said, Eddie dominated the game. If you don’t like the fact that everyone is behind our best player, tough. We all want him to get the accolades he deserves. We haven’t had a player do as much by himself for our team in a loooooong time.

P.S. While Plav has had a big year this year, Withers has been so great this year. He leads us in scoring and rebounding and has been playing like a monster lately. His defensive presence against Hicks saved us. He was the only one who could handle hicks in the post. EJ and Iti got beat particularly bad. If Withers could have played more minutes (by staying out of foul trouble), we would have won more easily. Withers definitely will be fighting Eddie for CUSA POY if he keeps this up.

[i]Originally posted by ATL_Niner[/i]@Feb 6 2005, 08:33 AM [b] I also would love to see him come off a screen and pump fake, dribble drive and hit a 15 footer once in a while...

[/b]

i really don’t think he can - he’s 38% from inside the arc, and i actually feel more comfortable with him 25 feet from the basket. if you heard the post game thing on WFNZ they were saying someone said that when he recieves the bounce-pass to shoot a freethrow to just catch and shoot, and he’d make more. One of my friends said it’d be a good idea for plavich to shoot freethrows from the 3-point line.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Feb 6 2005, 11:41 PM [b] P.S. While Plav has had a big year this year, Withers has been so great this year. He leads us in scoring and rebounding and has been playing like a monster lately. His defensive presence against Hicks saved us. He was the only one who could handle hicks in the post. EJ and Iti got beat particularly bad. If Withers could have played more minutes (by staying out of foul trouble), we would have won more easily. Withers definitely will be fighting Eddie for CUSA POY if he keeps this up. [/b]
Withers has been great this year since the game at Cincy. Before then he looked half asleep and totally out of our games with the exception of Alabama and a few others. I love having Withers on our team. When he catches the ball in the post and moves his feet and does what he is capable of, he's great to watch and a great weapon.

Like I said, it’s the Curtis Withers rope-a-dope.

powerbait, i meant for my post to be more of taking up for plavich more than against eddie. Eddie has been huge in most games this season, but he couldnt do it without the other 4 guys on the team especially when one of those guys scores 26 and someone still talks about shot selection. A lot of people just will flat out love eddie and hate plavich no matter what. for a great defensive guy, there sure were a lot of open threes.

We are a pretty weak defensive team, though. A lot of people expect Eddie to have his man shut down, but coach uses him and Mitch a lot to make up for BP and EJ. There are a lot of plays (unless we’re in Man or Box-1) where Eddie will guard 4 different players because he picks up the slack for BP and EJ off screens.

He’s the best one on one defender we have and far and away the best overall defender, but rotating all night is hard, which is something he has to do because we have guys fall off on screens, miss their rotation, stand out of position, etc.

We don’t even have a solid 5 defensively. Curt, Eddie, Mitch and Chris are our best defenders. Leemire will be a lot better when he settles down and stops biting at everything the player throws at him. Brendan works his ass off. I wish he were more atheletic, but he probably wouldn’t have come here if he were, he would already be at a Duke, etc.

As much as I hate SLU’s style of play, I would love to take a page out of their defense. They are always in position, and everyone knows their part of the scheme. It’s why they have such low scoring games, they force the ball into bad shooter’s hands late in the shot clock. They don’t have any tricks, just solid position D.

For the record, I don’t hate Plavich. I have the right to question his and anyone’s shot selection though and I will continue to do so. If Hicks’ 15 footer goes down then everyone would have dwelled on how bad of a shot Plavich threw up a couple of plays before that. Look, he’s a good shooter when he squares up and is under control. He needs to be reigned in at times and that’s what I’ve been preaching.

[i]Originally posted by ATL_Niner[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 11:31 AM [b] For the record, I don't hate Plavich. I have the right to question his and anyone's shot selection though and I will continue to do so. If Hicks' 15 footer goes down then everyone would have dwelled on how bad of a shot Plavich threw up a couple of plays before that. Look, he's a good shooter when he squares up and is under control. He needs to be reigned in at times and that's what I've been preaching. [/b]
im sorry but do you mean Kirklands not Hicks? maybe you should work on your "Player observation naming" selection.

He did guard Kirkland, but he also got abused by Kirk and White when he guarded them. However, late in the second half, Withers bodied up Hicks. NLP can back me up on this, because we both noted the switch, and how effective it was. Withers is a big part of why Hicks stopped dominating in the low post late in the game.

The difference between the last game with Cinci and this game is; WE PLAYED WITH A PG.

We faked it for 20minutes at Cinci but we couldn’t pull it off for 40 minutes.

Mitch was huge, he allowed Eddie to get back into position, and forced them to avoid trapping and pressing.

As NLP also noted, they were scared of EJ, they weren’t sure how to guard him. If he can become a consistent offensive player, he will be very hard for other teams to shut down. Just sucks that it takes a year for guys like him to develop in the system.

[i]Originally posted by ninerID+Feb 7 2005, 10:41 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (ninerID @ Feb 7 2005, 10:41 AM)

Haha, I thought he was talking to me. I didn’t even pay attention to what he quoted.

I should work on reading comprehension.