Observation of Coach Lutz

While watching the TCU game the other day at a bar here in California this old war vet sitting next to me leans over and says…" That coach is a crazy man" referring to the way Bobby was mouthing the officials. I think Bobby is a great coach…but i’m concearned that this is getting out of hand and could cost us some of these close games.

Also it was cool to hear some of the other comments from some of the others in the bar. Many of the people knew who we were and one guy made a comment about how we dont’ have a football team. During the half time bit about our 77 run to the final four there was a bit about UCLA that got there atttention.

nINER 007

Relax Bobby has been in the game a while now he knows what he is doing, i really dont think he has ever cost us a Game and never will… In my opinion Bobby is one of the Best Coaches in the Nation… Im just kinda sad we are going to a weaker conference next year where other analysts will have an excuse for why he is winning so many games…

Kiger

sure he’s cost us a game…I remember a technical foul earlier this year that kept us from only having 2 losses at this point

Not making free throws and that bad jumpball call cost us that game.

Mouthing off and whining at the officials until a technical was called was, in my opinion, stupider and more ridiculous than missing some freethrows. I think Coach had more control over that than how off the mark the team was. Not only that, Bobby is well known for collecting many of T’s during the season for the same crap. Kinda’ embarassing.

WHATEVER.

:rolleyes:

I think he may take it to far sometimes, but I rather see him energized and caring than just sitting on the bench the entire game like a lot of coachs do.

Lutz drives me nuts, but he’s our coach. I don’t always like Lutzball, but we’re 14-3, that’s a wonderful number. We have two really tough games on our schedule left, that’s better than most teams in our conference. We have a legitimate chance to be conference champs by ourselves, if Bobby does that, he will be solidified as one of the best coaches we have. He’s got a chance to take us to the Sweet 16 this year. Not saying he will, but we are capable of doing it.

We have the most talented team we’ve had in a long time, we have not been blown out as a team all year (put Mitch in at UC, it’s a different game), we’re playing the best we have all season (which shows Bobby is making the right changes and helping the team gel) and we only stand to get better every year. If Michael Beasley comes here, Bobby could take us to places we never dreamed of, sometimes it only takes one player to do what seems impossible.

I can sympathize with people who want Bobby gone, because I understand why they feel the way they do, but for christ’s sake, he’s about to give us another 20 win season and winning is really all that matters. We’re getting local and national coverage like we have never had before (for a team not in the top 25), the student body is starting to wake back up, we’re getting respect from other team’s fans, we’re a program on the rise still, and until Bobby plateaus, he should be our coach.

I was really nervous about our team, because they looked like every other team we’ve had under Bobby, but the Marquette game and the TCU game, they have looked completely different. Normally, we would lose to a team that hits 11 3s on us in a half, but this team didn’t. We don’t have the big wins we had last year, but ever since the Cincy bitchslap, this team has come out playing at another level, for two games in a row even, something that didn’t really happen under Bobby. The next two games are cruicial to where this team goes, but if we win both, I don’t see how we won’t have a legitimate shot at the S16. We finally have chemistry out there, we’re moving the ball, and guys are accepting their roles. We don’t have a Butter or a Demon (who I loved to death) or a Curtis Nash or even a Brendan Plavich from last year who feels they need to take over the game. The closest is Eddie, but he rarely makes a lot of bad decisions, and he isn’t likely to shoot more than 4 threes in a game.

I think we should strive for a Sweet 16 this year, but I can’t say I am disappointed with the season last year or this year. If we have another 1 and done, I will be upset, but I know we are getting better every year, that’s the most important part to me.

Powerbait good post, have to agree with you on most issues.

This could be a special team.

And I agree we looked like a much better team the past two games

I think he did kinda cost us the bama game with a stupid T…at a real bad time.That said,I kinda liked his energy at the TCU game…he was really getting in some of the guys faces as the frogs were hitting 3 after 3.I still need to see us be on a par playing cinci and louisville before I can dream of sweet16’s,and,to be honest,as a coach…I think he can show more by having the team play 40 solid minutes vs. ECU than getting em sky high vs. the bearcraps.The only other thing that bothers me about Lutz,is when I was listening to the postgame after TCU,and I know someone else hit on it on a thread,he talked about how our defense was kinda weak there,but we knew we could outgun them…Why should those 2 things have anything to do with one another? Just cause we play uptempo offense,doesn’t mean we can’t play much better d.That stuff might suffice vs. TCU,but …at Louisville…I don’t think so.

[i]Originally posted by ninermike[/i]@Jan 28 2005, 07:54 PM [b] sure he's cost us a game...I remember a technical foul earlier this year that kept us from only having 2 losses at this point [/b]
what game was that if it was alabama .. all we had to do was make freakin free throws and we would have been golden.. but know lutz got on the officials b/c they sucked plain and simple

Kiger

Go NINERs

Lutz’ T in the Alabama game was not worse than the jump ball not called or the lack of productivity from Withers in OT.

[b]I was really nervous about our team, because they looked like every other team we've had under Bobby, but the Marquette game and the TCU game, they have looked completely different. [/b]

Absolutely correct. The past 2 games give every reason to think this season will be something different. However, we won’t know until the season is over. If this team pulls a “2004 Xavier” type of run (which is very possible) the rest of the way, these past 2 games will likely be the critical juncture of the season.

However, as we speak today, the Marquette & TCU wins are a couple of attaboys that can be wiped out by one “awww shit” (a loss in Greenville on Saturday).

Lutz’s technical did not cost us the game but did not help. Withers hanging on the rim then doing chin up and then a half twist before slapping the backboard and drawing a T did not help either. It comes down to a lot of little things that determines a close game.

[i]Originally posted by 9356niner[/i]@Jan 28 2005, 08:45 PM [b] Mouthing off and whining at the officials until a technical was called was, in my opinion, stupider and more ridiculous than missing some freethrows. I think Coach had more control over that than how off the mark the team was. Not only that, Bobby is well known for collecting many of T's during the season for the same crap. Kinda' embarassing. [/b]
Sometimes a coach has to mouth off and let 'em have it. The refs called fewer soft fouls on Charlotte afterwards. A tech can also motivate the team when they are flat.

Pig cut, that is so true.

I get the feeling some of you on this board want Lutz to be “liked” by other teams. I don’t care what any fan outside of Charlotte really thinks of Lutz. He does some stuff that I question but overall there isn’t a person I enjoy to watch coaching more then Lutz. We have improved as this season as gone on and PB is right. A sweet 16 is a realistic possibility.

[b]Lutz' T in the Alabama game was not worse than the jump ball not called[/b]

Lutz’ T in th Bama game was the reason for the jump ball call. It was the same official that gave Bobby the tech and if you don’t think that was a carry over call, you’re crazy.

I like Bobby, but he has a reputation with officials and other coaches as a whiner and his mouth cost us the Bama game.

A coaches tech is worse than a player getting one or missed free throws because he is an outside agency. He has no business being directly responsible for points being put on the board or causing a change of possession.

Regardless of whatever happened on the floor, Bobby’s T was the deciding factor in that game. I don’t see why some cannot accept this and move on.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Jan 29 2005, 08:29 AM [b] I don't see why some cannot accept this and move on. [/b]
Probably because many here don't take your opinion as fact and thus move on based on it.

Lutz’s T didn’t cost us that game, but it most certainly didn’t help. Only making 8 FT’s, Withers not showing up in OT etc. all contributed as well. We make 10 FT’s instead of 8 Bobby’s tech doesn’t mean a thing. That’s 2 FT’s between winning and losing.

You can’t argue on one hand that Indiana fans can’t complain about the one clock start that came when Brendan hit the half court shot because then they’d have to examine every start/stop during the game and on the other hand argue that Bobby’s T was the sole deciding factor in us losing to Bama.

Anyone who’s been around sports long enough knows that one single play or event is not the one and only reason a team loses a game. Except for the stupid tuck ruling that gift wrapped the Patriots their Superbowl trip against the Raiders. :stuck_out_tongue:

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Jan 29 2005, 08:42 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Jan 29 2005, 08:42 AM)
[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Jan 29 2005, 08:58 AM [b] I would agree with your post if Lutz was a player but he is a coach and as a coach he has no business being directly responsible for giving the opponent 2 points an possession of the ball.

It’s no different than if you ran on the court during the Bama game, tackled an official, and we were assessed a T. You would have cost us that game. [/b]

We’ll just agree to disagree.

[b]The tuck rule didn't put points on the board. The Patriots did that themselves. Don't player hate MK. The Raiders had 60 minutes to prove they were a better team and couldn't. Now if Gruden had been directly responsible for 2 points and change of possession, this may be a valid analogy. :rolleyes:[/b]

I was actually just joking to make a friendly dig at you. Guess it got missed.