Observer articles

Observer: 49ers Rebound

Janovy: Snow excuse - go see 49ers women

You’re a wee bit slow on the trigger this morning TF, Isn’t it nice.

But I did need to view the comics this morning…

[SIZE=1]No U of M pressure, says alleged victim
By Gary Parrish, Memphis Commercial Appeal
January 22, 2005

BIRMINGHAM – Contrary to television reports, Tamika Rogers told The Commercial Appeal on Friday that she doesn’t feel John Calipari pressured her to not file charges against University of Memphis basketball player Jeremy Hunt.

“He didn’t try to or have anybody try to talk me out of pressing charges,” Rogers said. “I do feel that Coach Cal wanted to know if I was pressing charges. But nobody tried to talk me out of it.”

Rogers acknowledged that Anthony Rice – a senior on the team and the boyfriend of her sister, Raven Rogers – called last week and asked if she was pressing charges in the aftermath of a Jan. 10 incident that left her battered. However, Rogers said Rice never indicated that Calipari or any other coach would rather her not go forward with the case.

“Some of the television stations said I said that,” Rogers said. “But I didn’t say that.”

Rogers said that she hasn’t spoken with any Memphis coach. She said the only person on the other side of this ongoing saga that has attempted to contact her is Hunt’s attorney, Leslie Ballin.

“He’s called several times,” Rogers said. “But I haven’t talked to him either.”

Calipari and all UofM officials, including Rice, are under instructions not to comment on this case, and thus did not Friday.

The Tigers (10-8, 3-1) play at UAB (13-5, 3-2) today at 1. It will be Hunt’s second game back, following a two-game suspension.

Blazers hang on, despite Tiger tries
UAB 73, University of Memphis 70

By Gary Parrish, Memphis Commercial Appeal
January 22, 2005

BIRMINGHAM – Coming out of the timeout, John Calipari just wanted one good shot.

That’s all.

Just one.

Because with the way the University of Memphis had been shooting, one was probably all it would take.

“But we had three great looks at it,” Calipari said later. “I was just hoping one of them would drop.”

The Tigers lost to UAB on Saturday, 73-70, because not one of those three shots dropped.

Not Jeremy Hunt’s.

Not Rodney Carney’s.

Not Duane Erwin’s, though it was close, and rimmed out as time expired.

Had any of those 3-point attempts fallen in the final 14 seconds, then perhaps Memphis (10-9, 3-2) could’ve stolen a game at Bartow Arena in overtime and sent the rowdy crowd of 7,979 home disappointed.

Instead, it was the Tigers who exited upset. And the only “Memphis” player left with a smile was Marvett McDonald, UAB’s junior from Northside High who was never recruited by his hometown Tigers and swears it doesn’t bother him.

“I was just trying to take this game like every other game,” said McDonald, who finished with a team-high 16 points. “I just wanted to help my team win.”

Which he did, especially in the first half, when McDonald hit four 3-pointers – including a 25-footer over Anthony Rice – and got 14 of his points. Thanks to that effort, and 14 Memphis turnovers, UAB (14-5, 4-2) led 45-34 at the break despite the Tigers shooting 52.9 percent from the field.

That UAB advantage expanded to 14 points in the second half, but Memphis rallied and reclaimed the lead, 63-62, on a pair of Darius Washington free throws with 5:39 remaining.

After that, there were three ties and seven lead changes. The last one came with 88 seconds left, when Ronell Taylor picked up a loose ball and scored an easy layup to give UAB a 71-70 advantage.

Two Demario Eddins free throws pushed the score to 73-70 with 17.6 seconds remaining. Then Calipari called a timeout with 14.6 left and designed a play that was supposed to go to Carney.

Instead, Hunt got the first look and missed badly. Then Carney got a chance, and missed badly. Then Erwin got the final chance, one that rimmed out as the horn sounded.

For UAB, it was a moment of redemption. Last Wednesday night, the Blazers were beaten at Tulane on a last-second 3-pointer.

“At least I saw my guys in a better position and at least contesting these,” said UAB coach Mike Anderson, who earned his first career win against Memphis. “The last shot – the one ‘Red’ Erwin shot that went in-and-out – that was probably the cleanest look they got. But I guess sometimes when you play at home it helps a little bit.”

Breaking down the box score, there were several odd statistics, some of which may never happen again.

Memphis lost despite shooting 50.0 percent from the field, 42.1 percent from 3-point range and 78.3 percent from the line.

Meanwhile, UAB won despite shooting 26.3 percent from the field in the second half, and being held to just one field goal in the final 10:30.

“Is that what it was?” Anderson asked when this was brought to his attention. “I had no idea. I just kept looking at the scoreboard to see if we were still ahead.”

Washington, the maturing point guard, led Memphis with 26 points, including 18 in the first half. Carney was the only other Tiger to reach double-figures with 12 points and three rebounds.

Hunt added eight points and four rebounds in his second game back from a two-game suspension, and Erwin got eight points and seven rebounds in 36 minutes.

“UAB played great,” Calipari said. “They deserved to win this one.”[/SIZE]